Another Battery Question

• While I was working on my Slingshot, for the first time, I was paying close attention on how our Slingshot is built and the parts they used. One thing that stood out to me was the motorcycle battery I have in my 2016 SL/LE black with red accent model. I have seen on this forum how the earlier models had the larger 575 cca (?) battery while the later ones received a smaller 400 cca battery.
    It seems from my research all that is needed to upgrade to a larger, Non-Optima battery, is the early O.E.M battery clamp, bought from a Polaris dealer, and a group 34/78 or Group 26 battery. Am I right or is there more to the upgrade? Pictures I have looked at seem like the battery tray size has stayed the same, making no difference to the size battery. And looking at parts diagram blow-ups on-line from Polaris dealers, show just a larger CCA battery and the battery clamp, nothing more besides the obvious battery terminal changes to fit the posts. Is it really this easy and inexpensive to install something better, and not have to resort to an aftermarket battery tray to fit an overpriced Made in Mexico Optima battery?
    Thank you for your help. It really is amazing the information that is available from this group!

If you get hit, it's because you were there.

• While I was working on my Slingshot, for the first time, I was paying close attention on how our Slingshot is built and the parts they used. One thing that stood out to me was the motorcycle battery I have in my 2016 SL/LE black with red accent model. I have seen on this forum how the earlier models had the larger 575 cca (?) battery while the later ones received a smaller 400 cca battery.
    It seems from my research all that is needed to upgrade to a larger, Non-Optima battery, is the early O.E.M battery clamp, bought from a Polaris dealer, and a group 34/78 or Group 26 battery. Am I right or is there more to the upgrade? Pictures I have looked at seem like the battery tray size has stayed the same, making no difference to the size battery. And looking at parts diagram blow-ups on-line from Polaris dealers, show just a larger CCA battery and the battery clamp, nothing more besides the obvious battery terminal changes to fit the posts. Is it really this easy and inexpensive to install something better, and not have to resort to an aftermarket battery tray to fit an overpriced Made in Mexico Optima battery?
    Thank you for your help. It really is amazing the information that is available from this group!

Are you a 16 or 16.5? Makes a difference on the answer. For the 16.5 you will need to purchase an adapter to secure the battery. Both slingmods and slingshot only have the mounts, and they include the battery terminals adapters.

Not sure. It is the Pearl Black with Red Accents SL/LE. It did not have the heat shield parts on it when I bought it this September. The dealer also told me they reoplaced the battery because they had it on the lot so long and did not take care of the battery that they had to replace it. I thought I saw somewhere in my paperwork from the dealer it was made in October of 2015 but the title says 2016.

If you get hit, it's because you were there.

• Not sure. It is the Pearl Black with Red Accents SL/LE. It did not have the heat shield parts on it when I bought it this September. The dealer also told me they reoplaced the battery because they had it on the lot so long and did not take care of the battery that they had to replace it. I thought I saw somewhere in my paperwork from the dealer it was made in October of 2015 but the title says 2016.

An October 2015 manufacture date sounds like an early 2016 model and should normally have the larger battery. The dealer may have just used the newer battery type.
    Agree that a pic of the battery should rapidly get clarification.

• I think I fubared my battery. Went for a ride on Black Friday and had my seat cushion heater plugged into the center power outlet (always hot) and when I got home I forgot to unplug it. It was plugged in for 3 days before I happen to catch it. Now battery is at 3.7 volts and wont take a charge at all. Charger gives an error of F03 which is an open cell or sulfated. Crap what a stupid mistake. $100.00 plus booboo.

• I think I fubared my battery. Went for a ride on Black Friday and had my seat cushion heater plugged into the center power outlet (always hot) and when I got home I forgot to unplug it. It was plugged in for 3 days before I happen to catch it. Now battery is at 3.7 volts and wont take a charge at all. Charger gives an error of F03 which is an open cell or sulfated. Crap what a stupid mistake. $100.00 plus booboo.

Remove battery, turn upside down, shake vigorously, turn it back over & then reattempt to charge. Sometimes, this works...

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• Lead (Pb) sloughs off the plates when discharging. After an over-discharge event like you’ve had, all that lead is piled up on the bottom of the battery, shorting out the plates so that they cannot accept a charge. Turning it upside down & shaking it puts the lead particles into suspension & removes the short circuit path temporarily. I would put a higher charge rate on it intially (say 10A for 1 hour or so to help drive the lead back onto the plates) then slow your charging rate back down to 2-4 Amps until fully charged.

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• @Tripod, tried the shaking but didn't seem to help, then charger crapped out. (it was fairly old) Decided to get a new and improved charger, one that can handle all the modern day batteries. It has a battery recondition mode and can sense severely depleted batteries. Put it on and tried charging and seems to be doing fine. Fingers crossed. The battery is an Interstate battery so I don't know if it is an OEM battery or after market. No date on it for warranty so may be OEM.

Battery voltage might be to low for the charger that you are using also

• An October 2015 manufacture date sounds like an early 2016 model and should normally have the larger battery. The dealer may have just used the newer battery type.Agree that a pic of the battery should rapidly get clarification.

mine was manufacture on 08/2015 listed as a 16 and sold with a tiny battery, so it is safe to assume that anything manufactured after 08/2015 has a motorcycle battery

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• mine was manufacture on 08/2015 listed as a 16 and sold with a tiny battery, so it is safe to assume that anything manufactured after 08/2015 has a motorcycle battery

I guess Polaris must have switched the battery size at the beginning of the 2016 model run. I had been under the impression the change was made when Polaris intro'd the additional heat insulation.