Rear Protection Anyone?

• I didn't think about wrinkle red. The red I am trying out should match the pearl red of the body panels. The wrinkle red would not be glossy and would match the wrinkle red CAIs and valve covers if that's what you bought. So, anybody else for wrinkle red? I would need 8 to get the best pricing. As I get different requests, I can work with people to establish non batch-purchase prices. I don't think it will be a lot more but there is a cost.

OK I will take the pearl red then. I have the pearl 2016.5 so that would work for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• That would be the matching option which is easy to install. I can pre-drill each plate in the four corners and include the push fasteners. All one would need to do is to put the plate in place, mark the 4 holes, remove the plate and drill the holes through the rear plastic. The fasteners then pop in from the outside. I would still use the 3M tape. Thanks @Neosolidus !

That would be ideal. Push pins and 3m tape together.

• That would be the matching option which is easy to install. I can pre-drill each plate in the four corners and include the push fasteners. All one would need to do is to put the plate in place, mark the 4 holes, remove the plate and drill the holes through the rear plastic. The fasteners then pop in from the outside. I would still use the 3M tape. Thanks @Neosolidus !

@SlingLow, to clarify you'd be pre-drilling for those of us who'd prefer? Considering the powder coating it would be best to do ahead of time before the coating for an overall better finish and wear. I purchased a '16.5 SL Red Pearl Paint and would enjoy having a color matched plate. My last question concerns the finish and wear of the powder coat--would the finish wearing longer with clear coating? This would probably determine which would I'd go for considering the location. Thanks

• @SlingLow, to clarify you'd be pre-drilling for those of us who'd prefer? Considering the powder coating it would be best to do ahead of time before the coating for an overall better finish and wear. I purchased a '16.5 SL Red Pearl Paint and would enjoy having a color matched plate. My last question concerns the finish and wear of the powder coat--would the finish wearing longer with clear coating? This would probably determine which would I'd go for considering the location. Thanks

Exactly @Zorasmiles, I would pre-drill all of the plates so that the edges of the holes would get paint as well as the edges of the plate itself. My discussions with the painter led to the decision to paint around all of the edges but not paint the majority of the back so that the tape will get maximum purchase. I too, have a '16.5 SL red pearl and will show pics just as soon as I have them. I will investigate the durability of the clear coat vs. no clear coat as well as the ability to refinish it and get back to you here. Thanks for your interest!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Correct @SlingLow the push pins should not replace the tape, just an added peace of mind.

Did you say that the painted red would be a color match for the red pearl ?

According to @mniron the paint he has used and passed on to me is a good match to the red pearl. I've seen pics of his ride and it looks awesome although I have not seen it in person. Anyone who has could probably give you their opinion. I'll have an example soon.

• Exactly @Zorasmiles, I would pre-drill all of the plates so that the edges of the holes would get paint as well as the edges of the plate itself. My discussions with the painter led to the decision to paint around all of the edges but not paint the majority of the back so that the tape will get maximum purchase. I too, have a '16.5 SL red pearl and will show pics just as soon as I have them. I will investigate the durability of the clear coat vs. no clear coat as well as the ability to refinish it and get back to you here. Thanks for your interest!

@SlingLow, AWESOME! Another reason I love this forum..the moment you're thinking "Hey there should be a mod for this!" and you see a post with someone who's already doing the R&D and making it happen! Looking forward to having this on the back of my sling! Now all I have to do is get the trailer finished LOL

• As a caution, the gas tank is back there, and soft plastic. Choose hole location wisely. Great idea and price, wonder if it would work with Corbin bags....

@McClendons, thanks. In my excitement I completely forgot about that. I will definitely proceed with caution with this must have mod lol

• According to @mniron the paint he has used and passed on to me is a good match to the red pearl. I've seen pics of his ride and it looks awesome although I have not seen it in person. Anyone who has could probably give you their opinion. I'll have an example soon.

It is a great match as long as you properly apply the clearcoat. The clearcoat is normally use for UV protection but in this case it makes the metal flake pop. Looking forward to the Pearl Red piece.

• Outstanding RD! I'm also waiting on carpets/mats to see what you come up with. I've had the Slingshot Only version and they do the job but I wouldn't mind something a little more upscale in the material.

No intention to hi-jack the thread so @SlingLow can you PM me if you want more details. looking for feedback.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• I'm sure that with research, colors can be found to match the havasu red, orange, blue, navy blue, midnight cherry, etc colors but I have not done that research because mine is pearl red.

You might talk to @Painter. Not sure if any of that info or the paint formulas are proprietary, but maybe he'd be able to at least point you in the right direction.

• Sorry guys.. I'm afraid @SlingLow made a miscalculation. These shields are Slingshot specific modifications, and as such, can not be sold for less than $199.95. :D

Hey @BryanL you underestimate me. My lawyer has informed me that I don't give a rat's ass!

Side note: My lovely bride would like to check out the Bent Shovel Brewery that we visited. I'll give you a call if we can pull it off in the next week or two. Cheers!

• Hey @BryanL you underestimate me. My lawyer has informed me that I don't give a rat's ass!
    Side note: My lovely bride would like to check out the Bent Shovel Brewery that we visited. I'll give you a call if we can pull it off in the next week or two. Cheers!

Sounds like a plan! I think they're only open Friday through Sundays though