Steering Wheel - is bigger always better?

• OK, so by the title, leaves the door wide open. I'm not 100% sure of the size and depth of the stock steering wheel, but I believe it's about 14-15 inches wide. Who has an opinion on going smaller or even the "D" shaped wheels? I'm a big dude and find making quick adjustments with the stock wheel a bit awkward and I'm not 100% sure why, but I think if I want to fly around a 90deg. turn, I want to turn faster and the stock wheel could benefit from being smaller?? If the stock is 14", then maybe going with a 10"... Figured I'd put it out there and see what others found.

:00000436:
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• OK, so by the title, leaves the door wide open. I'm not 100% sure of the size and depth of the stock steering wheel, but I believe it's about 14-15 inches wide. Who has an opinion on going smaller or even the "D" shaped wheels? I'm a big dude and find making quick adjustments with the stock wheel a bit awkward and I'm not 100% sure why, but I think if I want to fly around a 90deg. turn, I want to turn faster and the stock wheel could benefit from being smaller?? If the stock is 14", then maybe going with a 10"... Figured I'd put it out there and see what others found.

I've got the Dshaped assault wheel and the nrg quick disconnect (both from Slingmods) and it's phonomenal. Easier to turn in my opinion and it makes a hell of a difference when getting out of the Sling.

RNJ12

• Like @rnj12, I also have the D shaped Assault Industries wheel, but I didn't get the quick release. That moved the wheel towards you, and at 6'4" with monkey arms, I need the distance. The D shape still helps though. This wheel is about an inch or more smaller than stock.

• Like @rnj12, I also have the D shaped Assault Industries wheel, but I didn't get the quick release. That moved the wheel towards you, and at 6'4" with monkey arms, I need the distance. The D shape still helps though. This wheel is about an inch or more smaller than stock.

It does move it closer but I just tighten my belt one more notch or suck in my gut when my wife is with me. When she isn't I just set my stomach on it and that way I don't need hands to hold the wheel.

RNJ12

My thought was to go with a quick release, but then a flat steering wheel so the distance may still be farther away than stock. Wasn’t sure if anyone had tried it.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

I am 6'4" and in exactly the same situation as @Goats_Hogs, and I had the same reason for not getting the quick disconnect. The only thing that I had to learn all over again was that I cannot hold the wheel steady with my knee if I need my hands for something, like you can with a round wheel. Other than that, I love the style of wheel.

• Various opinions about this. Out our way, the guys who track choose the smaller wheel. Less flapping around in turns, but more effort. I track too, and would personally prefer a larger wheel. Less effort to turn. That way, I can track, and smoke, and drink coffee, and eat a donut, and shave, and schedule a hooker on my cell phone, all at the same time. Steer with my knees.

Might just get a spinner for the tight twisties. See Brodie knob - Wikipedia

The 'D' wheels are for big bacon bellies sliding in and out. Only works if the wheel is lined up on entry/exit, otherwise no benefit.

• OK, so on Slingmods.com, they have the Assault steering wheel. It's basically flat with a adapter and it's still way farther forward than I want. Looks like may have to go with regular bolt on.

• I am 6'4" and in exactly the same situation as @Goats_Hogs, and I had the same reason for not getting the quick disconnect. The only thing that I had to learn all over again was that I cannot hold the wheel steady with my knee if I need my hands for something, like you can with a round wheel. Other than that, I love the style of wheel.

Learned that too Jared! Very quickly! (read as I headed towards the right hand ditch!) But I've adapted and now put my knee to the left and up. Not as natural, but it works pretty well. But this, like skydiving, if you fail the first time, you likely won't get a second time..... :D

• I have a smaller than stock D shaped removable wheel. Have never removed it. I prefer small diameter and fat grip type of steering wheels. I am 6’3” and find the D shape with the small diameter makes getting in and out earier.

• I am 6'4" and in exactly the same situation as @Goats_Hogs, and I had the same reason for not getting the quick disconnect. The only thing that I had to learn all over again was that I cannot hold the wheel steady with my knee if I need my hands for something, like you can with a round wheel. Other than that, I love the style of wheel.

lol.... also 6'4" and same story about relearning how to use your legs when driving. One leg.... the Sling will aim for the ditch. But if you use both legs while the cruise is on, it can still be done

• The quick release pushes the wheel closer to you but the the wheel being almost flat makes up the difference. With them two factors make it same or very close as stock.

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Info