Seat belt issue?

• I started to reply to this and then decided it was too complex an issue, but ended up posting this reply over on TDS -

Since the Slingshot was built as a motorcycle, seat belts were NOT required by law, BUT, by including seat belts (presumably) as a basic measure to try and keep occupants in their seats (don't know if Polaris actually meant them to function as safety belts in a crash), POLARIS may have opened the door to criticism and possible legislation.

It is my personal belief that Polaris positioned the seat belts with the belt working opposite compared to regular car seat belts to increase the thrill of riding since you feel less restricted during right hand turns. (I have also heard that the belts were positioned as they are because driver testing showed the seat belts flapped way too much for comfort when positioned normally). Folks see seat belts and may just expect them to fulfill the same role and meet the same standards as regular car seat belts. This will be an interesting situation to follow.

• I would suspect the reason the seat belts come from the center is so that you aren't climbing over them to get in or out of either side. The Elio was going to be that way also, with just left side entry the seat belt comes from the right.

• I would suspect the reason the seat belts come from the center is so that you aren't climbing over them to get in or out of either side. The Elio was going to be that way also, with just left side entry the seat belt comes from the right.

Catching your foot on the belt as you get out...gracefully falling into the car parked next to you lol. I could def see a tangle/trip hazard if they were located on the left.

• Someone on this site said they were designed like they are to turn your body inward on impact..spin you toward the center..your inside shoulder would stay under the belt where it is and the outside shoulder would be free to move toward the console...

Actually makes good sense to me...

Reading the article it sounds like he was t-boned....

A guy I work with was t-boned in a car and he went out the side window and landed on the hood of the other car....broke his back...now think about how the seat belts attach in a car....your right shoulder is free to turn your body toward the side window...

If we get t-boned you're in big trouble seat belt or not..