Luggage Racks Anyone?

• I just got back from the powder coater who was supposed to finish my gloss black rear protection plates. They were not done with the clear coat yet but they did have my new luggage racks done in low gloss black without the clear coat to try to match the low gloss black roll hoops. These attach through the roll hoops with 2 through-bolts at each attachment point which go through the bracket, the roll hoop, and a small plate on the forward side of the hoop. This attachment method was designed by @FunCycle whose racks I bought from @Candyman and used to pattern the brackets. He graciously gave me permission to copy his design. Thanks, brother! The rack, however, is a new design made from 1/4" plate steel cut on a CNC plasma cutter. It is a compact 8 1/8" by 11 3/8" to allow for the attachment of a variety of hard or soft luggage options and still allow fueling without removal. The racks do partially cover the gas inlet so luggage wider than the rack might have to be removed. There is plenty of drainage, bungie points and, well, the pics speak for themselves. They are not light at approximately 11 pounds per pair but they will carry whatever you can get on there. I will source the hardware soon and try to find some sticky back felt for the brackets to protect the hoops. I will be selling these for $315 a pair including shipping. I will post pics of them attached once I have the hardware in hand. Hats off to my nephew Shawn (again) and his buddy Terry for the fab work. I think these are pretty hot! :00007505: What do y'all think?

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

Edited 4 times, last by SlingLow ().

• They look great! But with luggage on them that's a lot of weight putting leverage on those attachment points, especially over bumps. I'm concerned the attachments might be a weak point without some extra support (eg. a diagonal off the end of the rack running back to the hoop).

• They look great! But with luggage on them that's a lot of weight putting leverage on those attachment points, especially over bumps. I'm concerned the attachments might be a weak point without some extra support (eg. a diagonal off the end of the rack running back to the hoop).

Thanks Mike. That's why we used 1/4" steel instead of 3/16" - because of the attachment plates and the leverage point off of them. 3/16" would have saved about a pound per rack. According to my fabricator they should hold at least 150 pounds each without risk of bending on the bumps. I wouldn't expect to put any more than 30 or 40 pounds - on my wife's side. I pack light.

Here is Shawn with his 220 pound carcass standing on the plate bolted to his workbench during construction. He did not simulate bumps but I did with my 160.

• Now that looks good my friend. That is stepping it up on my design. Of course I could not have built that in my playroom

• So, I'm concerned about the spacing between the individual circles on the grid. From the perspective in the pictures, it doesn't look like the spacing in both the 'x' and 'y' axes are equal for all the circles. What assurances can you give me that there will be less than .005" discrepancy between spacing across the whole shelf?

:00008172:

• So, I'm concerned about the spacing between the individual circles on the grid. From the perspective in the pictures, it doesn't look like the spacing in both the 'x' and 'y' axes are equal for all the circles. What assurances can you give me that there will be less than .005" discrepancy between spacing across the whole shelf?

Oh my goodness...

I guess I have to play my hole card here: I had this designed by NASA for the ultimate combination of structural integrity, weight reduction, aerodynamic properties, attachment points and molecular stability, with actual spacing between holes being secondary to all of the above. You don't think I was shooting from the hip here, did you?

• I guess I have to play my hole card here: I had this designed by NASA for the ultimate combination of structural integrity, weight reduction, aerodynamic properties, attachment points and molecular stability, with actual spacing between holes being secondary to all of the above. You don't think I was shooting from the hip here, did you?

Just watch out for the Polaris logo, they will come after you