Tires...what are you running?

• All, I'm replacing the stock tires and wheels. I haven't seen anyone post any info with anyone trying a drag race tire. The Nitto NT05R looks interesting, but wanted to see if anyone has tried this tire.

Also, I measured my stock wheels and it seems they have an offset of +42. I see a lot of folks talking about a +45. Not sure it makes a huge difference of 3mm more one way or another, but thoughts?

SaltyClownNY, I hope this helps you with the wheel issue

2015 Polaris Slingshot Wheel Specs

Base Model

F 17X7 +42 MM 5 on 4 ½ BC (114.3mm)

R 18X9.5 +45 MM

S/L Models

F 18X7.5 +42 MM

R 20X9 +45 MM

Lug nuts 12MM X 1.25 pitch

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• @SaltyClownNY if you never plan on driving in the rain or taking a long trip that could end you up in the rain. The Nitto NT05R has been praised by multiple Slingers for DRY, WARM weather driving. In the rain, light moisture on the road you will have a dangerously slippery ass end.

P.S. it's also any expensive quick wearing tire. ;)

• @SaltyClownNY if you never plan on driving in the rain or taking a long trip that could end you up in the rain. The Nitto NT05R has been praised by multiple Slingers for DRY, WARM weather driving. In the rain, light moisture on the road you will have a dangerously slippery ass end.

P.S. it's also any expensive quick wearing tire. ;)

Thanks @WOLF and @funinthesun. This is why I joined the group so people who know a bit more can help save me from making a dumb ass mistake LOL.

So if I'm ordering new wheels and tires, I was going to go with 20's all around and instead of a 225/45/18 on the front, I was going to go with a 225/30/20. I was thinking of using a 255 on the front, but the wheel guy said you would get more tracking with the tire on uneven roads. Thoughts?

So what I have for stock (apparently) is:
    F 18X7.5
    +42 MM offset, bolt pattern 5x114.3
    Tire 225/45/18
    R 20X9
    +45 MM offset, bolt pattern 5x114.3
    Tire 255/30/20

What I'm planning on going to is:
    F 20X8.5
    +42 MM offset, bolt pattern 5x114.3
    Tire 225/30/20
    R 20X11.5
    +45 MM offset, bolt pattern 5x114.3
    Tire 315/30/20 (would have to look into a 335)

Thoughts? Sound like it would all fit? I've seen people post about putting a 255 on the front. Anyone have any issues with steering or tracking on uneven pavement with a wider tire?

Keep in mind all of this is in preparation for more horsepower. I want to do it right and safety is top of the list.

:00000436:
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• I see some issues here. First and most important is if you ever plan on buying a trailer to tow your slingshot. Going to a one inch wider front wheel, gives it one inch wider trailer width needed to load it. Some open trailers may not have a problem with the added width (some do), but some enclosed trailers may not have the extra room to allow you to safely load the slingshot without pulling your hair and possibly damaging the wheel/tire or inside of the trailer.

Problem number two is that the 225/30/20 has a 25 inch overall height, while the stock 225/45/18 I believe was 25.9 inches. Going almost one inch shorter MAY cause an issue with the abs/traction control/stability control since you're altering tire heights from stock.

The rear is even worse since the stock rear tire height is 26.1" and the 315/30/20 is 27.5"

Using the tires you're planning on (f+r), I'd be surprised if you didn't have an issue as mentioned

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• When changing wheel/tire sizes, the safest thing to do to avoid problems is to try and keep any variation between original and new combo sizes as close to the original as possible. Keeping the variation within 2% is best, as you go higher, you are more likely to encounter problems with the safety systems. These are my estimates based on what other folks have posted about their wheel/tire combos.
    Discount Tire has a Tire Size Calculator to let you see the difference in sizes and impact on the speedometer - Discount Tire
    This site will let you visulaize the impact of changes including wheel offset - Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• I see some issues here. First and most important is if you ever plan on buying a trailer to tow your slingshot. Going to a one inch wider front wheel, gives it one inch wider trailer width needed to load it. Some open trailers may not have a problem with the added width (some do), but some enclosed trailers may not have the extra room to allow you to safely load the slingshot without pulling your hair and possibly damaging the wheel/tire or inside of the trailer.
    Problem number two is that the 225/30/20 has a 25 inch overall height, while the stock 225/45/18 I believe was 25.9 inches. Going almost one inch shorter MAY cause an issue with the abs/traction control/stability control since you're altering tire heights from stock.

The rear is even worse since the stock rear tire height is 26.1" and the 315/30/20 is 27.5"

Using the tires you're planning on (f+r), I'd be surprised if you didn't have an issue as mentioned

Awesome @funinthesun. I'll check out the site again @BKL, but I didn't have luck the first time I went there.

All good info. What I was attempting to do was exactly what @BKL was suggesting and keep them the same size/ratio. Just so I can make sure my math is correct...

Stock Tires
    F - 225/45/18 ... by my math, ((225mm x .45) x 2) + 457.2mm(18in) = 25.972 inches high
    R - 255/30/20... should be ((255mmx.30) x 2) + 508mm(20in) = 26.0236 inches high
    So just about the same hight at 26 inches. Is this math correct? Should be the tire width x aspect ratio % multiplied by 2 + the wheel hight. I'm only going off of what I've read, so may be missing something in there but want to learn the correct way if I'm off.

So my thought was to keep the same hight on both front and rear. The issue is tire availability from what I've seen and getting the correct size.

A 315/35/20 should = 28.681 inches tall if my above math is correct (this is going with a Nitto NT555 G2 as it doesn't come in a 315/30/20)
    So in order to avoid a trailer issue, I would stick with the 225 tire, but in order to get the 28.5 tire hight, I would need a 225/50/20 tire... no?

Now I know a larger tire will throw off the odometer, but do you think it will also impact the abs/traction control/stability control system if you stick with like sizes front and back? Problem I see is the 225/50 will increase the flex of the sidewall and possibly not hold a turn as well... maybe

Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• The safest way to get the specs for a tire is to find the tire manufacturer's website and used those specs, Second choice is to use the specs from a tire sales website. Generally speaking, all tires of a given diameter, width and profile should have the same specs, but occasionally some dimensions, especially the actual tire contact patch, may vary. I've used the Discount Tire Tire Size Calculator because I usually order my tires from them. The Will They Fit site provides very useful visualizations once you input the proper specs.
    There is an old tire/wheel sizing technique known as Plus One. Here's a link to Tire Rack's explanation - techpage.jsp?techid=25 and here's a link to Discount Tire's explanation - Discount Tire. The important thing is to try and maintain the overall tire diameter as closely as possible.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Air suspension of my own design. @lrobbi is running the system now too. It's approximately half the cost of the hydraulic system and you lose none of your storage space. The seats are black/gray suede Corbeau CR1s. Trying to keep up with you "Wolf Pack" people I keep hearing about. :thumbsup:

@WraithSS I've been looking for an air shock system that allows for lowering just like yours. What did you end up going with? I don't want the hydraulic system and my storage bins are filled with speakers now, so don't have the room. Any suggestions? Thanks!

• This may help with your wider front wheel question @SaltyClownNY. This is what I am running up front with no rubbing issues and still fits in an enclosed trailer:
    Front= 20x9 +35mm 275/30/20

Rear= 22x11 +45mm 315/25/22

No tracking issues to speak of and no nanny lights.

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• @WraithSS I've been looking for an air shock system that allows for lowering just like yours. What did you end up going with? I don't want the hydraulic system and my storage bins are filled with speakers now, so don't have the room. Any suggestions? Thanks!

There are currently only two kits that use the brackets and tank I designed to fit all the equipment (tank, compressor, valves, etc..)under the rear fin. The one I'm running and the one we installed in @lrobbi Shot. However, Mitch over at Revdynamics has a kit that puts the tank under the Slingshot. He makes a great product and just an all around nice guy. Other than that I think those are the only good options so far to save the storage bins.

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• There are currently only two kits that use the brackets and tank I designed to fit all the equipment (tank, compressor, valves, etc..)under the rear fin. The one I'm running and the one we installed in @lrobbi Shot. However, Mitch over at Revdynamics has a kit that puts the tank under the Slingshot. He makes a great product and just an all around nice guy. Other than that I think those are the only good options so far to save the storage bins.

what brand shocks did you go with and how much of a lift do they offer?

• Hello @SaltyClownNY

I have a base model and the

stock size tires are
    Front 205/50/17 I am using 222/45/17 28psi
    Rear 265/35/18 275/35/18 28psi

For tires I am using Hankook Ventus12 evo2 and the fronts I have a little over 20k and should last me the rest of the summer easily. Even wear and performance has been tested at Deal's Gap and the Rattler in North Carolina and I drive very fast and hard and they performed well. The Rear lasts me about a season 6-8k miles and I don't do smoke shows but I do burn out here and there. I have been very happy with them as well as the tread pattern looks good being asymmetrical. I had no issues at all in the rain still driving fairly aggressive driving 80mph in a steady downpour and never hydroplaned. I was in a severe downpour and hit standing water of 3-4 inches and that caused me to hydroplane on the highway at around 60mph which I do not believe any tire would have reacted any better. Driving skill can compensate for a crappy tire. I find letting off the gas and controlling the hydroplane even tapping the brake lightly is always best over hitting the brakes hard and standing on them.

From doing tire reviews from websites and videos I have been looking at

Michelin Pilot Super Soft (about 2 years available)
    Continental Extreme Contact Sport (newest version upgrade from DSW series, it seems to be edging out the Michelin Pilot Super Soft in tests)

Here is a chart from TireRack that might help, this is under the Max Performance for what is typically best for everyone. If you are not going to drive in any rain ever you can go with a higher performance dry tire than these in the Extreme Performance Category.

surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP

I am happy with the Hankook Ventus12 evo2's and if you look at the chart they show a good standing in the list and the price is cheaper than the other 2 I listed.
    I am leaning toward trying the Continental Extreme Contact Sport tires based on all the reviews I have read and watched. Since they are new the reviews are not as plentiful as the Michelin Pilot Super Soft.
    The Continental has a higher tread-wear rating than Michelin as well as the Hankook's

For suspension I have the Alpha/JRI 2 Way adjustables and the front has been lowered about 1/4"-3/4" I can not remember the exact at the moment it was changed 2 times.

• I think I said this somewhere on here previously, but last December I ordered larger front and rear wheels and tires for my base 2015 that I bought in November of 2014. As a retired sales guy I was greatly impressed by the knowledge and courtesy of Jason Tung of
    http://www.getyourwheels.com
    He steered me to a better product at a better price, and called back several times to make sure everything was correct before confirming the order. He was particularly knowledgeable about the quirks and nannies associated with the sling. My younger, sharper riding buddies (The Rock, JDin, etc.) will have to confirm how good my sling looks since my flip phone and my lack of computer smarts can't do it for me.
    Bottom line is, Jason treated me every bit as good as the gang at Slingmods has over the years, and if I recall correctly I made one of the first ten orders from them back when Keith answered the phone.

• I think I said this somewhere on here previously, but last December I ordered larger front and rear wheels and tires for my base 2015 that I bought in November of 2014. As a retired sales guy I was greatly impressed by the knowledge and courtesy of Jason Tung of
    http://www.getyourwheels.com
    He steered me to a better product at a better price, and called back several times to make sure everything was correct before confirming the order. He was particularly knowledgeable about the quirks and nannies associated with the sling. My younger, sharper riding buddies (The Rock, JDin, etc.) will have to confirm how good my sling looks since my flip phone and my lack of computer smarts can't do it for me.
    Bottom line is, Jason treated me every bit as good as the gang at Slingmods has over the years, and if I recall correctly I made one of the first ten orders from them back when Keith answered the phone.

<snort>... you said flip phone.... LOL <X

I'll take a look! Thank you.

• @SlingRider - How is the 345mm tire on the back? Any issues? Do you have stock shocks? I'd rally like to go with as wide as I can go, but worried after spending all that it won't fit. Did you go with a 20x12 rim with +45 offset?
    Thanks!