Tires...what are you running?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Bigdog wrote:

Can someone running the nitto 555 G2, 255/35/20 verify the tire width. I read some stats that claim it is 12” wide.... our stock rims are only 9” and my stock tire measures just about 10”.....
      So you don't trust the manufacturer's specs. You want to hear from some goober like me. Sheesh!

BTW, the sky is blue. Trust me on this.
      In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
    • Bigdog wrote:

Can someone running the nitto 555 G2, 255/35/20 verify the tire width. I read some stats that claim it is 12” wide.... our stock rims are only 9” and my stock tire measures just about 10”.....
      Check this link - NT555 G2 Summer Ultra High Performance Tire | Nitto Tire - According to that link, Nitto says up to a 275 555 G2 can be mounted on a 9" wide wheel. Mounting a 275/30 tire will mean you're going just under 64 mph at an indicated 65. Mounting a 275/35 tire means you'll be just over 66 mph at an indicated 65. Both of these values are from the Discount Tire Tire Size Calculator - Tire Size Calculator | Check Tire Size Conversion | Discount Tire.
    • 9” wheel now do you think a 12” wide tire will do that. That’s why I’m questioning the 12” width marked down for that tire. 255/35/20

And that’s why I’m asking someone that has this tire how wide it actually is. I want to buy one but now I’m Leary. The stock Kenda is 10” wide. 12” sounds awful big for a 9” rim.
    • Bigdog: On my previous SS with your size tire, I ran 275-40-20. On the other forum, there used to be a rep from Discount Tire that stated this was the largest size that should be used. I wore out one, had a second one on when it was traded. No idea of width, but it was wider and taller and provided a more comfortable ride. Can't remember how much the speedo was off, but not all that significant...to me.
      18 SLR Lemon/Gray
      Vanderhall Venice (traded for SLR Apr '18)
      '16.6 SLR LE (traded for Vanderhall Oct '17)
      '11 & '14 Can Am RT's
      60 Years of 2 Wheeling
    • ulflyer wrote:

Bigdog: On my previous SS with your size tire, I ran 275-40-20. On the other forum, there used to be a rep from Discount Tire that stated this was the largest size that should be used. I wore out one, had a second one on when it was traded. No idea of width, but it was wider and taller and provided a more comfortable ride. Can't remember how much the speedo was off, but not all that significant...to me.
      Was that on the stock rim? My tire store doesn’t stock these tires so without seeing and being able to measure an actual tire, I’m in the dark.
    • The Nitto link I provided above clearly show the width Nitto designed for the stock 255/35R20 tire. If the manufacturer says it's safe to use a specific tire size/wheel width combination, then it should be safe since they don't want to be sued. If you don't trust the manufacturer's design recommendations, why would you trust anything posted on the web by anyone you don't personally know?
    • Bigdog wrote:

255/35/20 is our stock rear tire size. And it’s not 12” wide. Nitto specs say their tire this size is 12” wide. So why shouldn’t I question it?

Don’t you think 2” wider is a big difference for the same size tire?
      From Nitto's 555 G2 web-listing (the Motivo's sizing is the same) -
      Is there some other Nitto website?

I believe it's technically impossible for a 255 width tire to be 12" wide (as that would be the equivalent of a 305 tire). Yes, placing a tire on a narrower wheel will cause the tire sidewall to bow outwards, but the designed contact surface would still not change from it's factory specs and the tire would be in danger of having it's sidewalls acting full-time as part of the contact patch, a situation guaranteed to result in problems which no manufacturer would approve. I know of no conditions where a 255 width tire could reach that width w/o serious risk of tire destruction that no manufacturer would recommend/endorse due to liability.

The post was edited 2 times, last by BKL ().

• To explain in another way. Tire sizes reference the tread width, aspect ratio and wheel diameter. So with MINOR differences a 255 XX XX tire is 255 MM wide (tread width). 255 mm is 10.039370079" or roughly 10 3/64" wide. Plus or minus for slight variations from tire manufacturer to tire manufacturer. There is no way a 255 wide tire is 12" wide plain and simple

next question
      If your carpet has to match the drapes,
      shouldn't your trailer match your Slingshot?
    • funinthesun wrote:

To explain in another way. Tire sizes reference the tread width, aspect ratio and wheel diameter. So with MINOR differences a 255 XX XX tire is 255 MM wide (tread width). 255 mm is 10.039370079" or roughly 10 3/64" wide. Plus or minus for slight variations from tire manufacturer to tire manufacturer. There is no way a 255 wide tire is 12" wide plain and simple

next question

For the tread width I do know this. Tread width that meets the road for the 255 runs from around 8 inches to almost 10 inches. The tread width that they quote is not always what is meeting the road. The stock Kenda is one of the widest out there.
    • FunCycle wrote:

For the tread width I do know this. Tread width that meets the road for the 255 runs from around 8 inches to almost 10 inches. The tread width that they quote is not always what is meeting the road. The stock Kenda is one of the widest out there.
      True, but each manufacturer specifies a designed tread width size based on use on a specified wheel width range. I just can't envision a manufacturer-approved situation where a "255" tire would reach 12" wide.
    • BKL wrote:

FunCycle wrote:

True, but each manufacturer specifies a designed tread width size based on use on a specified wheel width range. I just can't envision a manufacturer-approved situation where a "255" tire would reach 12" wide.
      I do not know what you are getting at. The 255 x 35 x 20 would no longer be if it were 12 inches wide.
    • FunCycle wrote:

BKL wrote:

FunCycle wrote:

I do not know what you are getting at. The 255 x 35 x 20 would no longer be if it were 12 inches wide.
      I totally agree with you. I just wish I knew where @Bigdog got his 12" wide 255 info from.
    • First of all this is @Bigdog who argues everything. Period. So no reason to even continue.

Second is Nitto Does not Call this a 12” width tire. It is 10.24 which fits easily on a 9” rim. See snapshot from site.

Lastly!! @rabtech I know you are busy, but can you kill this thread or this guy!!!!
      AKA Jim Camp 8)
    • Another nice thing about the Nitto 555 G2 (NT555 G2 Summer Ultra High Performance Tire | Nitto Tire) is Nitto says you can use a 285/35R18 tire on the stock Base rear wheel or up to a 275/35R20 on the stock SL rear wheel. At those sizes, the Discount Tire Tire Size Calculator (Tires and Wheels Near Me | Find a Location | Discount Tire) shows either tire to read just over 66 mph at an indicated 65 mph.

The post was edited 1 time, last by BKL ().

Slingshotinfo.com is not affiliated with Polaris Industries the makers of Polaris Slingshot in any way.