Luggage Racks Anyone?

• @SlingLow... put me in for interested. Just need final info and price. Would be good to see it on the sling. Wife and I would like to travel a bit in 2018. Maybe hit Georgia, NC, Tennessee area in the spring... who knows. Want to be in Florida too for a bit this summer. Let me know! Nice job!

:00000436:
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• Those look AWESOME! :thumbup: Does the overhang over the fuel fill area affect ability to refuel?

According to @FunCycle who's dimensions I used, no. The rack does extend over approximately 3/4 to 7/8 of the gas cap at a height of 5 3/4" above the filler tube. As soon as I pulled it out for pics it started to rain so no trip to the gas station. It looks pretty tight to me - I'll check it out as soon as I can.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• And look at that red rear protection panel... Dresses up his end nicely!

:00008084:

Thanks @MiM! I will be updating the rear panel thread later this morning. One item to take care of is painting those black fasteners red to eliminate the bolt-on look they create. Maybe I'll find some chrome paint while I'm at it for that one special forum member.

• Hope you can understand what I am saying. I have a wing on the back that mounts to the frame. I gas up by using the side which most people I imagine do. Are you able to gas up by using the side that you would normally use or did you have to add it another way? It looks like it would have to go under the rack more by using the side and I am not sure you can do that. Let me know as I am interested.

• Thanks @MiM! I will be updating the rear panel thread later this morning. One item to take care of is painting those black fasteners red to eliminate the bolt-on look they create. Maybe I'll find some chrome paint while I'm at it for that one special forum member.

The wife liked the black with the bars, but I over ruled that. The black seems to just to fade into the back of the SS. Just a suggestion if you go ahead and make the next one, paint it with the chrome paint where you can really see the difference. On mine (on my SS) everything is rounded off, even the welds in the inside corners and all of the stainless hardware is polished. A lot of extra time went into the detail work. I told everyone to do there own detail work and save money that way. I would not make another set like mine and sell for $400 but a lot of time to do the detail.

• Hope you can understand what I am saying. I have a wing on the back that mounts to the frame. I gas up by using the side which most people I imagine do. Are you able to gas up by using the side that you would normally use or did you have to add it another way? It looks like it would have to go under the rack more by using the side and I am not sure you can do that. Let me know as I am interested.

I'm not sure the exact question, but I have not fueled up with the racks on yet. When I do, I will post up pics from the gas station. The best way to fuel up is to use @samowens44 s method of 'sliding the nozzle in' at approximately the 1 to 2 o'clock position, following the angle of the filler neck. This should allow the nozzle to clear the back of the rack. It looks to be tight. Are you saying that you have to fuel directly from the side - in other words the nozzle would be in the 3 o'clock position? Can you post up a pic of your wing to show me your issue?

• I'm not sure the exact question, but I have not fueled up with the racks on yet. When I do, I will post up pics from the gas station. The best way to fuel up is to use @samowens44 s method of 'sliding the nozzle in' at approximately the 1 to 2 o'clock position, following the angle of the filler neck. This should allow the nozzle to clear the back of the rack. It looks to be tight. Are you saying that you have to fuel directly from the side - in other words the nozzle would be in the 3 o'clock position? Can you post up a pic of your wing to show me your issue?

There is no problem gassing up in the normal position. The nozzle is flat/horz. and in the 7 to 8 o-clock position looking toward the front of the Slingshot (not straight up in the air like some people say) I hope that makes sense, I do not do pictures

• Hopefully will help see what I am talking about as far as the location of the wing.

Yes it will work. You can use a roughly 10 inch by 20 inch tube bag or the med. sissy bar bag ( the one that opens on the top ) works perfectly. Also this will work with the stinger tops you just have to drill and tap one hole and find some spacers

• Hopefully will help see what I am talking about as far as the location of the wing.

First of all, nice Slingshot! It's difficult to tell the exact position of the endplate but from what I see, if the front of the endplate allows you to angle the fuel nozzle to the 2 o'clock position, the racks should not interfere. If it requires you to come in at a 90 degree angle to the Sling, it's going to be an issue. I've been considering different configurations, but have determined that any moving parts (pivots/hinges) will complicate the construction, increase cost, and possibly reduce strength. If the racks are reduced in size it will compromise the usability. Right now, I'm thinking that these will likely live on the Sling since, in my opinion, they add to the overall look, even without luggage. And I'll be able to haul a couple more cases of beer gallons of milk with the ol' grocery-getter.

Edit: Just read your last post. It sounds like you must come in from the side. Thinking.....

• First of all, nice Slingshot! It's difficult to tell the exact position of the endplate but from what I see, if the front of the endplate allows you to angle the fuel nozzle to the 2 o'clock position, the racks should not interfere. If it requires you to come in at a 90 degree angle to the Sling, it's going to be an issue. I've been considering different configurations, but have determined that any moving parts (pivots/hinges) will complicate the construction, increase cost, and possibly reduce strength. If the racks are reduced in size it will compromise the usability. Right now, I'm thinking that these will likely live on the Sling since, in my opinion, they add to the overall look, even without luggage. And I'll be able to haul a couple more cases of beer gallons of milk with the ol' grocery-getter.
    Edit: Just read your last post. It sounds like you must come in from the side. Thinking.....

You can almost get to the 90 degree with the SS to the rack

• Well @Miller Time I got some pics fueling up with the racks on today. Unfortunately my computer won't read the memory card right now. I'll work on it in the morning and hopefully get them up. The nozzle does fit pointing in the 2 o'clock but not quite to 3 o'clock position. Anyway, a picture is worth 1000 words so I'll put them up here when I figure it out.

I do have a couple of takers so I can commit to a shipped price of $295 for anyone interested in a pair of these painted in the gloss black (no clear coat - it looks better that way). They will include the hardware for installation which is easily done by one person in less than 10 minutes.

Edited once, last by SlingLow ().

• Well @Miller Time I got some pics fueling up with the racks on today. Unfortunately my computer won't read the memory card right now. I'll work on it in the morning and hopefully get them up. The nozzle does fit pointing in the 2 o'clock but not quite to 3 o'clock position. Anyway, a picture is worth 1000 words so I'll put them up here when I figure it out.

I do have a couple of takers so I can commit to a shipped price of $265 for anyone interested in a pair of these painted in the gloss black (no clear coat - it looks better that way). They will include the hardware for installation which is easily done by one person in less than 10 minutes.

Thx. Looking forward to pictures.