Tires...what are you running?

• The amount of lube used to install a tire does not effect the traction. The mold release and the compounds, as discussed above, are the initial traction factors. As discussed a "break in" period is required to achieve max traction.
    This is a real interesting and informative thread as I am about to buy tires myself. I am looking at putting on tires that have a taller and more flexible sidewalls. I am looking for comfort more than performance. At 70 years of age my hard driving days are behind me.

LC

That's the reason I went with the 35 series tire over the 285/30. I wanted just a little more softness especially since I don't drive it hard all the time. Soft ride and better traction were the goals. So far I am happy for the price.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• That's the reason I went with the 35 series tire over the 285/30. I wanted just a little more softness especially since I don't drive it hard all the time. Soft ride and better traction were the goals. So far I am happy for the price.

I went with 35's as well... mainly due to cost (which was a significant ~> about $250).

Sure, I like the 30's better (and do plan on getting another set of smaller wheels with those for track days), but everywhere else... 35's just make economical sense for me.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• I just purchased a new set of aftermarket rims and they are now in shipping. They are 20x9 front and 20x10.5 rear. I am torn between wrapping them in Nitto 555's or Toyo proxy's.
    What are your thoughts?

I wanted the widest tire possible for the rear so I was thinking of 305/30r20. I have checked the manufactures sites and both will fit a 10.5 rim. However after reading this thread and tire safety recommendations I am wondering if the 305's would be pushing it. And or will this throw off any codes? Running 255/30 r 20s on the fronts. What are your thoughts on this also?

Thanks

Always be yourself unless you can be Batman.
    Then be Batman!

• I had a 20x9 rim on the back of my stock system. I moved it to the front and found a second matching set. Put on two Nitto NT555 G2 255/35ZR-20 on the front which gives you an extra inch in OD than the stock. I'll probably get a wider tire at some point as I like the look of them, but to ensure traction (or as much as you can with a single wheel), I felt that dropping down a few size wheel would help and got a 18x10 wheel and mounted a Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R 28 x 12.00-18 wheel to it. This wheel is 28 OD which is keeping with the 1inch larger on the back just like the stock.

:00000436:
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

Edited once, last by SaltyClownNY ().

• I just purchased a new set of aftermarket rims and they are now in shipping. They are 20x9 front and 20x10.5 rear. I am torn between wrapping them in Nitto 555's or Toyo proxy's.
    What are your thoughts?

I wanted the widest tire possible for the rear so I was thinking of 305/30r20. I have checked the manufactures sites and both will fit a 10.5 rim. However after reading this thread and tire safety recommendations I am wondering if the 305's would be pushing it. And or will this throw off any codes? Running 255/30 r 20s on the fronts. What are your thoughts on this also?

Thanks

I also have a 20x10.5 rim on the rear and run a 315 with no issues [Proxes R888 (315/30/20)] ~> While I do LOVE this tire, I want to try something different since they have discontinued this particular size (plus they are pretty expensive for less than 3K miles use). Going to give the 315/35/20 Nitto 555 a whirl as I know many others who have them (and they all love the grip and smoothness of the ride).

We shall see... the Proxes R888 is one tough tire to be performance wise ~> I'll let you know how I like them, after the break-in. :thumbup:

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• @Blaze I would go with the Nitto 555 G2. It is probably a pretty close wash between the Toyo T1R and the Nitto G2 and the Nitto is around $100 cheaper for a rear. $245 is a pretty good deal.

Ideally, you would want to run the below sizes....

Fronts - 255/35/20
    Rear - 315/35/20 (yes it fits a 10.5 inch wide rim per Nitto's recommendations)

Front to rear rolling diameter difference is 21mm, which is under 8mm different than what stock is.

3 tires for under $550 is a pretty good deal. :)

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• Thanks for the info TravAZ. I prefer the 35 aspect ratio over the 30 but was worried about increasing the overall diameter and throwing off codes. I will use your recommendations on tires an sizes. One more thing. I have the 2016.5 base SS. The ECU is the same as the SL or SLR right. Asking because I am going from 17"s front and 18" rear.

Always be yourself unless you can be Batman.
    Then be Batman!

• I just installed the Nexen 7000 Plus that I ordered Dec. 2, 2017 from Simple Tire $123.92 I still cannot find anyone that has the new General G-Max NR if I do find it, I will be ordering the 275-35-20

Please keep us updated, I had been eyeing that tire as well as, it has a lot of good reviews everywhere.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• @Blaze The programming in the ECM from the Base model to the SL is different when it relates to wheel/tire sizing. Have a dealership flash you to the SL option. I believe there is only 2 options to pick (not sure they programmed one in for the newer rear 305 setup; doubt it.).

I also, would pick up an SL shock mount. It is around 1/2 shorter than the base one. Or, just lower your adjustable shock if you have one to get ride height corrected from the bigger wheels.

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• got my tires mounted today. My rear rim was turning a yellow color and I could not clean it off. I thought it might be from the exhaust. Well, after crying and b**ching about it, my wife came out and said it looked like soap scum,..which it did! :S But it would not come off. She said to try a magic eraser. At that point I was willing to try anything. Holly cow, that worked great. Rims are super bright and clean :thumbsup: