Rear Protection Anyone?

• I struggled with the decision to go with Red or Gloss Black!!

Red: I would love the red back there. It would really break up the bland, dull black unfinished tub look. However, I'm anal about things getting dirt and crud on them, so even though the red would be sharp, it would also show every tar speck, dirt glob, you name it, that would get flung onto it from the tire. That would drive me nuts keeping it clean!!!

SOooo.....for me the Gloss Black would be the better choice. The gloss would offset the flat black plastic areas around it, but not show every speck the tire throws onto it. The crud would still be there, but at least I could live with it until I washed it off at a later date. The added bonus of gloss would be that the crud may wash off much easier!!!

That was my thought process....sad, but true...... :S

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• my ss is gloss black and i think you are right about it would be easier to clean,also I put on a rear fender made by polaris but it doesn’t go around the back of the rear tire only part of the wheel is covered

• I would like to make sure that people know their options. This is just another one...

Damn Skippy!!! That will assure me that my Bungholio remains EXIT ONLY if I unexpectedly found myself in a "Rainbow" area!!!!!

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• @SlingLow it is my understanding that the Havasu red is the Red pearl, the other reds are the Sunset red(17) and Midnight cherry(LE).

Thanks @Neosolidus, I stand corrected. I knew that, once.

I have ordered the diamond plate for the first round. I've got a handful interested in the wrinkle black, a few red pearls(lookalike), and a couple of gloss blacks. My material order is part of a larger order for a boat so I don't have an exact eta.

My decision to try the red came to me after seeing the wrinkle black in place. My original thought was not to dress up the rear panel as much as collect the crud that collects there and make it a little easier to clean. For that, the black will be best. After seeing it in place, however, I thought the red might really pop there on a red Sling. Obviously, either choice is going to take some abuse and likely degrade over time but so will the plastic. Since it will be removable, I will explore the cost and practicality of repainting periodically. The cost to me to paint the one I have was $20 as a onesy. I would think most every town of any size would likely have a powder-coater that can do this. For repainting, the wrinkle black would be standard in any shop, but you would need the name/code of the red to get it done and the powder has to be purchased by you or the shop.

I will post back up when these are in process and will contact those interested when I come up for air. Today, I am painting my house on what might be the last 80+ degree day of the year. Time to get my spray on!

I would like to make sure that people know their options. This is just another one...

Ass Armor would be a great name for a band!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• @SlingLow, I love the idea and your price is fantastic! I may be interested, the only reason I'm hesitant is that I already have the rear fender mounted there, and it would take a good bit of hassle to install for me. The fender I got was a pain in the arse to deal with on install.

As for the panel rusting.... technically @KayTwo nailed it with his comment to @MiM. However, aluminum will become oxidized over time, at least where I live it will. It gets nasty looking, and diamond plate is one that does it here. I would recommend either clear coat or powder coat for all of these..... my $.02.

• As for the panel rusting.... technically @KayTwo nailed it with his comment to @MiM. However, aluminum will become oxidized over time, at least where I live it will. It gets nasty looking, and diamond plate is one that does it here. I would recommend either clear coat or powder coat for all of these..... my $.02.

Brent, glad to see someone on this page appreciates chemical accuracy. Aluminum oxidation is not the same as rust - as a matter of fact, where rust weakens the metal lattice structure of ferrous materials, aluminum oxide is actually a top coat over the aluminum that is stronger than the aluminum it covers. Could end up being the strongest part of the Slingshot on the back half, for all we know. :D

• Brent, glad to see someone on this page appreciates chemical accuracy. Aluminum oxidation is not the same as rust - as a matter of fact, where rust weakens the metal lattice structure of ferrous materials, aluminum oxide is actually a top coat over the aluminum that is stronger than the aluminum it covers. Could end up being the strongest part of the Slingshot on the back half, for all we know. :D

Jared, it comes with my trade.... and I agree on it could be the strongest part and the ugliest also! We also will occasionally make tooling for magnesium, and have that poured at a shop that specializes in it. They got the properties off one time, and the parts one year later looked like they had been at the bottom of a salt water tank for 50 years. Nothing like aluminum would have done. I'm not as versed on magnesium, but the metal was breaking down.

• Jared, it comes with my trade.... and I agree on it could be the strongest part and the ugliest also! We also will occasionally make tooling for magnesium, and have that poured at a shop that specializes in it. They got the properties off one time, and the parts one year later looked like they had been at the bottom of a salt water tank for 50 years. Nothing like aluminum would have done. I'm not as versed on magnesium, but the metal was breaking down.

So gentlemen, @MiM is interested in a stainless look. In your opinions, would clear coated aluminum cut the grade or would we be better off with an actual color that simulates stainless?

• Brent, glad to see someone on this page appreciates chemical accuracy. Aluminum oxidation is not the same as rust - as a matter of fact, where rust weakens the metal lattice structure of ferrous materials, aluminum oxide is actually a top coat over the aluminum that is stronger than the aluminum it covers. Could end up being the strongest part of the Slingshot on the back half, for all we know. :D

Well, like, oh my gosh, you totally knew what I meant, like, why you always got to be such a scientist and stuff?...

• hm... now you are making me rethink my red pearl choice because that is a good point, glossy black with a clear coat might have to be it.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• A quick update on those who have expressed interest. For some reason I am only getting some of my PMs. Others give me a notification in my regular email (that I can't respond to), but do not show up in my conversations, so if I did not respond to you, that is probably why. I plan to post up pics of the gloss black and red options for those who are undecided. Anyone else out there that is thinking about this, join in anytime with no commitment, or stay tuned here for more info. Thanks to all!

@MiM - stainless (we'll work on that)
    @roadog1aj - gloss black
    @bjk81 - wrinkle black
    @Brucee - To Be Determined
    @MBMedic - TBD
    @Cypressfunk13 - TBD
    @CptJeep - wrinkle black
    @Neosolidus - TBD
    @rnj12 - pearl red
    @Zorasmiles - pearl red
    @Cywolv - TBD
    @johnl327 - gloss black
    @sgtklein - gloss black
    @CDCAMEL6 - pearl red
    @PaddyMcTexan - wrinkle black (your name rocks!)
    @flipr - gloss black (do you flip houses?)
    @Goats_Hogs - gloss black/clear
    @SSREAPER - gloss black/clear
    @McClendons - gloss black/clear
    @DKF Texas - gloss black/clear
    @Dread Pirate - gloss black/clear

Edited 3 times, last by SlingLow ().

• Ty for doing this for us! @SlingLow

You know, I'm really the one benefitting here. I wanted this for my Sling, now I'll get to choose from the various options. I did price it to make a few bucks for the gas tank or other goodies for my ride, and maybe I'll get some of my cash back from other members who have developed products. I'm doing this with my nephew who is an outstanding young man and he'll make a little pocket money to entertain his two teenage boys who are also great kids. I'm looking forward to a little shop-time with them! I am also interacting with more of the forum members here who seem to be a breed apart. At the end of the day, I'll take some satisfaction that people are putting my part on their Most Valuable Possession, and one of these days I'll run into one of you on the road and I'll say, 'hey, I'm that guy!' So thank you @bjk81 and everyone else!

• This is awesome.

I will be totally honest, this is a "Get around to it" mod for me, but one I can absolutely see the benefit for and will get around to it.

If the option were there for either a gloss or matte black version, well then I would likely go for those over a silver checkerplate.

You've got a great idea here and it is something Polaris should have done prior to shipping. But, then it will increase their weight, so...

• How much do I owe you and do you take PayPal?

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app