Bullet Speed Quad Conversion

• IIRC, Henry @ Alpha said the 4-wheel version definitely sticks much better on the track allowing higher cornering speeds.
    Also, while I thought the nanny controls were lost in the conversion, I seem to have seen a post somewhere that at least one conversion preserved the safety systems.
    As far as the conversion goes, I'd imagine it would be treated as a kit vehicle in most states or at least those states that have such a classification. Of course, if the state uses just the VIN to determine category, the vehicle should remain a motorcycle or autocycle, depending on the particular state.

I'd consider a 4-wheel conversion IF they could get the price down to below $8K (unlikely, due to lack of volume) AND if the safety controls can be retained.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• otter does/did have the kit and he did crash on one of the turns. Nanny or not, exceeding the laws of physics will cause any of us to crash. dont know the details of whether or not it was on the exit of a turn or going I to a turn. In the first scenario, the nanny may have helped, on the latter, not so much.
    Hope he's got it back up and running. It was sad to see it. :(

• The law depends on the state, I was doing some inquiries and here in MN if the kit is a direct bolt on(which both quads are) then is considered as an accessory and class doesn't change as far as DMV is concerned.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I thought I saw on a post, either here or on TDS, that Otter had the kit and went into a guard rail because of no "nannys". Or maybe not.

someone crashing into the guardrail while trying to push the vehicle to improve his timing on as "race" should not be considered in the talks to determine if something is safe or not...too many unknowns and the possibility of driver error is just too high.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Last i heard Traction Control & Stability didn't work, But at Ball Equipment Woodward Track day there was a 4 wheel conversion with everything working. He built it and made it into a kit and was designed with a leaf spring instead of coil overs. Maybe @WOLF has the website since he posted some pics in this thread below. There is some videos of him on the track and i think he said he hit 110 a couple times on the track.

3rd Annual 2017 Ball Equipment Slingshot Dream Cruise & Waterford Track Event (Thu, Aug 17th 2017, 12:00pm - 4:00pm)

• Last i heard Traction Control & Stability didn't work, But at Ball Equipment Woodward Track day there was a 4 wheel conversion with everything working. He built it and made it into a kit and was designed with a leaf spring instead of coil overs. Maybe @WOLF has the website since he posted some pics in this thread below. There is some videos of him on the track and i think he said he hit 110 a couple times on the track.

3rd Annual 2017 Ball Equipment Slingshot Dream Cruise & Waterford Track Event (Thu, Aug 17th 2017, 12:00pm - 4:00pm)

That may well be the one I was thinking about.

Uhmmmmm group buy :whistling:

Group Buy participation would still depend on how my $$ situation is at that point.

• someone crashing into the guardrail while trying to push the vehicle to improve his timing on as "race" should not be considered in the talks to determine if something is safe or not...too many unknowns and the possibility of driver error is just too high.

yes @Neosolidus Otter is the first to admit he was pushing the limits at the hill climb that day and was setting some top times too , And wouldn't you know it , him and I had spent a half hour that morning at SSITR measuring my rear quarter panels and his Sling to see if they would fit as he thought they would be an awesome addition to a quad kit , fairing in the rear tires instead of my luggage cases then we left for the hillclimb and,,,, well he says he,s still interested but some other parts need to be purchased first , lol He has never insinuated in any way that the crash was a result of any thing else other then him pushing the limits just a little too hard ! and in our conversations and all his postings on T.D.S. he has never had a bad thing to say about that quad conversion.

• For me personally, I'm still fine with 3 wheels. For the $13k it would cost to get the Bullet, I can drive my SS until it has 75,000 miles or so, then sell it and put that $13k with it and at very least get a newer low mileage one for another run up of miles.There are a few of us that just run the wheels off our Slings. I know many don't put all that many miles on them. I've had mine out for 10 1/2 months of driving season, some of that not that nice of weather so not as many miles on it. I'm about 100 miles from having 24,000 on ours.

• While I won't be dropping the cash for a 4 wheel conversion anytime soon I like that there are options for replacing the angle drive and rear axle. Both leave a bit to be desired in the design category.

Safety nannies like ABS and traction control do save lives and make poor drivers into safer drivers but how did anyone ever survive driving vehicles without these technologies in the past? Not having either would not sway my decision to go 4 wheels or stick with 3. Maybe its just us old farts that learned to drive sports cars with zero tech that view them from a slightly different perspective.

• I think it is important for us to realize that a quad kit customer really isn't a Slingshot customer in most cases. It is a customer that has always wanted an Arial Atom or KTM X-Bow and can convert a Slingshot much more affordably.

You can get a 4 wheeled high performance open wheeled vehicle for a big discount compared to the orhers in the market.

Slingshot - $12k to $15k
    Quad Kit - $12k
    Turbo Kit - $5k
    2 front shocks - $1k
    Wheels and tires - $3k

Grand total - $35k to $40k

Anyone want to remind me what a good used Atom costs?

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• You can get Atom 2's with the supercharged Ecotec for around $45K used. One of our first twincharged Atom's sold for around that price recently with around 400whp and we have another person we are helping to purchase one in that price range also. It would be a neat comparison between a 4-wheel Slingshot and an Atom, the Atom's are actually a little bit of a handful to drive fast and remember that they do not have ABS, traction control or any nannies at all. They are also heavily biased to the rear for weight and have less steering angle than the Slingshot, so if the back starts to come around in the Atom, it is something you have to stay ahead of.