Halloween done right

• My favorite all-time welcome mat had a picture of the Tasmanian Devil cartoon character with the statement "Go Away!" I finally stopped using it after one Halloween where a small boy came up to the house but was afraid to ring the doorbell because the mat said "Go Away!" His Mom finally rang the doorbell for him. She thought it was hilarious, but the poor kid was really scared!

• Not trying to put a downer on this commercial celebration.

You may be interested to know that this festival was taken, by Christians from celebrations, such as:
    Samhain
    Samhain - Wikipedia
    and
    Caplan Gaeat. Where the Witche's outfits come from (local costume of the area).
    Calan Gaeaf - Wikipedia

They all look like Wiches to me.
    All a little different to running around asking for treats.

Wiccans have only celebrated this festival, from the 20th century, untill now. So it's a modern thing (for them) compared to the festervals above.

Now. I only live 10-15 miles from Wales so if you followed the Caplan Gaeat link, you'll know, that I'll need to, put stones in a fire and then, watch out for a tailless black sow with a headless woman...
    That would be scary.

All the best, from UK_Paul

Edited once, last by UK_Paul ().

• Game on tonight! Got the graveyard in the front, same as last year, got the fire pit going out in the culdesac.....

But this year we have an addition to the Jello shots....

And that would be, 2.5 gallons of cider, with the adult additives on the side.

Party on! What are you crazies doing?

• We’re sitting here waiting for a kid to come by. No one comes down our street. Sitting here nursing a bottle of Apothic Inferno.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• I have a 3 ft tall illuminated plastic pumpkin and finally hung it out front a couple days ago. I also have a couple No Soliciting signs on our front door. While we're giving candy out, both the pumpkin and our front door lights will be on, but we had a couple kids approach our porch, but then evidently wondered if the No Soliciting sings applied to them. My Wife saw them thru the door and opened it to give them candy. Too bad unwanted solicitors always seem to ignore the signs!
    I handled the first two groups of kids. The second kid came up to our door, but just stood there. Didn't ring the doorbell or knock. I finally knocked on the door and he started looking around, nit sure what to do, so I opened the door. Turned out this was the first house he'd been allowed to approach by himself. I told his owners to remind him to ring the doorbell or knock so folks would know he was there!
    A local Halloween store's owner dressed up in a scary clown outfit and was walking around the parking lot in front of his strip center. Evidently, he freaked some people out. He tried to open the door to a car, all in fun, but the occupants were startled. Police gave him a ticket for disturbing the peace. I assume the ticket will be waived, but I think he should have been wearing a sign for his store so as not to panic people in the parking lot!

• Presently wishing I lived in your culdesac @KayTwo. :D

Best reply in this thread so far! Wolf for the win!

Too bad unwanted solicitors always seem to ignore the signs!

We don't have many solicitors here. But the ones we have, I'm quick to get rid of. I've been accused of being rude to them, but only after they didn't take "No thank you, I'm not interested" and similar responses a few times. I politely reminded them that this was my property, and by them coming into it unwanted or uninvited, they were rude to me first. The fact that I'm 6'4" and about 280 likely works in my favor on that. I really don't want confrontation, but I also don't want any type of sales or politics coming to my door. If they want to leave a paper or flyer of some type, that's OK. And seriously, if I'm working in the garage and the garage door is open, that's not an invitation to solicit me in any way.... that old "Do unto others" comes to mind.

• Technically, our entire subdivision is supposed to be "No Soliciting!" Mail me if you want to give me some info. I'll respond, if interested. My cell and home answering machines basically say "If we don't recognize your name or number, we won't answer. Leave your number and we'll respond, maybe."

Edited once, last by BKL ().