Dreaming of a paint job on the sling

• Have you tried contacting local schools/colleges that have Auto Body programs?

Sometimes they will do jobs for very cheap as your vehicle would be canvas for the students to learn on.

Usually the instructors make sure you get a quality product back.[/b]

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• Let's face it, Painter is the expert here and he can confirm what I am guessing to be true, or confirm that I'm totally wrong again. Most pinstripers probably use an enamel paint and the Polaris panels are painted in a urethane based product. Enamel reducer MAY remove the bad pine strip job without damaging the factory paint if that's your major OCD issue with what you see wrong. PLEASE VERIFY THIS BEFORE ATTEMPTING IT AS IT IS ONLY A THOUGHT. You can then add whatever graphics you want from @robert.piner or @slingmods. I have the AMR kit on mine as well and to be totally honest with you, it too has some issues. So don't trade in what you have thinking that for $600 and a lot of work on your part, you'll have an issue free product.

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Awesome advice @BKL! I am more than willing to disassemble thanks to @Painters awesome videos! Already did it once to spray peel coat myself, but wasn't happy with it. Become even more obsessed when I'm doing the work...

I might be okay if someone else does it... Might not :/

Anyway, please send me more info in a conversation! And pictures! Hopefully you paid less than a grand... Because the graphics kit I'm considering is about $600.

If you know a local vinyl sign 'guy' might talk to him about some special one of a kind graphics. Might be able to do some neat work for under $100.00!!!!!!!

• Have you tried contacting local schools/colleges that have Auto Body programs?

Sometimes they will do jobs for very cheap as your vehicle would be canvas for the students to learn on.

Usually the instructors make sure you get a quality product back.[/b]

I am ashamed to admit that I had forgotten all about using a local high school or college auto shop program. I say ashamed because my family has a history in the teaching profession and I should've remembered that. My Dad and relatives used such programs when I was growing up. The only drawback to such a route is they usually need the vehicle for an extended period of time.

• I forgot to mention that my neighbor teaches Auto Shop at a local High School, but I can't remember which one! I was talking to him a couple months ago and thinking he'd been our neighbor for about 1 years and was shocked to learn he moved in 3 yrs ago! My Wife and I stay up late every night and sleep late, so we don;t see the neighbors real often. :D

• 1. Using a High School/College Body Shop Class is a stellar idea! Being in Education you may have some 'pull' of a class project. I'm sure the students would love the Sling!!!

2. Do not use enamel reducer on your paint!!!!! For pinstripe removal ( which is usually One Shot enamel) try Easy Off Oven Cleaner.

• 1. Using a High School/College Body Shop Class is a stellar idea! Being in Education you may have some 'pull' of a class project. I'm sure the students would love the Sling!!!

2. Do not use enamel reducer on your paint!!!!! For pinstripe removal ( which is usually One Shot enamel) try Easy Off Oven Cleaner.

See, that's why he's NUMERO UNO in my book. Thanks Jim for setting me and the world straight on what NOT to do to a slingshot's paint

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• 2. Do not use enamel reducer on your paint!!!!! For pinstripe removal ( which is usually One Shot enamel) try Easy Off Oven Cleaner.

The technical talk has me confused, but... The stripes have a gloss look which makes me wonder if there was clear coat added? Keep in mind I know nothing... So I'll post some close ups when I get a chance here...

• The technical talk has me confused, but... The stripes have a gloss look which makes me wonder if there was clear coat added? Keep in mind I know nothing... So I'll post some close ups when I get a chance here...

Pinstripe paint is glossy.

• Mim,

I drool at our baby each time I see it. We waited 10 months before we turned him over to Painter. I can say without a doubt it was well worth the wait. I have to say exactly what DK said. Save up and let the master Painter take your ideas and create YOUR masterpiece. You will be so happy that you did.
    Don't waste your money on mods right now. Save and get the best mod I think that will make it your own and put a great big grin on your face each time you look at it.
    Ours certainly does.
    Pam

• Mim,
    I drool at our baby each time I see it. We waited 10 months before we turned him over to Painter. I can say without a doubt it was well worth the wait. I have to say exactly what DK said. Save up and let the master Painter take your ideas and create YOUR masterpiece. You will be so happy that you did.
    Don't waste your money on mods right now. Save and get the best mod I think that will make it your own and put a great big grin on your face each time you look at it.
    Ours certainly does.
    Pam

The mod that Painter performs is truely a one of a kind. The rest of your future mods will only be done augment what you and Painter create.

• I felt the same, but for another reason @BKL!

I'm in education! So I'll be looking into this... Will be asking if any HISD schools do such a thing. Hope it's not a conflict of interest or anything... We will see...

I wouldn't expect HISD to have any internal rules against HISD employees take advantage of the Auto Shop students. After all, you're providing project material to help the students learn. If there is a policy concern, you should probably be able to use a different ISD.