Tires...what are you running?

• Well the G-force Comp 2 is not available in 305 or 295.

I am thinking about going with the Nitto Motivio in a 295/30/20.

What do you all think of this as a rear tire.
    https://www.discounttire.com/f…width=295&cat=nitto-tires

You will get around 10,000 miles out of this even if you do not spend much time spinning the tire. I have a little over 10,000 miles and I am at the wear bar on the Comp 2 Summer. I got the same mileage out of the A/S. I did not like the traction either, I think the stock Kenda had better traction.

• I'm about to mount Nitto Motivos on the front with a 555 G2 on the rear. Once I've had experience with the 555 G2, I may consider a Motivo for the rear, depending on how well the 555 G2 lasts.
    While the Motivo is technically an asymmetric tire, I don't feel the tread pattern is that different form side to side to cause problems when used as a rear tire. I base this on having used a Sumitomo HTR Z III rear tire which I felt was similarly asymmetric, but didn't result in any strange handling characteristics. My only complaint about the HTR Z III was its relatively short tread life (around 7000 miles).
    The Motivo is rated at 60000 miles when used in rotation. this typically means a warranty or 30000 miles for non-rotated use.

• Hot air.....STOCK 17/18 Tires. Had a 25 minute spirited ride today. 72 degrees, road had cooled down due to slight rain. Once back home checked air pressure on front and rear tires.
    Front tires increased uniformly 2psi and rear tire increased 2.5 psi. Confirms recommended 2-4 psi under max to accommodate air pressure increase due to heat. This was at 75 degrees
    Track day may be a lot different.

• OK team need to confirm with the big boys!

A 20x12 rim can take a 295 thru 345. Correct?

@KayTwo and I are making sure

Almost all 295 and 305 tires are not recommended on a 12inch wide wheel. Even some 315 tire options are even not listed as "safe" for a 12inch wide wheel. You need to look specifically at the tire recommendations online to see what "works" and what doesn't "work".

EX: Toyo R888 - 305/35/18 - Rim Width Range 10-12
    EX: Toyo R888r - 315/30/18 - Rim Width Range 10.5 - 11.5

I am going to sound like a broken record.... On a 20X12 rim, your best option (IMO) is the Toyo T1R in 345/25/20 or 315/25/20. It is a directional tire, has good ratings, and is affordable compared most other options.

The Michelin options are not directional and in most cases cost more money. If you want a larger sidewall, and dont care about the tire being directional, you could look at some 315/35/20 options.

https://tirecrawler.com/shop/result_tire/

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• There seems to be a LOT more options for tires on the 20x11 wheel, no? Unfortunately, the Toyo T1R 345mm won't fit it as you need the 12".

:00000436:
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• I am going to sound like a broken record.... On a 20X12 rim, your best option (IMO) is the Toyo T1R in 345/25/20 or 315/25/20. It is a directional tire, has good ratings, and is affordable compared most other options.

That's a great recommendation, no doubt, but it doesn't really fit with the question. The reason for the question is that I have a Kenda 305 sitting in the garage, and I'm eventually going to have a 20x12 sitting in the garage, and I wanted to see if they would match up. I'll definitely keep the Toyo in mind for future ideas, though.

• The Kenda is a 305/30/20. I know of 0 tires that are that size and the manufacturer recommends that it is ok to place it on a 12 inch wide rim.

With that being said, several people have mounted this tire size on a 12inch rim in other vehicle communities. So, yes it will mount on a 12inch wide wheel, and no it isn't recommended by the manufacturer.

If I had a burner tire in that size, I would mount it and pay close attention to how much you are stretching it and what the installer has to say about it. I would then drive around carefully until I feel like it can be trusted during aggressive driving.

It is tough to go outside of the manufacturer recommendations when the Slingshot has 1 wheel in the back and it takes a lot of abuse in spirited driving.

• The Kenda is a 305/30/20. I know of 0 tires that are that size and the manufacturer recommends that it is ok to place it on a 12 inch wide rim

Copy, thanks.

It is tough to go outside of the manufacturer recommendations when the Slingshot has 1 wheel in the back and it takes a lot of abuse in spirited driving.

I'm sure I have no idea what you are talking about. :D:saint:

• There seems to be a LOT more options for tires on the 20x11 wheel, no? Unfortunately, the Toyo T1R 345mm won't fit it as you need the 12".

If you don't wan't to run a Toyo T1R 345 rear, then yes you would be better off going with a 11 inch wide wheel. In this way, you can safely run 305, 315, 325, and some 335.

Everyone also needs to keep in mind that when you go with a 12inch wide wheel, you need to be aware of wheel offset, shock type, and tire type/size. EXAMPLES: Toyo T1R 345/25/20 doesn't work with the new Polaris Bilstein shocks, but works with almost all other rear shock options. Other 335 tire options may also not work. At least one has proven to actually be wider than the 345/25/20 Toyo and then the wheel needed to be spaced 3-5mm.

• That's a great recommendation, no doubt, but it doesn't really fit with the question. The reason for the question is that I have a Kenda 305 sitting in the garage, and I'm eventually going to have a 20x12 sitting in the garage, and I wanted to see if they would match up. I'll definitely keep the Toyo in mind for future ideas, though.

To my knowledge, you can't mount a 305mm to a 20x12 with most mfg. Some will mount to a max of 11.5, but in most cases, go with an 20x11 rim. Depends on the tire. Nitto has a 305 drag tire that can mount on a 20x12, but preferred is 11". Toyo's tire you can't mount a 305 on a 12, you have to go with 11, but could jump into a 315mm on a 20x12, but they recommend an 20x11.5.. but it also can still be mounted on an 20x11. I'm assuming this is the Kinda 305 from Polaris and they mount it on a 20x11. I don't believe Kenda has this tire listed as it's made for Polaris, but all other manufacturers say no, won't fit on a 20x12... or I haven't been able to find one.

... sorry, you all beat me to it LOL.

:00000436:
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• PSI..talk..

Polaris chassis sticker recommendations are 28 front 32 rear for base and SL models.

THE TIRE READS;
    Kenda 17 tires front 51PSI cold
    Kenda rear 18 44 PSI cold

My rear Sumitomo reads 51PSI cold

OK chime in gurus
    I know this has been posted before but needs a Bump
    So how do you manage this for normal driving and for track days?
    What do you follow tire specs or sticker specs?
    Are these max contact pressures?
    Are these desired max PSI?
    After a spirited ride these tire pressures will be like riding on balloons if not monitored.

• The pressure number shown on a tire sidewall is the pressure at which it will safely support its maximum load rating (& therefore is NOT the pressure at which you want to run the tire).

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• The pressure number shown on a tire sidewall is the pressure at which it will safely support its maximum load rating (& therefore is NOT the pressure at which you want to run the tire) unless you fatasses are running at or near max load rating, in which case, you better pump that bitch up.

Fixed it for ya. :00008172: