How To: Group Ride

• I've been on a few group rides with the Slingshot - some at rally's and some from dealership groups or area groups. To be honest, it is one of my favorite things - I wish there were more Slingshots in Wisconsin.

But I am always surprised at the number of folks that aren't sure of the "how to" group rides. We had great rides at the Slingshot Invasion in Eureka Springs - heck we always do thanks to @Slingrazor, @dangerdarrell, @HeRSling, and others - but other rides we've been on have been more frustrating than pleasurable so I thought I would post this in the hopes of helping others that might be new to group rides.

Rule #1
    Be prepared. If you are going on a ride, please make sure that when you arrive that you have enough fuel to get you through the entire ride or at least until the first fuel stop. Every rider should always have their own emergency supplies, such as a cell phone (even if it is a flip phone), spare cash, and their own set of tools/supplies ([yes, I am still amazed that a vendor hasn't put together such a kit for Slingshot owners] zip ties, duct tape, a flashlight, a few spare fuses and something for a flat tire). A first aid kit is also highly recommended.

Rule #2
    Always have a ride leader. The ride leader should have a lot of experience with the area, have a planned route, ability to communicate with the tail ride leader, sense of everyone's capabilities, and be well organized.

Rule #3
    If you aren't familiar with the area and the ride make sure you attend the riders meeting. During the riders meeting the ride leader will go over the pace and riding style they will be leading at (spirited vs aggressive vs leisurely). This is your chance - if the ride isn't for you because it is too spirited or too leisurely now is the time to to let the ride leader know that you are going to bow out. THERE IS NO SHAME IN BOWING OUT - in the long run it will a more enjoyable day for you AND the other riders.

The ride leader should give you a general idea of where you are going, the length of the ride (time or miles/kilometers), the pace that he/she will be setting, any stops along the way, and, of course, the destination.

The ride leader may also set the ride order - placing more inexperienced riders at the front. This allows more seasoned riders to keep an eye on the newbies, and give them pointers based on what they observe. With more skilled riders up front, it becomes too easy for them to ride at a fast pace and leave newer riders behind unintentionally.

The ride leader may make a stop to split up the group for a short time - maybe to take a "fast pack" through the fun part of the road while letting the slower group go at their own pace, and just regroup later.

The ride leader should also introduce the tail ride leader if there is one. A tail ride leader is someone who is familiar with the route and will keep an eye out for stragglers, machines with mechanical problems, or anyone doing anything that might be unsafe to the rest of the group. If they have to fall back to deal with any of these problems, they will be able to help out, and can arrange to get the group back together by contacting the ride leader.

Rule #4
    Know your hand signals and USE them to help the riders behind you. If you don't know the hand signals here are a bunch of motorcycle hand signals

To add to this - use the thumbs up when regrouping and you and the rider behind you are good to go

Rule #5
    Don't risk it. Unless you are on a local, state, or federally sanctioned ride lead by law enforcement don't be stupid. The laws and rules of the road still apply as do the tickets, points, fines, and chance for accidents whether a scratch or life threatening. DON'T DO THE CRIME IF YOU CAN'T DO THE TIME OR PAY THE FINE. The larger the ride or the more urban sections of the ride are, the more difficult it is for the leader to have planned a route without stop lights/signs or other motorists who insert themselves in the group. See Rule #6 and you should understand why you don't need to run red lights, cut off traffic, speed excessively or risk your life in any way.

Rule #6
    For me, this is THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE. No Rider Left Behind. Remember, even if you are a skilled rider who takes on all roads without any fear or issues, there will be some in the group that may not be as comfortable at excessive speed or through the twisties as you are. Even if you aren't the leader or the tail ride leader you are responsible for the rider behind you! Slow down if you see them dropping behind. If everyone on the ride does the same, no rider is left behind whether because of inexperience, lack of comfort, or mechanical issues.

Even the best rides end up with riders getting separated somehow. Whether it's at a red light or because of a car/truck that just isn't getting the hint. If you end up separated, don't panic. If you had your pre-ride meeting, you should know where the stops are coming up. Additionally, the rider in front of you should have noticed that you've fallen back and found a safe way to slow down and wait for you to catch up - as did the rider in front of them and the rider in front of them and so on. So, just go at a safe pace to catch back up with the rest of the ride. If EVERYONE PRACTICES NO RIDER LEFT BEHIND then you won't have to to break the law, split lanes aggressively, or ride faster than your skills just to catch up to the group. Catching up a little later is a lot better than a ticket or getting into a crash!

Rule #7
    Enjoy the ride.
    If you have observed the six rules above you should enjoy group riding.

Hope this helps - ride safe

• #8... If you signed up for the aggressive ride, don't come back to the group later pissing and moaning about how it was too fast and you were scared. Bow out early, if you don't have the skills, don't seek the thrills.

The aggressive rides should teach you to trust your Slingshot. In the Ozarks, you should have realized that those 25mph signs are just suggestions and you really could take that corner at 70.

#9 Keep it tight. Try to keep enough distance for safety, but don't lag far enough behind that other cars can cut in and join you in line. They can't keep up with the Slingshots and will separate the group.

I personally find hand signals, waving and pointing distracting. Pay Attention FOLKS, it's your machine, you should be looking for critters, pot holes and hazards in the road. Golden rule of riding. Plan your ride, ride your plan.

Ride your own ride. Seriously. Don't try to out ride your skills. It's ok, no one will make fun of you if you bow out... We might however point and laugh if you put it into the pasture going around the curve (as long as no one is hurt)

Alpha Supercharger is still spinning fine... it gets rode hard, every time.

• I've been leading rides on 2 wheels for nearly 3 decades. My personal take is this.... keep it a tight group with lower numbers and preferably people that you know and trust. That is the easiest. I prefer no more than 6 behind me, but have done rides with many more. Myself and one other guy still put on a ride in September every year, as a benefit to some local needing person or family. We have dealt with up to 100 bikes, and at that point it's not really as much fun as it is work. But it's for a good cause, so we continue to do it.

But with all the rules, and the people that have no idea what it's like to ride in a group.... that leaves me and my wife to be mainly Lone Wolf riders, both in the Slingshot or on the Harleys.

• keep it a tight group with lower numbers and preferably people that you know and trust.

...that leaves me and my wife to be mainly Lone Wolf riders, both in the Slingshot or on the Harleys.

ALL OF THIS. :D Same reason I don't drink in public with people I don't know, or go to the shooting range with people I don't trust.

• Excellent Ross!

• I have lead a few group rides and been in many. IMHO about 10 riders is the max for a good ride. You just can’t keep 20+ Slings together let alone all have the same level of skill.

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Route planning can help solve some issues -

We try to make sure we cross as fee major roads as possible. Lights and busy roads tend to break up most any size group.
    Having at least 2 people who know the route and separating the lead foots from the feather foots. The faster group in front. We also try to find 2 or 3 areas where we can stop without affecting traffic to close up the groups.

We are fortunate to have lost of long back country roads and 2 great ride leaders - the one job I don't want!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• The first days aggressive ride at Eureka Springs was memorable. We had 18 slings running at good speeds for over 2.5 hours before we stopped for lunch. Every time we would slow at an intersection everyone would be formed up within a minute.
    The highlight for me was on the 2nd day when about 20 miles from ES four of us pushed up the speed and opened a gap of about an eigth of a mile. As we came over a hill then a turn we were greeted by an oncoming Highway Patrolmen who locked up his breaks as we passed. Just about the time he was getting ready to turn around, the other 10 slings came over the hill... :thumbsup: In my mirror all I could see was the second sling frantically waving me to go, go, go.
    The sad part of the story was one of the slings that had fallen off the back about a mile took the heat from the HP.
    Moral of the story, don't fall off the pack. The HP decided not to chase the pack, but instead sat on the side of the road to see if any one else was coming.
    The ridding in ES was some of the best I have ever seen.

• I do most of my rides by myself, that way I can truely enjoy the ride at my own pace, of which is not always fast. As to the pack, 4 to 6 is max. If the group is use to riding together even traffic lights and slower traffic is not a big problem. But as always a lot has to do with the lead driver/rider. A good ride group is like everyone can read the lead's mine as to what he is doing or going to do.

• I added a few points that might help. The slingshot events are a breed of their own. I attend these events to ride with my brothers from afar and go with the fast group, that's why we hold these events in the twisties and I drive 8 or more hrs to attend. I expect the fast group will exceed the limits and push it hard. Let the faster driver in front of you and never drive above your ability. I have way to many great driver friends at these events to limit our group, since the days go by fast and weather can steal a day or two. The fast group is not for sight-seeing, its eyes on the road pucker up fun!

• I was just thinking here, would it be worthwhile to offer driver skill classes at our events?
    We could give lessons and advice, let them follow to learn how to use a groove in cornering, even if your not wanting to go fast its nice to know about handling of apex and breaking. Its all about learning for self improvement.

Would there be any interest???????

• Next event we could try doing a tutorial for an hour before the ride. All that would be needed is a dry wipe board to explain angles of the apex, breaking, following, and accelerating. We then could space inexperienced riders behind experienced ones so they could follow the line through a turns and mirror their actions.
    This has worked well for me in the past.

• Next event we could try doing a tutorial for an hour before the ride. All that would be needed is a dry wipe board to explain angles of the apex, breaking, following, and accelerating. We then could space inexperienced riders behind experienced ones so they could follow the line through a turns and mirror their actions.
    This has worked well for me in the past.

That would be good idea, also could take them out in the afternoon and have a leader, learner and a tail to watch the learners brake lights and groove, then pull over discuss it and try again.