Tires...what are you running?

• is that a 305 ? where did you get it and how much ?

Sorry so late, been traveling and very busy. This one is a 315/35/20. I have used BFGs and Nittos on my previous SS and I think the BFG was better for a straight line but I liked the Nitto for corners. Those were smaller so I’m starting over with SS. I don’t think I will get the traction off the line that I want with the Nitto since I can spin it easily. Will see what happens when I get the SC in. :thumbsup:

• Maybe it has been mentioned before about the web site Simpletire.com. but this time it's my turn. Looking for tires for my truck 275/60/20 and they had what i wanted 30$ cheaper. Had my dealer price match but they will ship to your choice of installer or home. 2c

• I need a better tire in the rear because my nitto 555 just spins to much on hard acceleration making me go know were. What is a good tire for a super charger kind of power so I can accelerate in a straight line better. The nitto 555 is not bad when its 90 out here in Indiana, but much of the year I ride in 50-70 degrees and it spins. The tires corner excellent all the time.

• @supermoto292 I just purchased the G-force Comp 2 based on wet and dry ratings. Many folks have praised its grip.

With supercharger you might want to search some of @Slingrazor posts on wheels/tires. He went with smaller rim to allow for more sidewall which in turn gvies him much better grip.

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...

• I’m giving the Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/35ZR20 a try tomorrow night, been running the NITTO and liked how it handled in twistys along with traction but alas, 6 months and down to wear bars and it’s getting slippery, not fun spinning in 3rd....

Why buy one when you can have two at twice the price..... :evil:

• I need a better tire in the rear because my nitto 555 just spins to much on hard acceleration making me go know were. What is a good tire for a super charger kind of power so I can accelerate in a straight line better. The nitto 555 is not bad when its 90 out here in Indiana, but much of the year I ride in 50-70 degrees and it spins. The tires corner excellent all the time.

The 555 is a pretty dang good tire. You probably won't see big improvements until you mess with sizing. For that, you really need to buy an 11-12 wide rear wheel to run a 305 - 345 tire.

Even with a Toyo 345, you will spin in 2-3 gears when running decent boost. It is better, but far from a cure.

You could go to an R compound tire like my track setup and get really good dry/warm grip. But then you have to drive incredibly careful in cold weather and in wet conditions.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is traction on a boosted Slingshot is never great while running street tires. Enjoy the power and smoke show!

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• Ok you gurus for this coming track day Im going try out the Achilles 245/40ZR/18 for rear ($81.97) and brand new stock 17 kendas upfront. I know " KENDAS " but they are virgins and have never been mounted ( i mean installed) using stock base wheels which are stronger than SL tires for track ( no offense i have them for daily driving). Let you guys know after Dec 4.

Running a 295 45 18 on a base model 18 x 9.5 wheel at 20 to 25 psi. The added sidewall height allows me to run lower pressure which allows the sidewall to flex a little to get grip.
    With the light weight of the sling in the rear, the lower pressure with flex does not hurt in the turns. I have found the Little bit of flex helps the tire stay flatter in the turns and not roll up on the edge like the 305 30 20 I ran.

For truely Heroic levels of grip, you can run a Mickey Thompson ET Street-R 325/35R18. This is a nice pliable glass belted drag tire -- not a heavy less pliable steel belted drag tire. There are variances in how "wide" tires run with respect to the tread width numbers -- and this tire is the widest tire you can run without rubbing the swingarm or shock using the stock +45mm offset. The nibs just graze the swingarm. Even in this size, the tire+rim weight is 2 lbs less than the stock base model Kenda tire+rim. I run mine at 15 PSI all the time. This gives a big fat footprint so the tire stays planted -- and I'm showing very little wear. I snapped a pic at 250+ miles, and the center seam and nibs were still showing. The tire's lower profile allows it to handle the twistys decently even at this low PSI. I find it very hard to break this tire loose in 2nd gear with a supercharger. I just get a nice satisfying head snapping acceleration...

Rumor has it that Mickey Thompson came out with this size specifically for the Dodge Demon. At the strip, this wrinkle-wall tire really struts it's stuff. Some Mustang guys run their MT ET Street-R's at 17 PSI all the time -- street or strip.

Just my 2 cents...

• Just as a quick addendum, on base models you can run up to an 8% tire diameter difference front/rear. At 9%+, you'll get a warning light on the dash. The SL's can go up to an 11% tire diameter difference front/rear before the warning light goes off. You can use the MT ET-Street-R 325/35R18 on a base model with stock sized front wheels -- no warning light.

• For truely Heroic levels of grip, you can run a Mickey Thompson ET Street-R 325/35R18. This is a nice pliable glass belted drag tire -- not a heavy less pliable steel belted drag tire. There are variances in how "wide" tires run with respect to the tread width numbers -- and this tire is the widest tire you can run without rubbing the swingarm or shock using the stock +45mm offset. The nibs just graze the swingarm. Even in this size, the tire+rim weight is 2 lbs less than the stock base model Kenda tire+rim. I run mine at 15 PSI all the time. This gives a big fat footprint so the tire stays planted -- and I'm showing very little wear. I snapped a pic at 250+ miles, and the center seam and nibs were still showing. The tire's lower profile allows it to handle the twistys decently even at this low PSI. I find it very hard to break this tire loose in 2nd gear with a supercharger. I just get a nice satisfying head snapping acceleration...
    Rumor has it that Mickey Thompson came out with this size specifically for the Dodge Demon. At the strip, this wrinkle-wall tire really struts it's stuff. Some Mustang guys run their MT ET Street-R's at 17 PSI all the time -- street or strip.

Just my 2 cents...

I like the set up. Seems to give you a sidewall simular to the 295 45 18 with better width.
    285 35 18 on the left and 305 30 20 on the right.

• @gearhead Don't get caught in the rain buddy! ha

I want to second your observation on tire size. As my Toyo 345/25/20 fits just fine and a Toyo R888r 335/30/18 that was shipped to me wrong did not look like it was going to fit. My 305/35/18 R888 installed for track days is only slightly less wide than my 345 Toyo.

Try to get exact width measurements of each tire when you go over 305 in size.

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• Wonder if this applies as well to the SS picked this info up from the net ( author unknown)

A the taller the wheel (15" 17" 19") the more force it takes to turn/spin it. this means if your low power, you dont want 18" wheels to try to spin. similar with width, more weight = heavier = harder to spin. also, your "final gear" is the tire, a smaller tire will increase your acceleration and lower your top speed. a taller will slow your acceleration a little and add to your top speed. Think of how far the tire's surface covers PER axle revolution.

Tire size matters in width and sidewall. Width 'in general' will have more grip as you go wider of similar model/brand. if you change the performance rating of the tire to a higher level, then the same width would have more grip than the lower rated tire. Sidewall you dont want a monster/bouncy sidewall, but it depends on the wheel size a bit too. The bigger diameter wheels should have smaller sidewalls so the overall height of the wheel/tire combo isn't changed too much. Smaller sidewalls will be stiffer and give better and more consistant feedback to the driver as well. Too small of a sidewall offers little protection for your wheels from damage on a course that might have a bump/edge of pavement/rumble strip/ etc

in the end, its about matching your cars power to tire/grip.

• I think - and could be wrong that in the case of the SS we are working with a specific circumference as much as possible but changing the rim size, therefore mostly we are effecting sidewall height. In our case I think sidewall height will help in handling as long as we stay within the limits.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!