Aftermarket Head Unit w/ OEM Cam Integration

• Just wanted to share my experience and give a short review on the new head unit I purchased. First little background, I originally had a Pioneer 4800 installed in my SS. The Pioneer was a very good head unit but I purchased the OEM cam and slingmods oem cam harness for after market radios and could never get the OEM cam to work. Then the new Scosche wireharness came out ( https://www.slingmods.com/pola…on-scosche?search=scosche ). So I called Slingmods and asked them if the scosche wire harness would work for my cam. The Slingmods rep mentioned they have had several reports with the OEM cam not working with Pioneer Head units but offered to send me the Scosche wireharness for free to try out. I installed this new Harness with my Pioneer head unit and still the BU cam did not work.

I then went out and purchased a new Kenwood head unit ( https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood…=8-4&keywords=kenwood+ddx ). Installed the head unit using the Scosche harness and sure enough the back up cam worked flawlessly.

Kenwood DDX773BH Key Points:
    1) Setting the unit to black background makes for easier viewing in direct sun.
    2) You have the ability to hook a front and rear cam into this head unit
    3) Many different ways to customize the display with backgrounds and different light colors
    4) Can completely customize the EQ settings
    5) You have the ability to turn the camera on at any time while driving with just hitting the camera button in settings (this can double as a rear view mirror). While camera is on your music still plays.
    6) You have the ability to turn the reverse parking grid lines on or off in settings.
    7) You have the ability to turn on/off the reverse interruption. IE if you put the SS in reverse with the reverse interruption on the display with show the back up cam regardless of what is displayed prior to going into reverse. With the camera reverse interruption off you have to manually turn the cam on in settings to view the cam (I run with the reverse interruption on).

I hope this review will help others in the future who are trying to integrate an OEM cam with an aftermarket head unit. I know if there was a review like this when I was looking to purchase a head unit it would have saved me a lot of time and money for that matter.

• I am hoping to have my new setup all wired in soon. It is going to be a "modified unit", originally, all the way from China. :00010164:

Some friends have changed the insides to make it do a shed load of extra things, for me... However, the camera setup, for the rear camera. It's also getting one or two, (or 3, 4,) more cameras added. We are is intended to use the standard SlingShot camera, for its existing job and so intend to integrate it to the standard setup, in this radio.

I'll let you all know how things go, when I have more information.

All the best, from UK_Paul

Edited once, last by UK_Paul ().