Wheel Bearing Noise

• Hello all, I am new to the slingshot. I bought from an individual two moths ago and all of the recall work done then. Just as of late I have heard some wheel bearing noise 'click' at random times. From what I'm reading the belt could be a little tight after the recall work. My question. What and how tight should my belt be? I'm a big guy and ride two up mostly. I have read the reviews and feel confident on how to adjust the the belt but How Much should I loosen it? Any and all help is appreciated ! Thanks in advance!

• Hello all, I am new to the slingshot. I bought from an individual two moths ago and all of the recall work done then. Just as of late I have heard some wheel bearing noise 'click' at random times. From what I'm reading the belt could be a little tight after the recall work. My question. What and how tight should my belt be? I'm a big guy and ride two up mostly. I have read the reviews and feel confident on how to adjust the the belt but How Much should I loosen it? Any and all help is appreciated ! Thanks in advance!

Hi Nick! Congrats on your purchase & welcome to the best forum of ANY kind, much less for Slingshots.

The factory spec for belt tension (per the service manual) is 0.63” of deflection (with 10 lb of force applied) - however, we all agree this is just too tight (creating unnecessary wear on the cheesy rear axle needle bearing). I mostly ride solo & have mine set at 1” & it seems to work real well. With you being a big guy & mostly riding two up, try 1.5” of deflection at 10 lbs & see how that works out for ya’. This is just my humble opinion & you may get some different answers but I feel this would be a great starting point & pretty much get you in the ballpark for your needs. Take care, ride safe, have fun, God bless, good luck & Sling on!

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• ^^^^ Such a proper first impression :whistling: ....

Just wait until you get to know him... :saint:

@MiM, give the guy a break. Its his birthday, maybe he's turning over a new leaf or trying to get into heaven or something.

Or, maybe he's just f$&%in' with the new fish.... :P

Welcome, @Nick Alleshouse! You might also want to search this forum for discussions on clicking wheel bearings. Several guys have had them go bad, but have continued to drive in that condition until Polaris coughed up the parts.

• Welcome to the forum! The people in this place, for the most part, are some of the best you will find roaming the 'net! I agree with @Tripod, if you run two up most of the time 1 1/2 inches should be good. I have mine set between 1 and 1 1/4, as my riding is pretty much 50/50 on solo verses passenger.

• Welcome @Nick Alleshouse!!
    Here are a couple links that might help you understand how to do your own adjustments on the belt:

Drive Belt / Removal / Tension / Alignement

Very good video demonstration:

Snazzy's Drive Belt Adjustments explained

Hope these help!!!!

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• Welcome @Nick Alleshouse!!!
    I would never presume to know mor than @Tripod about adjustments on the Sling! After all, he works on nuclear plants. =O
    Can't think of a time he has steered us wrong...at least when it comes to the SS. :00000436:

Ditto here and welcome Nick. I wanted to give Tripod a glowing review, but he's already glowing from his job

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• @MiM, give the guy a break. Its his birthday, maybe he's turning over a new leaf or trying to get into heaven or something.
    Or, maybe he's just f$&%in' with the new fish.... :P

Welcome, @Nick Alleshouse! You might also want to search this forum for discussions on clicking wheel bearings. Several guys have had them go bad, but have continued to drive in that condition until Polaris coughed up the parts.

welcome to the fourm.

I was one of those guys.

I unless you are clicking like mine you're good. I placed my video below so you don't need to search. This is needle bearing noise.

Tight belt can cause lots of noise.

• Thanks guys!!!! I feel the love! Keep the comments and help coming! I have updated my profile and location, I'm in Bolivar Ohio! Next dumb question. I get the hanging the weight with a belt scale but what is deflection? Sorry again, this is my fist belt issue and I have watched all of the recommended vids but a little unclear on it.

• Thanks guys!!!! I feel the love! Keep the comments and help coming! I have updated my profile and location, I'm in Bolivar Ohio! Next dumb question. I get the hanging the weight with a belt scale but what is deflection? Sorry again, this is my fist belt issue and I have watched all of the recommended vids but a little unclear on it.

Deflection would be the distance (amount of slack / travel) of the belt (bottom side, in the middle) when pushing up & down on it. Like @Slingrazor said, make sure to do adjustments on a cold belt (I forgot to mention that in my original response & that is important!) - belt will tighten significantly when it gets heated up from driving.

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• Thanks do you know what bearing puller to buy?

I have pulled many bearings over my working career. But even though I carry a spare set of bearings whenever I leave town on a trip I have not pulled the bearings out of the housing yet. I have greased them in place. I bought a set of pullers from Harbor Freight that I was told would work.

• I have pulled many bearings over my working career. But even though I carry a spare set of bearings whenever I leave town on a trip I have not pulled the bearings out of the housing yet. I have greased them in place. I bought a set of pullers from Harbor Freight that I was told would work.

How do you grease them in place? Is there a fitting I’m not seeing?

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

Michael West
    Gainesville Ga.
    404-401-0841

:SLRSS::COLDAIRSS::MOTOROILSS: :OILFILTERSS: :00008862::00008698:

:00000436::00000436::00000436: