Hood can open if latches not latched.

• I have to make this clear to everyone.

IT IS NOT THE EXTENDER KITS THAT CAUSE THE HOOD TO GO FULL OPEN.

As others have posted the hood will do this without a kit installed.
    The bottom line to the cause of this happening is the failure to ensure your hood is correctly latched.
    Those of us who were around from the beginning learned how to adjust our latches because they were horrible. The new slings hoods close a lot better than the original setups.

2nd this!!! Most of us who have know this for years now... simply check the hood every time prior to a ride. I do it religiously as if it is part of my "check ride"

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• And yet you still pulled the trigger on the buy? Wow, my wife would have been running from that dealer.

It was a young kid that didn't check it before giving it to me. The other excuse I can use is it was early in the morning. It was really as much my fault as anyone else. I'm glad I didn't run cause this thing is a beast.

RNJ12

• Extended Range? How much further can you drive with the new hood hinges? :) Seriously, I was among the first to install (when we all got the worng size rods)..It does change the dynamics of how the hood sits and closes. Have to double check all latches AND a hood pin kit is a good idea. Overall this is a very good option and worth the extra care.

• Polaris says not to drop your hood, or force it shut like the video recommends to do. I have the extended hinges and I shut my hood very slow and easy from the front. I then push down on the two front latches to feel them lock and then I go to passenger side push it down to lock and finish doing the same on the drivers side. I also have @mniron hood pins installed for extra locking and keeps the fenders from moving at high speeds.

• I also want to say this has nothing to do with the product title and the title should be changed. @Samowens44 I am sure you meant nothing against the products but a lot of newbies on the forum may not read that into the title.

both the Madstad and DDM products are good products that do their job very well. This is a driver issue, not a product issue.

Please change the title of the thread as this is very misleading and potentially damaging to the guys at slingshotonly and DDMWorks.

thanks.

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...

• @lrobbi this is completely off the subject, but I wanted to say I really like your Avatar. It does not imply one side or the other. Just that we need to fight against it from all sides.

Very nice and thanks.

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...

• @lrobbi this is completely off the subject, but I wanted to say I really like your Avatar. It does not imply one side or the other. Just that we need to fight against it from all sides.

Very nice and thanks.

Thanks, that is exactly what I was hoping to express. thanks!!!

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• Just install some hood pins. Problem solved plus they give the old school cool look.

That's something I would like to do. I haven't decide between using two hood pins at the rear or four hood pins, 2 front and 2 rear. Also, I'd like to video the hood opening from the side to verify the hood opening geometry and that the hood actually initially lifts straight up above the points I'd be placing hood pins.

Slightly off-topic -
    As a side note, I haven't bought any extended hood opening hinges, but when I was removing my hood for my turbo install, I wondered if it was possible to remove the long bolt that engages the front latch and use the remaining front hinge bolt to function as a hinge allowing the hood to opened further forward. Some solid props would be needed to ensure the hood doesn't move or flex and cause damage to the hood. I have attached a PDF file trying to show what would need to be done. A possibly better alternative to unthreading that bolt every time you want additional under-hood space might be the creation of a quick-disconnect bolt/piece to replace that bolt.
    CheapieHoodHingeMod.pdf
    Vendors?

• I give up on trying to help my fellow slingshot owners, I will delete the video and every man for himself. I thought I was putting out some helpful information that not one has covered at all, you win. The video is gone.

• Sam, your video opened up a lot of eyes, many people were unaware of any hood issues. I'll even go as far as saying you probably saved lives getting this discussion out there. Your past videos were so helpful to so many people, myself included. We all appreciate your extensive contributions!!!!!

• Sam, folks weren't really criticizing your video, one of many informative videos you've contributed. They were mainly pointing out the thread title implied blame on the extended hood hinges instead of just reminding folks to check their hood latches before every ride. The Slingshot is enough like a car that it is all too easy for folks to just hop in and ride, forgetting little things like a pre-ride check, but I have finally learned to at least check my hood latches before going on a ride.

• I think this is a good time for everyone to check your latches to make sure you clearly hear one snap when all 4 latches open and if not make the required adjustments.

Then make sure you close the hood with enough force to fully engaged all 4 latches and them push down on the rear of the hood to make sure the rear latches locked.

Proper Hood alignment is kinda difficult to get. I played with mine several times to get it close...it took playing with latches, playing with hood hinge bolts and many cable adjustments to get it.

#1 properly align the hood
    #2 adjust all the latches to hear .....one snap...
    #3 close the hood and make sure all the latches engaged.
    #4 push down on the rear latches
    #5 drive safely....

• Sam, folks weren't really criticizing your video, one of many informative videos you've contributed. They were mainly pointing out the thread title implied blame on the extended hood hinges instead of just reminding folks to check their hood latches before every ride. The Slingshot is enough like a car that it is all too easy for folks to just hop in and ride, forgetting little things like a pre-ride check, but I have finally learned to at least check my hood latches before going on a ride.

Has anybody ever had the latches spontaneously disengage once they have been confirmed latched?

Bill

• That's something I would like to do. I haven't decide between using two hood pins at the rear or four hood pins, 2 front and 2 rear. Also, I'd like to video the hood opening from the side to verify the hood opening geometry and that the hood actually initially lifts straight up above the points I'd be placing hood pins.
    Slightly off-topic -
    As a side note, I haven't bought any extended hood opening hinges, but when I was removing my hood for my turbo install, I wondered if it was possible to remove the long bolt that engages the front latch and use the remaining front hinge bolt to function as a hinge allowing the hood to opened further forward. Some solid props would be needed to ensure the hood doesn't move or flex and cause damage to the hood. I have attached a PDF file trying to show what would need to be done. A possibly better alternative to unthreading that bolt every time you want additional under-hood space might be the creation of a quick-disconnect bolt/piece to replace that bolt.
    CheapieHoodHingeMod.pdf
    Vendors?

That's interesting. I have not had my hood off yet. But I was thinking about 4 pins and do away with hinges all together. The down side is having someone to help set the hood off every time you need too access the motor. Then again you would be able to get it completely out of the way in a couple minutes. I am not sure how long the cables and latch system will hold up myself.

Well, with that said, we don't need the video. so I deleted so we can just say make sure the hood is latched. No other reasons should be stated. I am one that will go to great lengths to show and explain in detail why something should be done. Well, they really don't need a video if all we keep telling them is don't matter what kind of hinge you have they all work the same, they can open if you don't latch properly. Most people do not understand the Extended Range Hood Hinge. They don't realize that the Gas Lift assist is not for show of how it can raise the hood by itself. It was a necessary component to help over come the disadvantaged leverage of the longer Rear Link Arms. You can not open the hood without the Gas Lift assist shocks. They do not understand how while driving at the higher speeds of 50 to 60 mph if the hood comes up just a little bit that the lift assist will start doing its job. They don't understand why it would stay in the upright position. Because it a very strong and 60 mph wind pressure is not great enough to push it back down. All of these things were my message in the video with how the failure occurs and why it happens. I have been told that the factory hinge will open like the Extended Hinge. I am going to test it myself to see how that works.
    Well, I managed to spell out what I had in my video. the extended Range Hood Hinge presents a special condition that is ever worse if you forget to latch your hood. That was my whole message. I wanted to educate the newbies and people that do not understand how things work, they just want them. That is who I wanted to direct my message to, warn him strongly of how important it is to make sure that hood is latched. I was looking for a huge support in that direction, not to take away from this condition that can happen. Well we have the soft title so Let's all try to get the word to people and tell them WHY it is important.

• Well, with that said, we don't need the video. so I deleted so we can just say make sure the hood is latched. No other reasons should be stated. I am one that will go to great lengths to show and explain in detail why something should be done. Well, they really don't need a video if all we keep telling them is don't matter what kind of hinge you have they all work the same, they can open if you don't latch properly. Most people do not understand the Extended Range Hood Hinge. They don't realize that the Gas Lift assist is not for show of how it can raise the hood by itself. It was a necessary component to help over come the disadvantaged leverage of the longer Rear Link Arms. You can not open the hood without the Gas Lift assist shocks. They do not understand how while driving at the higher speeds of 50 to 60 mph if the hood comes up just a little bit that the lift assist will start doing its job. They don't understand why it would stay in the upright position. Because it a very strong and 60 mph wind pressure is not great enough to push it back down. All of these things were my message in the video with how the failure occurs and why it happens. I have been told that the factory hinge will open like the Extended Hinge. I am going to test it myself to see how that works.Well, I managed to spell out what I had in my video. the extended Range Hood Hinge presents a special condition that is ever worse if you forget to latch your hood. That was my whole message. I wanted to educate the newbies and people that do not understand how things work, they just want them. That is who I wanted to direct my message to, warn him strongly of how important it is to make sure that hood is latched. I was looking for a huge support in that direction, not to take away from this condition that can happen. Well we have the soft title so Let's all try to get the word to people and tell them WHY it is important.

Actually, you just explained why a video might be needed, explaining how the gas cartridges make it easier to open the hood. Your videos have been of assistance for many folks.
    When I had my hood pop open, IIRC, I had already installed dual 30 lb gas cartridges. I was also experimenting with the use of conventional hood springs that lift the hood up just enough to get your finders under the hood. Those springs, combined with the dual cartridges I had were what I believe caused my hood to lift the one time I experienced the hood coming up. I took the springs off after that. back when I was experiencing latch problems, typically, the rear passenger-side latch would let go, but the others would hold until I pulled over, but that one time, everything seemed to go at once! <X

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• My hood did the same thing before I put hood extension kit on. Was on a back road. Was kinda freaky. My son at the time who was riding with me was like holy crap dad that was crazy we pulled over made sure hood was latched and went on with our ride. Now whenever we get in he will pull on his side of the hood by the windshield and tell me to check mine. There have been a couple of videos posted on it. As a matter of fact at my local dealer it happened to a salesman taking a customer for a ride. He was showing him under the hood before the ride got distracted and didn't latch it properly. And it came up as they were on the test drive. Shit happens be careful ride with your head on a swivel and have fun.