Hug your kids tonight

• Trigger alert: this thread is about suicide and loss.

After a great night last night, celebrating the Navy's 242nd birthday, I was given a swift dose of the opposite side of that coin at about 0730 this morning.

I was notified that a Sailor in another part of the country, a man who started as an enlisted man and worked his way into the mustang officer ranks, took his own life last night, and someone needed to go notify his father, who lives about 90 minutes from my NOSC. So, I was that someone.

I got into my dress white uniform, drove the van into the mountains of Northern GA, and found the home of a man I had never met before, who didn't know me from Adam, but who was about to be introduced in probably the worst way possible.

When we got there (I had a wingman), we found a cute little place tucked off a secondary road, on a gravel path, up against the side of a hill, with trees all around, a sweet little brook running at the foot of the driveway, and what I could only describe as an idyllic setting. And I couldn't help but feel the darkness around me as I carried the burden of death up the driveway like an unwanted prized possession.

He was graceful in his agony. Composed, still a little disbelieving (he had already heard from his daughter, but didn't believe it yet), obviously hurting but not ugly about it. I haven't wanted to scream in a long time like I wanted to today from the sheer weight of the feelings inside me. I was the ultimate unwanted guest, but also oddly welcomed as a link to an organization he was proud of on account of his son, and also as someone who might be able to provide him some answers, and maybe eventually some closure. I carried none with me today. He was disappointed, but gracious. I won't ever forget the kindness he showed to the man who no-one ever wants to see.

"On behalf of the Secretary of the Navy, I regret to inform you..." That has got to be the worst script in the world.

The man I met today will never again get to hug his son, tell him he's proud of him, or that he loves him. I don't know if they had that relationship, but whatever they had, it is permanently frozen in time.

The man I didn't meet today also had kids, two young sons, by two different women, both broken relationships. Those boys will never again hear their father's voice or feel his arms embrace them. Again, I don't know what those relationships were, but they are as lost now as the faded echo of the last gunshot that man ever heard. I don't know which generation these tears are for right now, but I suspect the latter. They are paying the ultimate price for the sins of their father's demons.

I don't know what ugly words those demons were whispering, or what poison they poured into his dreams when he closed his eyes at night. It doesn't really matter. The finality of his last decision is set in the impossibly permanent stone grasp of history, regardless of the "why."

We all carry demons of one breed or another. Mine are vile and evil creatures, as I'm sure the same is true with others of you. You don't have to fight alone. Ask for help. There are many resources available, of all different flavors and smells. There is help available, I promise. And if you can't find the right one, or don't have the spoons available to try to do it yourself, (and if you don't understand that reference, it's ok), send me a PM if you need the help digging out of a hole. I'll listen, without judgment, and if you want the help, we'll find it together.

Which takes me back to the final item in my plea for you to listen to. Hug your kids. Call them. Send them a text. Whatever it is, do it - don't wait. Life is too short to squander in darkness and lost opportunities.

• Thank you sir for all you do, the sacrifices and hardships you have gone through and will go through for this great country of ours and every citizen beneath the stars and stripes.

Thank your family for the sacrifices they have made. Often understated and forgotten your family has really made your work and dedication possible through their sacrifices and hardships as well

Thank you for the care, heart, empathy, and professionalism in which you delivered that most difficult message today.

The mental health care that so many need is still unfortunately a taboo topic and carries with it a stigmatism that is worse than the demons that torture those that need help. Hopefully some day soon we can change that

PS. I text my children every other day and call them once a week. I never end a conversation without telling them how much I love them - they may be in their mid 20s and think it is silly but they know how i feel and that i am there for them no matter what

• WOW @Kay Two a very emotional and trying part of your career I,M sure, I have only two daughters, and now one Grandson but they are absolutely the best ! I text them both every chance I get and cant even fathom what a father goes through in that predicament . Im sure your efforts will never be forgotten by that man , Im not even American but if I was I WOULD SAY YOU MAKE US ALL PROUD, Thank you

• Jared, thank you for your service and sacrifice. Words evade me right now but my heart hurts for the man and his family. I hear incredibly heartbreaking stories in my job. We don't realize how words can lift a person up or crush them. We don't know what burden others carry. A good reminder for us to be kind to one another.

• I don't know what ugly words those demons were whispering, or what poison they poured into his dreams when he closed his eyes at night. It doesn't really matter. The finality of his last decision is set in the impossibly permanent stone grasp of history, regardless of the "why."

@KayTwo, death notifications are never easy. I'll never forget my first. This will sound sick, but after a few, you become numb and it becomes almost normal. As far as why, .. on the other side, ..well, that's an ongoing question. Maybe "they" want to forget, or don't want to be a problem to anyone anymore. For "them" it's an easy decision. It's harder to fight then to finally say enough is enough. Thanks for sharing and stay safe.

• Wow @KayTwo
    I can't believe you posted that at this time, as I just had to deal with (and am still dealing with) that last week.
    Monday, I get a message from my son that his mom's (my X-wife) husband got up, packed her shit and told her to leave with their 12 year old daughter and 19 year old son.
    Once she arrives at my son's house they talk for a while and no one had heard anything from her husband.
    So My son and his half brother (her hubbys son) go to see if they can find him.
    His own son found him, hanging in the woods. Naturally he hollars at his brother, my son, who also see's him hanging in the woods.
    So naturally i get a phone call because my son is upset at what he just saw.
    This man was what i would call a friend, we ate meals together, ate oysters and drank beer, he was my X's husband, and i adore his daughter and let his son live in one of my houses for free for a year.
    But now i hate this man for what he did to his son, for what he did to his daughter and for what he did to my own son.
    That is one sight his son and my son will NEVER forget.
    That is one action his daughter will NEVER forget.
    And my son's mom will never forget.
    And I will never forgive him for causing all this heart ache to these people.
    I'm fine with what he did to himself, couldn't give 2 shits for that.
    Luckily he was a total asshole to my son, who at 16 hauled ass from his house to live with me, so that benefited me and my son.
    And he was a asshole to his own son, but he was still his father.
    Suicide only benefits the one that commits it.
    But ends up doing terrible things to the one's left behind.
    But because of what he did, now my son hugs me a little tighter, and a little longer now.
    And I hug him every time i see him.

• Kay Two, Thank You for Your Service Brother. The difficulty you have to inform loved ones has to be the Pitts to say the least. I know someone has to do it, but know We the many are walking silently along side and behind you every step of the way.
    <3

• I have not seen my oldest son in 2 years or my two grands in longer than that. His problem, not mine. Fifteen miles from me. The other son I see about every 6 months and his kids. Fifteen miles also. They were not raised that way, we did everything together up until they moved out at about 20. Moral of the story enjoy them while you can.

• @KayTwo, first thank you for your service, I have had to do death notification in my years as a police officer. For me it never got easy to look into the eyes of a mother, father, wife or child and tell them someone is gone. It takes a special kind of empathy and strength. Sometimes they don’t believe you, sometimes they scream before you even say anything because they know inside why you are there. I tell you truly, I preferred the few times I was shot at to delivering those messages. Bless you and God give you strength

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Info

• You're not gonna believe it. Got assigned another death notification, right here in town. Sailor from another NOSC got shot to death. His parents live here. So, I got to go over and tell them this afternoon, and their daughter. They already knew, got a call from a detective at 10 am, but we were the official word. Dad and sis were good, plus the other 8-10 family members gathered around. Mom lost her shit when she saw the uniforms coming for an official visit. Not fun, but easier than the one I did a week ago. Maybe because the first one is the hardest, but also somehow I think the suicide rattled me a little more. Anyhoo, just another life experience I wish I didn't have. Go Navy.

• @KayTwo I wanted to like your last post - in a way to say thanks! But in these cases I would rather say THANK YOU Again for this service brother. This is without any doubt very very hard on the families but ALSO stressful for you. Again as you said... let’s all make sure we kiss our kids and tell them how much we love them! Thanks brother

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.