Fatal Roll-Over news -- Future recall?

• That says 2015.... did they make changes to the retractors in later models?

I think it sounds like he was t-boned...particle ejection....the seat belts are made to hold you basically from head on...I could see a side attack stressing the retractor beyond its limits..

• I think the bigger question for us is "Where was Stabilitrack? " How did this thing get sideways in the first place? He was probably following a car in 5th gear, dropped it to 4th, and mashed the gas to make the pass. We all have done it. This time it got sideways and he loss control.

Last week I was getting pretty aggressive on a country road with some 90 deg. turns in it. I have taken this road many times and drove it aggressive. It's cool because it cuts through farmers fields and you can see if there is oncoming traffic before you get into the turn. This time I hit the apex dumped the clutch, mashed the gas and it got sideways and I ran off the road into some weeds. No damage except for my heart racing at 240. Scared the hell out of me. I've done the same move in the same turn many times and the SS just tracks out. My tires are good and I wondered about my Stabilitrack. It is harvest time so I tracked it up to some grain may have been spilled onto the road.

Anyhow, I think the next mod needs to be racing harnesses and soon.

Always be yourself unless you can be Batman.
    Then be Batman!

• I think the bigger question for us is "Where was Stabilitrack? " How did this thing get sideways in the first place? He was probably following a car in 5th gear, dropped it to 4th, and mashed the gas to make the pass. We all have done it. This time it got sideways and he loss control.

Well, from the point of view of any outside agency, this becomes "driving erratically". Turning into "driver error". Otherwise, all it takes is a few stones on the highway at the wrong time, or even just some sand, and this thing gets sideways super easy. The sling, she only likes her asphalt and concrete.

As for the impact itself, (I am going to guess here), I assume the sling would have been struck on the passenger side, tossing the driver to the left. Since the harness comes over the right, you can easily see the partial ejection occurring.

Now you have a "lap belt" that has slack, (due to the loose shoulder strap not retracting). When the driver hits that belt at it's tightened point, that might have been enough to break the retractor. That slack and the body being moved at 60+ MPH means at the end point of the slack, the belt took a force of double or triple the drivers weight.

I forget the math around the kinematics of trauma, but you can easily see how this may have exceeded the limits of the restraint. Which, would be a strong argument to have Polaris install a 4 point harness from factory since there is no good way of bringing the shoulder harness over the left shoulder.

(Sorry....work brain is turned on)

• Ok if the SS was situated with the passenger side leading and striking the oncoming vehicle wouldn't the driver continue forward toward the passenger side (to the right)?

• Okay... Not to be the downer of the group, but none of us bought the sling because of its IIHS safety ratings. Some of us bought it because it's safER than a motorcycle, but that's the only way id put the sling and safe in the same sentence. Some of us do what we can to mitigate the risks, and others of us push the envelope. Either way we are at risk.

That said, I could slip on my tile floor getting out of the shower, have a heart attack, or have an aneurism too, so might as well enjoy life while you're at it.

Get the gov't too involved, and pretty soon, there is going to be a requirement for airbags, doors, and 20pt harnesses, otherwise they'll not be legal.

• Okay... Not to be the downer of the group, but none of us bought the sling because of its IIHS safety ratings. Some of us bought it because it's safER than a motorcycle, but that's the only way id put the sling and safe in the same sentence. Some of us do what we can to mitigate the risks, and others of us push the envelope. Either way we are at risk.

That said, I could slip on my tile floor getting out of the shower, have a heart attack, or have an aneurism too, so might as well enjoy life while you're at it.

Get the gov't too involved, and pretty soon, there is going to be a requirement for airbags, doors, and 20pt harnesses, otherwise they'll not be legal.

That's the great part of owning one now, we'll be grandfathered in if it happens.

Last week I was getting pretty aggressive on a country road with some 90 deg. turns in it. I have taken this road many times and drove it aggressive. It's cool because it cuts through farmers fields and you can see if there is oncoming traffic before you get into the turn. This time I hit the apex dumped the clutch, mashed the gas and it got sideways and I ran off the road into some weeds. No damage except for my heart racing at 240. Scared the hell out of me. I've done the same move in the same turn many times and the SS just tracks out. My tires are good and I wondered about my Stabilitrack. It is harvest time so I tracked it up to some grain may have been spilled onto the road.

Anyhow, I think the next mod needs to be racing harnesses and soon.

Blaze, did you make any changes like a new sway bar? Since I installed mine. The front end seems a little more jumpy. That's why I don't think I'll use the closer inside holes to make it even more stiff.

On a curve with a series of bumps it seemed to skip over them ...kinda scared me...

• Ok, not really sure about posting this as it's hear say but I will anyways. Just got back from a trip up northern Michigan and had a guy approach me to talk. He said his buddies brother was killed in a slingshot near Detroit last year. He described the whole situation to me and one thing that stood out washe mentioned something in the back end driveline snapped causing him to veer into oncoming traffic. Again let me stress that this is what I was told by this guy. Complete hear say. This guy did not appear as a biker or such just someone that happened to be in the same place as me. He seemed sincere when he was telling me the story.

• That's what worries me about hearing everyone talking about adding turbos and redlining, and burning rubber all the time...

I would think if you're going to do any of the above...I would look into beefing up everything down the line....because everything bigger and more powerful is changing the weakest link in the driveline...that probably wasn't made to take that kind of pounding..

• That's what worries me about hearing everyone talking about adding turbos and redlining, and burning rubber all the time...

I would think if you're going to do any of the above...I would look into beefing up everything down the line....because everything bigger and more powerful is changing the weakest link in the driveline...that probably wasn't made to take that kind of pounding..

The weak link in the drive line IS the rear tire. That's why some of us have had to go a little bit wider for the extra traction

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Ok if the SS was situated with the passenger side leading and striking the oncoming vehicle wouldn't the driver continue forward toward the passenger side (to the right)?

only to the point of impact.... then picture a game of pool.

Only way government can do that is to create a classification solely for Slingshots because all sold classified as a motorcycle could not be retroactively ordered to reinvent the wheel. Going forward if they required Slingshots to adhere to auto safety regulations Polaris would more than likely cease production as plant retooling and redesign costs would cause retail prices to soar - killing their target market. JMHO !!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it