CAN BUS and logging?

• Does anybody know if you can tie a data logger into the SlingShot CAN BUS to log the slings events happening?

It all started with GoPro gauges. I created a video of a group ride we did running the PA Tail of the Dragon

Which took me to DashWare which allows you to manipulate logs to integrate into your video. They are doing some really cool stuff with it. I read about the AEM Boost/AFR gauge that has data recording and I thought it would be cool to tie that into the GoPro gauges. But looking at the DashWare sample videos they are doing some cools stuff.

Which ultimately brings me to my question.... Anybody know if you can tie into the CAN Bus on the Slingshot to possibly pull out to a data logger the following: speed, rpm, throttle position, brake pressure, etc, etc,

Thanks,
    John

John
    2017 SL LE Midnight Cherry
    :COILOVERSS::TURBOSS::MOTOROILSS::FILTERSS::COLDAIRSS::DONKEYSS:

• The short answer is no. There is no OBD2 interface for the stock ECU. Even if you wire a OBD2 port up to the diag port wires it doesn't output data that can be viewed.

This will not work for what your wanting to do BUT if you just want to see the data you can buy the reading software from Bob at MEFI and use a PC to see the data. Dont let this confuse you.... It is only going to show up in his software and cant be ported to another program.

• The short answer is no. There is no OBD2 interface for the stock ECU. Even if you wire a OBD2 port up to the diag port wires it doesn't output data that can be viewed.

This will not work for what your wanting to do BUT if you just want to see the data you can buy the reading software from Bob at MEFI and use a PC to see the data. Dont let this confuse you.... It is only going to show up in his software and cant be ported to another program.

So there is no way to log the data that the stock ECM is using? Like throttle position etc?

I was hoping since SS uses a CAN BUS system going into their own proprietary ECU that I could just log the CAN Bus and use that.

Can you attach a CAN BUS logger to the Sling to interpret the BUS and log it?

My understanding is (please correct me if I'm wrong) they did not reinvent the wheel, they are using their own ECU.

I see that AEM has an RZR Dash for the Polaris adapter that will log. Is Slingshot using similar data to the RZR that could be routed to a logger?

John

• Lets put it another way... Only 1 or 2 people to companies have ever been able to offer a product to read the data from the Slingshot CANBUS.

I have purchased RZR diag readers in the past and they will pull some data HOWEVER they will set Check Engine lights on your dash and they will only tell you one or two parameters. Polaris has really done a great job in tweaking how the data is being sent across the CANBUS.

I gave up and switched to A Haltech ECU. I now have true OBD2 plug with all my data at my fingertips. Wish I had a better answer for ya.

• Lets put it another way... Only 1 or 2 people to companies have ever been able to offer a product to read the data from the Slingshot CANBUS.

I have purchased RZR diag readers in the past and they will pull some data HOWEVER they will set Check Engine lights on your dash and they will only tell you one or two parameters. Polaris has really done a great job in tweaking how the data is being sent across the CANBUS.

I gave up and switched to A Haltech ECU. I now have true OBD2 plug with all my data at my fingertips. Wish I had a better answer for ya.

By going Haltech ECU, are you missing anything from the stock ECU?
    Stability, traction control etc still works fine?

How does a layman like myself get a tune on it?

John

• @Casey_SS

You are mixing the terms Canbus and OBD2.

Obd2 is a comm protocol for externally accessing the ecu and Canbus components.(aka laptop connecting to vehicule).

Canbus is a comm protocol between different modules in a vehicule (aka ecu to stability control module to abs module etc). Its not used to connect to a laptop.

The OBD2 port on the SS is not standard therefore it won't talk to OBd2 readers out there that are not wired and programmed for the Sling. Mefiburn has a software and plug for the SS that works, and will log to a laptop for a while.

The Haltech ECU can communicate with the other modules in the Sling over canbus, so it will work with stability control and throttle control unit (which is not in the ecu itself, its in the power steering unit) and also ABS will work.

Other functions managed by the ECU like cruise control doesn't work for now, and if you switch to a canbus dash, fuel level, warning lights (check engine, high beams light etc) and flasher lights (in the dash, outside flashers will work) won't work unless you wire something to make it work.

You can keep the stock dash and work with the Haltech Ecu, in which case you would only loose cruise control.

The haltech 1500 has some limited logging capabilities by itslelf, but can be connected to a laptop while running and you get unlimited logging.

Vi Engineered Turbo (V-Mount)
    Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    Assault Hub / Steering wheel
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    Cipher Race Seats and 4 point harness
    XO Luxury Verona 20x12 Toyo R888 315/35r20, 19x9.5 Toyo R888 265/35R19
    and more...

• It sounds like you give up alot going with a Haltech ECU, unless you also get the dash as well.

Actually, no, you only give the cruise control if you keep the stock dash.

With the IQ3 dash you loose a lot more lights and stuff, but you gain displays for everything the ecu is doing, so you can display oil pressure / temp, water temp, boost, AFR, rpm etc all in one place, something that would take you mutliple external gauges to monitor.

You can also have much better problem detection and engine saving measures put in place with the Haltech, for example if fuel pressure isn't right, you could have the ecu lower your boost to avoid blowing up the engine.

You could have the engine shut down in the case of an oil pressure drop, and the list goes on. These are things the stock ecu cannot do.

Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    and more...

• wow sounds impressive.
    I guess the money I just spent on a gauge pack could have gone to haltech

What about tuning?

Tuning is done thru a local shop, though maybe now some guys may have a tune for a stock engine that might work well if you don't have many mods.

Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    and more...