Track day not good

• Do y'all mind if I close this thread..... I just need a yes its ok, or no leave it open.... I cant see this thread being very productive..... But its up to the majority so let me know.....

well I'm not the most active member but I'll vote to close it .... It looks like more of a high school Facebook post than a SS friendly thread

• Better to go on the side of freedom of expression. These things will work themselves out on their own, they always do. I believe the majority of the members here came here to get away from locked/deleted threads and censorship. If it's more of the same why would we even be here... JMO

• close it! This is getting like "The Other Place" Come on Boys, were the tight group that moved on, let it rest, swallow some pride and lets move on...

I Have No more toys, just memories.... :/

• Do y'all mind if I close this thread..... I just need a yes its ok, or no leave it open.... I cant see this thread being very productive..... But its up to the majority so let me know.....

It shouldn't have existed in the first place ......

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Perhaps, Rab, you can close this thread after I post.

1. Regardless of what happened at our track day, Jim and Pam Mosbey deserve our thoughts, not some dufus running around on a track in West Virginia.

2. Track Day - @TheRock put on one hell of a track day. Every single Slingshot person there had an amazing time - including myself who had the best time of everyone there. The track was in fantastic shape and the day was gloriously beautiful. I love our little family here in the DMV area which extends as far as Michigan and Florida (love you @pigmanfu). Henry flew in to see his work of art do what it was meant to do - stretch it's legs and pound a chassis into submission. Mission accomplished @Turbosling - literally and figuratively ;)

3. The Monster - I have never driven a slingshot as balanced and as badass as the one Alpha Powersport forged for me. It isn't even close. I have driven the base, the SL, a Hahn turbo, an Alpha Turbo, a JonV turbo, and a DDM Supercharged Slingshot. Absolutely none of them compare. It isn't even in the same league. I can only liken it to the difference between a V6 rental mustang and something like a Shelby GT500 or GT350 - even though they both say "Mustang" on them, they are worlds apart. The same is true for the Monster and ANY other Slingshot. Ask the few folks who have driven it hard and they will tell you the exact same thing. I want to be clear here - the Monster, once the newly machined from scratch belt tensioner was on the V8 it ran better than any slingshot ever made. I am not exagerating - ask anyone who heard it and saw it run - the fueling was perfect, the tip in was spot on, the power delivery linear with a plateau of torque. It didn't vibrate, overheat, stumble, rev flare, make funny noises, spit fluids, or complain - simply perfect.

3. "The Kiss" - I don't claim to be a racecar driver even when I stay at a Holiday Inn Express. As a matter of fact, I didn't pass a single vehicle on the track that day. Why? Is it my ability? Is it the V8 is a complete failure? Is it the track? The competition? The elements? Maybe some of them are true - maybe none. What I can say is this - the V8 had nothing to do with The Kiss. I spent most of my sessions getting to know the Monster and starting slow. I worked my way up and I assure you that I was not show boating - I;m not nearly good enough. The vehicle has massive brakes, massive shocks, and massive power. The package is second to none. When I came out of a slow(ish) turn and hit a short straight, the back end came loose after the turn. It may have been a bump or just my poor judgement but it got the machine unsettled enough to turn slightly towards the inside of the track. This is similar to anyone who has hydroplaned the rear tire and started to spin - the exact same thing was happening here. I was trying to let it correct but ran out of asphalt real estate and hit grass. It turned just enough to kiss the inside concrete wall nearly flush. The front end absorbed most of the impact from the 55mph impact. The rear tire was balding and there was only 1 bar of gas in it - did that have an effect? Most definitely. Were those the only elements? Probably not.

I will post more info in my V8 build thread to help others learn from my unfortunate incident. I built this Monster to do exactly what I did most of that day. There were 2 other vehicles that wrecked that day and one was by someone who is considered a professional racer. These things happen and mine could very easily have happened to any sling on the track. It wasn't the V8, it wasn't the brakes, and it wasn't the suspension. Hmmm... perhaps I should take another look at the driver?

Pam - I am sorry for your loss. If there is anything I can do for you please let me know.

Rab - please close this thread.

• Better to go on the side of freedom of expression. These things will work themselves out on their own, they always do. I believe the majority of the members here came here to get away from locked/deleted threads and censorship. If it's more of the same why would we even be here... JMO

I am done with the subject and I won't be part of dragging it out anymore, but I also agree with @cmykpro most of us came here because of over moderation on the other thread, so my vote is to leave it open. If you don't like what's going on in this thread, don't come in it... I sure won't be visiting this particular thread again...

• Glad you're ok Tango! I drove my Lotus Elise at Sebring during a Chin track day with over 3 hours of track time and the only issue I had was brake fade (ok, serious brake fade). Driving out of a slow 90 right hand turn on the street with almost bald tires caused me to fishtail and go across the road into a ditch. I think you see the common denominator. Not saying that's what caused it (especially from 1,000 miles away), but just remember, the only thing keeping us going in the right direction is our tires. And there's only 1 back there. Obviously there's a reason they put 335's on the back of Vipers. I'd argue that your power to weight ratio was 3x better than a Viper, with less than half the traction.

• As you wish Tango.... This thread will be closed. Glad your ok and sorry you messed up the V8 monster.... When you get time it would be great for you to start a thread and give more details about your wreck and the progress of the rebuild....