Starting issues and the Digital Guard Dawg system

• I know the subject of having problems starting has been covered in another thread but I didn't want this to get covered up in all the opinions.
    History:
    I started to have problems starting my Sling at SSITS 2016. I finished running the Dragon with @oneshot and stopped at the 129 store where we decided to get pictures in front of the dragon. When I went to move the Sling all I got was a single click. I tried to use my jumper ports with no success and only got it started after we push started it. This was a one off that didn't happen again for 2 months. When it happened again it sounded like what a bad starter solenoid and I was able to get it to repeat at the dealership. They ordered me a starter which I replaced on warranty that seamed to fix it for about 2 weeks. At that point I looked at the battery connections to find corrosion on both the positive and negative posts. I cleaned them off and the problem went away for about 2 months this time. When it started to do it again I decided to purchase an Optima battery in hopes the higher cranking amps and clean terminals would fix the problem which it did for about 4 months. At this point I decided to replace the negative grounding cable from the battery because it had a bit of corrosion in the strands. When I went to remove the cable the stud broke off from the frame and I could see corrosion inside it. I thought I had found the problem finally, a bad chassis ground.
    Current:
    A couple of weeks ago the problem came back. This time I decided not to rock the sling to get it to start, but instead it was time to troubleshoot. I removed and swapped out all the relays and checked the fuses, clutch switch, grounds, really anything I could think of. For some reason at that point I decided to reconnect the ignition switch so I could use the key to start it and not the Digital Guard Dawg. FYI. The Digital Guard Dawg system has 2 different types of connections that connect it to the ignition. The first ones they produced had a T harness that one end plugged into the ignition and the other connected to the wiring harness. On the newer ones there is not a T harness, but instead just a connection to the wiring harness where the ignition would have plugged in. DDG stopped putting the T harness in the kit so they could lower the price. When I installed mine I chose to leave the ignition disconnected as a security measure. After connecting the ignition and using the key the sling started. At this point it was time to verify what was going on so I left it configured to be able to use the key. Three times over the past couple of weeks the sling didn't start until I installed the key. What I have not told you was this same problem was happening on Felicia's sling which has a DGD installed with the with the single wire harness and not the T. Today when it happened I disconnected the DGD and hooked up the ignition, it started with the key.
    After this happened I decided to call DGD and see if I could purchase a T harness so I could use the system or the key to start it. What I discovered was outstanding customer support from DGD. After explaining the problems I have been having he explained what was happening. When the start button is selected the DGD monitors the voltage and shuts off the ignition if the voltage drops below 9.7 volts. This is a good number to know because if the DGD shuts off the ignition it is letting you know the status of your battery. He told me the Slingshot ignition will cut of in the same manor at 9.3 volts.
    Findings:
    What I discovered throughout all of this was anything that will assist in drawing down the start voltage to below 9.3 volts on the sling (9.7 volts with the DGD) will cause it not to start. Looking at what had happened, corrosion on the terminals, low battery, corroded ground, and loose terminals could all lead to low voltage when a heavy load from the starter is activated.

I know this was a bit of a run on, but I just wanted to get this information out there. The Digital Gaurd Dawg is a great system with outstanding support if anyone is considering the purchase.

• Thanks @Slingrazor so glad you wrote this up! I have experienced this 3 times now and kept scratching my head... each time I was either playing the radio for 10-15min or something and shut it off. Later I would go back to start it and I get the sounds you described. Lately I have been keeping it on a trickle charger. This seems to have helped, has not done it a while. Thanks .... I kept scratching my head on this one.

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• Great info from DGD, especially since you can be in the 9.3 - 9.7 range and think all is well by using key.
    Besides an older battery, have to be cautious about other drains on the juice. Sometimes we get out and forget we have something plugged in the rear cigarette lighter.
    Wouldn't think it would drain quickly, but slings do have smallish batteries.

The trouble with bucket seats is not everyone has the same size 'bucket'.

Edited once, last by flipr ().