Gas Grill ???

• After owning a BGE for 5+ years
    The ONLY reason I would own a gas grill would be to start some WOOD on fire for use in the BGE.
    I was buying a gas grill every 2-3 years because their stainless burners would burn up, the grates and metal would rust.
    The BGE just keeps going and going.

• Guess it depends on climate. I live in the desert southwest & have been using the same Weber gas grill weekly for 7 years & it’s like brand new.

Up until that point, I was always a charcoal grill guy (always used the larger model Weber Smoky Joe type of grills). Sure is nice not having a mess to deal with. Keep an extra full propane tank handy & if I run out while cooking, am back in business in less than a minute. After a gas grill has been used for a while (broken in & “flavored up”) it’s hard to tell the difference from a charcoal grill - food tastes just as good. YMMV

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• Guess it depends on climate. I live in the desert southwest & have been using the same Weber gas grill weekly for 7 years & it’s like brand new.

Up until that point, I was always a charcoal grill guy (always used the larger model Weber Smoky Joe type of grills). Sure is nice not having a mess to deal with. Keep an extra full propane tank handy & if I run out while cooking, am back in business in less than a minute. After a gas grill has been used for a while (broken in & “flavored up”) it’s hard to tell the difference from a charcoal grill - food tastes just as good. YMMV

I think your right - ain’t nuthin rustin where you live - here in coonass land if my bride stays outside for more than 15 minutes she starts to rust :00008172: With all you guys happy with BGE I think I’m gonna give it a try - thanks for the info everybody

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Same result as @Tripod here. I have a Char Broil Commercial unit. Brass burners, and stainless grates. I keep a tank full of propane handy also, so I'm never out. Mine was purchased in November of 2001. Still works great, and tastes more like charcoal than you would think. I can have it up and running to temp in minutes, usually we have something to go do so I'm thankful to at least have a grill flavor in a short time.

I can't say I wouldn't like to have or use a BGE if I had one at times. Charcoal does add a little flavor, but also adds time. Usually I just want something good and rather quick, as I have other things that I want/need to do. The gas wins hands down for that.

• Same result as @Tripod here. I have a Char Broil Commercial unit. Brass burners, and stainless grates. I keep a tank full of propane handy also, so I'm never out. Mine was purchased in November of 2001. Still works great, and tastes more like charcoal than you would think. I can have it up and running to temp in minutes, usually we have something to go do so I'm thankful to at least have a grill flavor in a short time.

I can't say I wouldn't like to have or use a BGE if I had one at times. Charcoal does add a little flavor, but also adds time. Usually I just want something good and rather quick, as I have other things that I want/need to do. The gas wins hands down for that.

That’s what has me on the fence - the ease of use not having to mess with charcoal. You live in a way drier climate than I do - hell I been using a $50 Old Smokey for years - they last a year or two and they have served me well and that’s why springing for $800 for a charcoal BBQ pit goes against ever fiber of my tight ass :00008359:

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Well all you guys aren’t as fortunate us here in the Great State of Texas. We have an unlimited supply of the best grill wood in the world, mesquite, in my opinion it will flavor and season the meat,grill and smoke box. I have a grill made from a piece of caseing 1/4 thick with fire box. Holds temperature really well. The best part is the start of fire ,while having a couple beers and then cooking and watching the fire with a couple more beers. I also have a Great Outdoors gas grill that I use occasionally. It is all aluminum lasted 9 years +. I know there will be some controversy about this but it is my opinion and I know I will have fellow Texans agree for sure.

Keep Three Wheels Down

• Well all you guys aren’t as fortunate us here in the Great State of Texas. We have an unlimited supply of the best grill wood in the world, mesquite, in my opinion it will flavor and season the meat,grill and smoke box. I have a grill made from a piece of caseing 1/4 thick with fire box. Holds temperature really well. The best part is the start of fire ,while having a couple beers and then cooking and watching the fire with a couple more beers. I also have a Great Outdoors gas grill that I use occasionally. It is all aluminum lasted 9 years +. I know there will be some controversy about this but it is my opinion and I know I will have fellow Texans agree for sure.

Yup... Mesquite... A long slow burn before you get ready to grill... :00000436:

• I'm also late to the party, but I've always been a natural gas guy. My insurance company just bought me a new Weber Summit Series natural gas grill because the thermometer on my 7 year old Master Forge got busted in a hail storm. So now I have two massive grills and both work great. Apple wood smoker in each one and the ribs turn out amazing.

#02828 January 2015 build date.
    Here to assist anyone in the Denver area.

• Bah,

MHP - Modern Home Products Outdoor Gas Grills

Made in USA, and you can pass it to your grandkids in your will. Not too cheap, but not that expensive either. Nice stuff, and they last. The stainless grill rack itself weighs more than most of the garbage grills from so called home improvement rip off stores.

Weber, since moving production to China, sucks. I had a USA made Weber that lasted almost 25 years. Replaced it with a Chinese Weber, which lasted 18 months. Pretty darn expensive for 18 months. Never again.

I plumbed to house gas. No tank. If I want a smoky flavor, i put some damp chips in foil in the corner - works a treat. Briquettes are for folks that can't figure out push button ignition. Who knows, maybe there is a market for a coal fired Slingshot. Get rid of that confusing start button.

• When it comes to a cheaper grill while getting amazing results, nothing beats a good ol' Webber Kettle Grill.

I've bought a second one and am planning to build this with it.

I have a set of Gas burners from Cabella's to place on the other side. Can't wait to get it done.