Painted Brake Calipers

• I actually took my calipers off because I was doing the rotors as well. I did not break the hydraulic lines but I did take the parking brake stuff off because it was easier than trying to tape it off. I used some Krylon paint from wally world, 2000 degree Orange, that looked pretty close to the red on the hood strip, and then clear. Baked the rotors in the wife's oven according to directions on the can. Been several months and many miles with little to no paint fall off.

LC

• I actually took my calipers off because I was doing the rotors as well. I did not break the hydraulic lines but I did take the parking brake stuff off because it was easier than trying to tape it off. I used some Krylon paint from wally world, 2000 degree Orange, that looked pretty close to the red on the hood strip, and then clear. Baked the rotors in the wife's oven according to directions on the can. Been several months and many miles with little to no paint fall off.

LC

Looks damn good I will say

RNJ12

• I used one of those brush on caliper paint kits. Worked pretty good. Requires lots of patience which I did not have. Looked ok from a distance. Up close it looked like my 5yr old painted them.

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...

• I've always painted mine while still mounted. I just use copious amounts of the blue painter's tape, and newspapers to cover all the expose areas. I use the Hi-Temp engine paint in rattle cans on mine. I like to start off by thoroughly cleaning/de-greasing the calipers with spray brake cleaner, then apply several coats of silver engine paint for a base coat (helps make the final color pop), plus those first layers help smooth out the surface of the calipers. Then I apply at least 2 coats of the final color (Always red on my vehicles). Once the paint has dried completely, I remove all the tape and newspapers, then clean any over-spray with a little paint thinner. I've always been happy with the results and the paint holds up forever!!!!

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• I was going to do the painting then I thought about the time and effort involved and just went with the quick fix caliper covers. Yes, more expensive but it took about 30 minutes and I was rolling and it looks great.

• I was going to do the painting then I thought about the time and effort involved and just went with the quick fix caliper covers. Yes, more expensive but it took about 30 minutes and I was rolling and it looks great.

@MISC in retrospect I should have done the cover. I plan to do that for my 2018. Will paint them to match my Lime Squeeze!!!!

Well actually I will beg @Painter to paint them for me. :D

I'm eager to put mine on but haven't had the time! @Painter did an amazing job (as always) on the ones @Bill Martin passed on to me!

• Can the bracket that holds the caliper on be powder coated?

RNJ12

Any metal part that can withstand 400°F can be powder coated (PC). Even plastics and MDF can be PC'd. However, it's probably not very cost effective for a single small part unless you have the equipment and can do it yourself. Harbor Freight sells a PC system for $75, but you'd still need an oven and consumables. For one or two small items, rattle can is cheaper and, if applied correctly, reasonably durable.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    ― Douglas Adams

• Any metal part that can withstand 400°F can be powder coated (PC). Even plastics and MDF can be PC'd. However, it's probably not very cost effective for a single small part unless you have the equipment and can do it yourself. Harbor Freight sells a PC system for $75, but you'd still need an oven and consumables. For one or two small items, rattle can is cheaper and, if applied correctly, reasonably durable.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

I’m loaded with tons of extra money in the bank but thanks for your answer. I didn’t know if some metals would hold the paint as well as others or not. Has anyone powdercoated their upper or lower A-arms that you can recall?

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• I’m loaded with tons of extra money in the bank but thanks for your answer. I didn’t know if some metals would hold the paint as well as others or not. Has anyone powdercoated their upper or lower A-arms that you can recall?

@mniron has them painted can't recall if he power coated them or good old paint.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Can the bracket that holds the caliper on be powder coated?

RNJ12

It actually is the knuckle you are referring to if it is stock configuration. I removed mine and had them powder coated. I also powder coated all the small brackets and the shock mount on the upper and lower a-frames. Some others beside myself have powder coated the a-frames. There is no issues powder coating these pieces, proper preparation is key to powder coating as is any other type of painting.

• It actually is the knuckle you are referring to if it is stock configuration. I removed mine and them powder coated. I also powder coated all the small brackets and the shock mount on the upper and lower a-frames. Some others beside myself have powder coated the a-frames. There is no issues powder coating these pieces, proper preparation is key to powder coating as is any other type of painting.

Thank you for that info now time to shop around for a good powder coating company here in the Bay Area.

• Thank you for that info now time to shop around for a good powder coating company here in the Bay Area.

C2Powder in Sarasota does lots of wheels, I know he has done some sling wheels. Not sure if he is doing other stuff, his website all shows wheels. Kevin is the owner, if you call.

The trouble with bucket seats is not everyone has the same size 'bucket'.