Has Anyone Tried To Have The Dealer Connect To A Bob's Tuned ECU?

• I am sorry if this has been brought up before. I used the search feature and spent an hour or so looking and didn't find anything on this subject. But did read some good Lorena Bobbitt jokes. :00008172:

I took my Sling to the dealer because my CBFL (catastrophic brake failure light) was coming on. The dealer takes my word on most of my issues and changed the pressure switches under a warranty claim. The service manager came out and told me the mechanic was having to bleed the brakes manually because of my tuned ECU. I told him it would be ok to hook up his computer to it as long as he didn't mess with any engine parameters. The mechanic who is pretty good with the slings came out and said that his computer could not communicate with the ECU.
    When he brought it out, the brakes work the best I have ever had but the light on the dash stays on. The cruise control works like it should. He said he can't diagnose because of the lack of communication with the ECU.
    I have spoke with @Dave@DDMWorks and he said this is the first he has heard anything about this problem because we don't usually let Polaris hook up to the Bob tuned units. I asked him to ask @MEFIburn next time they are talking.
    ANYBODY?

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• To the best of my knowledge, my dealer did hook up the computer to get assistance reading codes when I had the antilock break and traction control lights on after the swing arm recall work.

To the best of my knowledge they didn't reflash the ECU as the engine and SC still seem to be running fine.

From the "for what it's worth" category

• Digital Wrench can communicate with the ECM after Bob loads his tune. Im not sure why the service tech would have told you that. They can still check codes, clear codes, and do other things that won't mess with the tune.

To wreck the tune, they would have to wipe the entire ECM, or load a new tune to replace the current. Many of us were concerned a long time ago, as Polaris released a complete new tune to fix issues. There currently shouldn't be any new tune updates available through digital wrench, so there is not much to worry about.

I also wouldn't believe them, as they "fixed" your machine, but the light isn't off. That isn't right....

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• I swear (and I don't do that often!) I saw this in another thread today! The issue was that a Bob's tune wouldn't hook up for Polaris. I can't find it now. I'll look again tomorrow when I have more time.... Sorry I'm not @Tripod with my searches! :00008356:

Brent you prolly read the group text I sent out Saturday!

Digital Wrench can communicate with the ECM after Bob loads his tune. Im not sure why the service tech would have told you that. They can still check codes, clear codes, and do other things that won't mess with the tune.

When he hooked up the Digital Wrench it asked what year and model. When he input 2016 SL the Digital Wrench said "could not be found". That is why he says it wont communicate as his computer does not see the slings ecm.

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• Did he turn the key on? Ha

This problem isn't related to having one of Bobs tunes. If it is, it is something new/rare that we haven't heard of before.

I'm not sure what you can do, but it sounds like something is wrong on the dealerships end...

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• I can also confirm. You can hook a tuned ECU to the Polaris Digital Wrench software. I have calibrated the zeroing of my steering wheel and a few other things. I believe he may need to make sure he has the latest update to his Digital Wrench software when he makes the connection.

Just dont let it try to do an update to the ECU and you will be fine. Each module such as Stability and ABS has their own programmable component. So you can have the software pulse the ABS module to help bleed the brakes.

• Brent you probably read the group text I sent out Saturday!When he hooked up the Digital Wrench it asked what year and model. When he input 2016 SL the Digital Wrench said "could not be found". That is why he says it wont communicate

It's possible that Bob renamed it...He finds a past Sling with similar setup and copies the files to your ECM. It might show up as another year and model.

• It's possible that Bob renamed it...He finds a past Sling with similar setup and copies the files to your ECM. It might show up as another year and model.

No. I watched Bob do mine. He uploaded a file to it, and had my VIN and year. He was describing every step. We had talked before, and he knew I worked with software so was very good about explaining what was happening each step. Each are coded to the original, so that the ECU thinks that it is running factory settings.

• I’m sure they’re going to have to plug into my ecu to look at my constant brake light problem. Makes me nervous having someone plug into it.

Worst case, you'll have to send the ECU back to Bob for a reflash. At least he offers a reasonably cheap solution if your ECU somehow gets overwritten, although the downtime would be frustrating.

• Worst case, you'll have to send the ECU back to Bob for a reflash. At least he offers a reasonably cheap solution if your ECU somehow gets overwritten, although the downtime would be frustrating.

Downtime being frustrating up north will be changing here soon. @bjk81 lives about as far north as I do. Between ice, snow, and plenty of salt on the roads, having the ECU out for a week isn't really a very big deal in January-February....

• Worst case, you'll have to send the ECU back to Bob for a reflash. At least he offers a reasonably cheap solution if your ECU somehow gets overwritten, although the downtime would be frustrating.

Is there still a group buy for an ECU tune by Bob? I cannot locate the post.

• I searched for Tune Group Buy and found where Tripod had linked to a thread on TDS - ACTIVE Group Buy - ECM Tune from Mefi Bob for NA Slingshots | Polaris Slingshot Forum. Check that thread. Last I heard it was still valid several months ago. The Group Buy was for the NA tune, IIRC. AFAIK, Bob will reflash your ECU if the dealer mucks it up for around $40 + shipping.