Anyone have the tall Ripper windshield?

• Have you had the opportunity to ride in one of the Slingshots with a taller F4 3+ or 5+ ?

I have not, but I'm hoping to see some different options at Booze & Blues.

Honestly, I don't know how I feel about looking through a windshield. I never have on any of my bikes. So we'll see.

• I did not, Patrick. I love the design of the standard, just not sure how I feel about the taller one, or I might have just ordered it.

OK, thanks. I believe it sits further forward like the MadStad. If this is the case than I am good. Just need a little more info.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• I have not, but I'm hoping to see some different options at Booze & Blues.
    Honestly, I don't know how I feel about looking through a windshield. I never have on any of my bikes. So we'll see.

Riding Gold Wings I always preferred to look thru and had a Tulsa Shield on my Wings --- taller-wider-tinted. So the F4 5+ tinted is great for my likes.

• I have not, but I'm hoping to see some different options at Booze & Blues.

@KayTwo you gonna see one of the tallest F 4 Windshields at Booze $ Blues "mine" which is F 4 + 7. I still have my F 4 + 5 for warm weather.

Do not resent growing old. Many are denied.... The Privilege :REDSS: :SUPERCHARGERSS: : :HEADERSS: : :COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch

• Our “Taller” Windshield Solution: :thumbsup:
    Driving the SL home from the dealer with the stock windshield quickly confirmed the need for a change. Too much wind buffeting in the cockpit, wind blast directly at my head and left shoulder, could not hear the radio above 35 MPH, & conversation with passenger was difficult/impossible. (For reference; I’m 6’6”, 290 lbs., 37” inseam). We were seriously considering ordering the F4 windshield, (the plus 3 or 5), but wanted to see one in-person first.

However, after several days we returned to our dealer for the 500 mile service. We were discussing windshields and guess what; they had a new Polaris Ripper “Tall” windshield in stock. The service department agreed to temporarily install the windshield on our SS & let me take it for test drive it to see how it worked for me. (Note: we left the protective film cover in place on the WS, in case we didn’t want to buy it. It looked funny to see me driving with the WS covered up, but I was able to see over the top edge so no problems)

Much better wind protection than stock! It’s taller than OEM Blade WS, and has a rubber spacer on the center support that tilts the WS more upright. Also the two “vents” in the lower center areas really helps with the airflow in the cockpit.

To further optimize wind flow, I later made a few more adjustments:
    (1) Crafted an additional rubber spacer to add to the center support arm, which tilts the windshield even further upright. This does not raise the windshield top edge above my line of sight, but did help direct the air flow even higher over our heads. (a longer Allen-head bolt needed to be used through both spacers)

(2) On each side, I moved the WS mounting position holes “up” about an inch. This raised the WS height further on each side/end, and better aligned the overall WS tilt angle in front of the driver & passenger with the increased tilt from the additional center spacer. Note: This required drilling 2 new mounting holes and using new hardware (Stainless Bolts, Fender Washers, Rubber Washers, etc)

(3) When the stock seats were out (to install the Gen II floor mats) I noticed on the seat mounting brackets, the rear mounting positions have a welded-on metal spacer about 3/8 “thick. I decided to remove these from the driver’s seat base, which lowered the drivers seat height.

Overall result: Improved airflow that goes “over” our helmets, minimized cockpit buffeting, better conversations and radio sound even on the freeway. I’m still able to see just over the top edge of the windshield vs looking through it. The WS is very stable, no flexing at higher speeds. And I like the look of the sharp angles of the top edge of the Ripper that goes with the SS styling.

PS: I know, I know; photos or it didn't happen. :/ I don't have any handy, but if anyone is interested I can take a few & post them later

• ^^^ @KayTwo

Copy, thanks.

@ITZQUIK, that's an awesome writeup. Thanks for the detail. I'm 6'4", 35" inseam, and I completely agree with the buffeting with the stock blade. I don't mind it most of the time, but I want to see what the difference is. And like you, I like the angles on the Ripper. I'm just not sure how I feel about having the top of the windshield in the middle of my field of vision.

Would love to have pictures of all the mids you made for your windshield...and what is this about lowering the stock seat frame?? Might have to look into that.

Thank you!

• KayTwo, I'll try tomorrow to post a few photos of my Tall Ripper and the mods I did .

As for the seat mount mod, I know lowering the seat 3/8" in the back is not a lot, but when you're tall every little bit helps. The back mounting points on the seats have a block of metal I removed by grinding them off. Was a pain to get them off, but I figured if I didn't like the results I could always add some washers back in to bring the seat rail back up to original height. I didn't take a before picture, but I did find two pics of the seat mounting rail after the metal was removed

• @KayTwo
    Here are myTall Ripper WS photos:
    1 - overall front view
    2 - closer look at two "vents" (holes) for cockpit airflow. Note: Ripper requires two holes to be drilled for the 2 push pins in center
    3 - shows side mounting point moved upwards ~1 inch (plastic cap over the factory WS mounting hole)
    4 - shows whats visible of the new mounting screw location with hood closed
    5 - side view showing overall angle and smooth flow/line of top edge of WS
    6 - Center post with spacers to tilt up the WS angle (Fat rubber spacer comes with Ripper, the thinner one I added for more tilt)
    (note: 1' Al tube painted black with plastic end caps, mounted on center support post so Rear-View mirror mount is ~1.5" higher so I have a nice steady rear view looking over the rear deck)

• F4 Customs manufactures a plus 3" and a plus 5" shield both in tint and clear. The difference is we use High Optic Polycarbonate material and bake our proprietary coatings into the shield. This gives you great Optics, Rain Shedding, and Scratch Resistance.
    Also there are no bends in the corners of the shield so it is optically perfect exspecially in the twisty roads.
    With the F4 Customs shield you just clean it with paper towels and any glass cleaner and don't' worry about scratches.
    Check us out on the web at http://www.f4customs.com
    330-968-4644
    Don