Motorcycle classification weight

• Motorcycle is classified as an on-road vehicle with a headlight, taillight and stoplight that has two or three wheels and a curb weight of 793 kg or less, but does not include a vehicle that has an engine displacement of less than 50 cc, or that, with an 80 kg (176 pound) driver:

• Cannot start from a dead stop using only the engine
    • Cannot exceed a speed of 40 km/h on a level paved surface
  • What the actual fuck is this nonsense? First, you link to a Wikipedia entry as a resource? You're aware that those entries are crowd-sourced with little-to-no fact checking, right? Second of all, where did you find that definition that you present? Without a source quoted, I'm tempted to throw that baby out with the filthy Wikipedia bathwater, but if you can quote your legitimate source, I'll downshift to neutral. Otherwise, you're making shit up and not helping the community one whit.

• What the actual fuck is this nonsense? First, you link to a Wikipedia entry as a resource? You're aware that those entries are crowd-sourced with little-to-no fact checking, right? Second of all, where did you find that definition that you present? Without a source quoted, I'm tempted to throw that baby out with the filthy Wikipedia bathwater, but if you can quote your legitimate source, I'll downshift to neutral. Otherwise, you're making shit up and not helping the community one whit.

Op is a long time member with over 1000 posts. I doubt this is an attack on the slingshot.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• Op is a long time member with over 1000 posts. I doubt this is an attack on the slingshot.

Cam, the OP has been on the forum for 5 months and has a history of inflating his post count with public lunacy and irrelevance. (Search "catastrophic brake failure" for an example.) I don't see this as any kind of attack on the Slingshot either, it's just pointless at best, and probably misinformation into the bargain.

• Cam, the OP has been on the forum for 5 months and has a history of inflatimgnhis post count with public lunacy and irrelevance. (Search "catastrophic brake failure" for an example.) I don't see this as any kind of attack on the Slingshot either, it's just pointless at best, and probably misinformation into the bargain.

Great... my bad. I didn’t realize.

• @Cameron Roberts on a side note, is that candy apple red on your wheels and top? LOL I meant to ask that before and my feeble old mind remembered seeing your response for some reason LOL

Haha the sling is candy apple red. It’s far deeper than the original 15 red. The wheels are powder coated a deep almost burgundy red that matches the seats and the floor mats. The top is what polaris calls “midnight cherry.” It’s not a perfect match to the wheels and seat and mats, but it’s close enough that I’m happy!

• Someone wanted to know what the weight classification was for the slingshot to be considered a motorcycle and why polaris was so weight conscience about the new models.

I forgot everything on the net isn't real. And I’m trying to get more followers than the pope.

• Someone wanted to know what the weight classification was for the slingshot to be considered a motorcycle and why polaris was so weight conscience about the new models.

I forgot everything on the net isn't real. And I’m trying to get more followers than the pope.

See? Not trolling.

• @Bigdog that question has led to many heated debates and many states adopted different rules as you know for their owners. Before I purchased the SS I found numerous threads about weight and classification. Some made me a bit more informed when dealing with my insurance agency for sure, so thanks.

@Cameron Roberts, I loved the color combination and was considering purchasing the Alpha Candy Apple Red CAI but wasn't sure how it would look on a Pearl Red Sling. Once I seen yours posted the other day, I was like wow!

• @Bigdog that question has led to many heated debates and many states adopted different rules as you know for their owners. Before I purchased the SS I found numerous threads about weight and classification. Some made me a bit more informed when dealing with my insurance agency for sure, so thanks.

@Cameron Roberts, I loved the color combination and was considering purchasing the Alpha Candy Apple Red CAI but wasn't sure how it would look on a Pearl Red Sling. Once I seen yours posted the other day, I was like wow!

Funny that you mention that. The candy red pipes were a custom job Alpha did for me when I bought their turbo in like March 2015. My sling was the original polaris red at that time.

The only thing my insurance company was concerned about was engine size. And at 2384 CCs it’s considered performance bike catagory.

• I have repeatedly posted/complained about not being able to actually find, despite multiple attempts to Google it, any firm reference to any law or regulation in the US, any State or other country, that specifically stipulates any motorcycle weight limit that might be the source of Polaris' so-called weight limit. The Wikipedia link cited by the OP, has an internal link (Legal definition of motorcycle - Wikipedia) that cites a maximum weight limit of less than 1000 kg for New Zealand, but doesn't list any weight limit for the US, for example.
    If anyone ever finds the actual standard/regulation that Polaris reportedly follows in limiting the Slingshot's weight to around 1750 lbs, please post it as I'm sure a lot of inquiring minds want to know. I certainly would like to know.

• The Wikipedia link cited by the OP, has an internal link (Legal definition of motorcycle - Wikipedia) that cites a maximum weight limit of less than 1000 kg for New Zealand, but doesn't list any weight limit for the US, for example.

That is exactly why I objected to that post. I communicated it poorly, but basically that post & reference is not applicable to us and is of shady quality. Thanks for speaking much more clearly than I.

• The only thing my insurance company was concerned about was engine size. And at 2384 CCs it’s considered performance bike catagory.

And at 305 HP, mine is a performance bike. Do shop insurance agencies and find a reputable agent who understands what it is, and how to classify. It will save you money that you can then use for more modifications.

Alpha Supercharger is still spinning fine... it gets rode hard, every time.

• If you think about it logically Polaris is staying with the 791 kg ballpark and there has to be a pretty good reason. I would say that reason is they don’t want to be disqualified and re-evaluated by the regulatory agency that determines the specs for the motorcycle category.

One more thing. They have to conform to 50 states regulations to fit into the motorcycle category. Pretty big task. Not counting all the different insurance companies regulations. And the national regulations.

As far as insurance companies. Many won’t touch a SS. I had estimates from $1500 down to $525 if you pay for the entire year. Now that could have to do with some states calling it an auto cycle or the size of the motor. They tell you where it qualifies and what you’ll pay. You don’t tell them. Since the insurance industry varies from state to state and company to company you’re liable to find all kinds of quotes and qualifications and disqualifications.