Tires...what are you running?

• I'm at the place where I need to be seriously thinking about tires. I thought about replacing all three before Maggie, but regardless will need them after. Anyone running Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2? Tread and specs look to be decent for a performance tire but not a track tire. Tread should help wick the water also.

@xd675x runs them and loves them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• @xd675x runs them and loves them

I have been running these since I took off my stock Kenda's Day One <------

I drive my Sling like I stole it. I do not do bake shows but I have had some nice launches :D
    I have the base rims stock tire size is Front 205/50/17 Rear 265/35/18 I went with Front 225/45/17 and Rear 275/35/18 I run 28 lbs of tire pressure front and rear.
    Tire Rack or Direct Tire has been where I have purchased mine, last price was;
    225/45/17 = $99.92 +$8.58 S&H per tire
    275/35/18 = $166.40 +$9.87 S&H per tire

For the price they are very good, quiet tire, handles very well on dry and wet pavement. I have 26k miles on my front tires and still have plenty of tread left I am on my 3rd rear as they tend to last around one season or 6k miles estimated for my spirited driving :evil:

For the performance and price I honestly do not feel you will find a better tire and the tread pattern look great as well in my opinion.

From the hours of reviews I have done if you want to step up performance there are two tires that are at the top of the charts

Michelin Pilot Super Sports
    Continental Extreme Contact Sport

They are pretty close in performance from certain reviews the Continentals edge out the Michelin some say the opposite but what really makes the call is that that Continental's are less expensive.

I am installing a new set of SLR forged rims I am going with the Continental Extreme Contact Sport tires
    305/30/20 Rear $347.47 +$22.47 S&H per tire
    225/45/18 Front $163.40 +$8.52 S&H per tire

I will give my thoughts on the Continental tires after I have put them through the torcher test :evil::thumbsup:

• I was still figuring out how the widening would affect the wheel. I had been thinking they cut the wheel in the middle, but the offset will be affected no matter which side they attach the new material to. The set of Base wheels I bought are in a color my Wife likes and had a decent amount of tread left on them.I'll check out ForgeStar. Looks like the F14 is the closest match to the Base wheels. Is that what you picked?
    While I've got your attention, are there any significant advantages to the Semi-, Deep- or Super Deep-Concave wheels? The Semi-Concave would be limited to 18x10.5 for the correct offset, but the Deep and SuperDeep-Concave come in a variety of offset and width choices.
    Finally, based on your experience, do you feel a particular finish is closest to the color of the Base wheels?

Yes, I purchased the Forgestar F14. There is a grey option for this wheel, but it isn't a good/perfect match to the stock base wheels. Because this is primarily my track setup, I simple rattle canned the wheel to a close color and called it good. If I was doing it for my primary wheels, I would have the wheel company or local person powder coat it the matching stock base wheel color. The base wheels have 8 split spokes, whereas the F14 (thus the 14) has 7 split spokes. Most people don't really notice the difference...

There are no real performance advantages specific to each concave type. To go wide 11inch or larger, you need to choose deep concave or super deep concave. It is more about how wide you want to go with the wheel and how you want it to look. Mine is a deep concave.
    http://www.forgestar.com/wheel…ged-monoblock-series/f14/

Just to make one correction to what TravAZ said about widening the wheel, when I did just what he listed using the same size spacer on TSW wheels it was not necessary to use longer studs. I am glad that he has such vast knowledge of our slings and is always willing to share it. Besides, we couldn't stand him if he was perfect.

I apologize if the post was somewhat confusing. It depends what type of spacer/adapter you use. It would be nuts to use the below type of spacer and space your wheel out any considerable distance. You are taking away too many threads on the studs and are just opening up a can of potential issues. To run this type, you would want to press in new longer studs to counter the spacing distance.

The below option is fine and doesn't require new studs, as they are the adapter type.

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• That Forgestar F14 wheel looks looks pretty much like the Mustang wheel I'm now running to accommodate my Nitto 555 G2 315/35R17 tire, although since the F14 doesn't have the shiny rim edge the AM wheel has, it may be an even better match to the Base Slingshot wheel. Here's a pic of the 17 x 10.5" American Muscle 10th Anniversary Cobra Style Wheel (on right) next to a stock Slingshot wheel (on left).
    Thanks for tipping me off to the F14 since it maintains the proper offset w/o needing any adapters.

• I’m trying to love my new Nitto rear wheel... there’s just not enough grip for the HP when I needed it most. Sure it’s quite... but I ran it really hard up in Maggie and found myself fishtailing quite a bit (even some of my vids captured it). For local riding (non aggressive), it’s a great performer (even handled really well in the rain). But for the twists, I may just have to buy another Proxes 888 315/30/20 and mount it before riding. Not worth loosing it to save a few bucks.

*I get about 2.5K miles out of one (at $550 a tire)! ||

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• I’m trying to love my new Nitto rear wheel... there’s just not enough grip for the HP when I needed it most. Sure it’s quite... but I ran it really hard up in Maggie and found myself fishtailing quite a bit (even some of my vids captured it). For local riding (non aggressive), it’s a great performer (even handled really well in the rain). But for the twists, I may just have to buy another Proxes 888 315/30/20 and mount it before riding. Not worth loosing it to save a few bucks.

*I get about 2.5K miles out of one (at $550 a tire)! ||

Better order a couple now if you can find them. The R888 is disco and they are moving to the R888r. I bought 2 of the 305/35/18 a few months ago because I knew they were going away and wanted a spare track tire.

Don't trust the websites either. I ordered a R888 in 335/30/18 and they just shipped me an R888r even though it was supposed to be a R888. It was a mess....

Very awesome tires though! For dry/warm driving, it is hard to find anything better for the Slingshot. Only other nice tires, they actually have good sizing for the Slingshot. I should say did....

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• I ran the Conti’s until SSITS...I love them! I got the Ferrada FR3 rims from Rev Dynamics and they have Toyo Proxes T1R on them. So far so good!

• I absolutely loved my TR1 345/25/20 I had on my old sling. It was awesome. Could not put it on my new sling due to the size of the coils.

It is an awesome tire and I roads the crap out of it in the smokies and Eureka Springs.

I saw it resting peacefully at @KayTwo waiting for another chance at the twisties

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...

• I absolutely loved my TR1 345/25/20 I had on my old sling. It was awesome. Could not put it on my new sling due to the size of the coils.

It is an awesome tire and I roads the crap out of it in the smokies and Eureka Springs.

I saw it resting peacefully at @KayTwo waiting for another chance at the twisties

Not exactly, sir. If you'll recall, you wore that tire down so low you didn't feel comfortable letting anyone else drive it. You sent me the 20x12 rim it was on (for which I am very grateful!), and it now wears a 315 Nitto 555. I alternate it with the 315 Kenda that I have mounted on the 20x11 rim. Running the Kenda right now to even out the run time, but putting the Nitto on for the cross-country run to Sundre.