horn connecter

• that probably is my review! If you need shorter bolts, you'll need M6 x 1.0 x 12m hex flange bolts. I couldn't find it locally and ordered them from albanycountyfasteners.com. Shipping costs more than the bolts!
    I'm not the handiest of people but the videos do make it seem easier or some of the items are not packaged as well as they should.For example, the optima battery kit, I had to grind open the battery terminals to fit onto the battery. In retrospect, it would have been easier to go to the store and buy bigger terminals. What was a 45 minute install turned into 2-3 hours.

It's a labor of love for sure.

that probably is my review! If you need shorter bolts, you'll need M6 x 1.0 x 12m hex flange bolts. I couldn't find it locally and ordered them from albanycountyfasteners.com. Shipping costs more than the bolts!
    I'm not the handiest of people but the videos do make it seem easier or some of the items are not packaged as well as they should.For example, the optima battery kit, I had to grind open the battery terminals to fit onto the battery. In retrospect, it would have been easier to go to the store and buy bigger terminals. What was a 45 minute install turned into 2-3 hours.

It's a labor of love for sure.

So the problem you had with the stock bolts was they were so long upon removal/reinstallation they were rubbing against/damaging the paint on the bar in front of them?

Adding the brackets contributed to this (i.e., the bracket depth)?

I removed the horn before work this morning and thanks, that was the plug. Like I said I bypassed that one because it did not look like the plug in the video. I'm OCD so if something doesn't match exactly then it can't be right :)

• It’s the plug that’s attached to the horn. I have a 17 and had the Same problem until it dawned on me. I found it easier to remove the old horn to get the cable off.
    Also, I found the bolts were too long to slide back in between the SS frame / and the horn assembly. I ended up ordering shorter bolts.

Yep. Just like every other mod, it never goes easy. I too found it impossible to get the bolts back on with the horn frame attached. Ahh the things those videos leave out...

I'll be getting the bolts you recommended, thanks much

• @Locapacow

That was a nasty install. Before I even got the horns in, I plugged them in to make sure they worked. Yep.

Then as you know, it was impossible to get those stock bolts back in. I contorted my body every which way, a losing prospect. You just can't hold the horn bracket up with one hand, leaning over the tire, and thread the bolt on around the bar with the other hand.

I tried for an hour this morning and an hour tonight. Figured I'd just give up and go ahead and order those shorter bolts.

Closed the hood, and doh! As I looked through the nose, instantly the entire thing was much, much easier. Reaching through the nose, I could see where and was able to line the holes up and get the stock bolts back in fairly easily. Might have been nice if the video included that tidbit.

But just my rotten luck. I finished, check all the connections, all looked good. Turned the sling to accessory, and NO HORN. The fuse is fine. I don't know what happened.

I frigging give up!!!

• No horn = dead battery. WTH?

I just had a new receiver, amps, subwoofer, speakers, and DVR cameras put in a week ago. I know they are powered to "always on."

Could that stuff be drawing power even when off, enough to drain the battery in a week???

(yes I have asked this of the installer, just waiting to hear back)

• First thing I would do is get a charger on the battery and make sure it is fully charged.

With all that frustration, you may have forgotten to hook up the horns.

You did run a positive and a ground wire on the horns? Could be a faulty connection.

As for the code, could be a sync issue from the push start that will clear.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• The horns are fine. The battery was dead before I even hooked them up. I just had a receiver, amps, sub, and cameras installed. They are wired always on. I suspect they are drawing even when off. I’ve got a call in to the installer.

After I jump started it I let it run for a while then drove it for 20 minutes. I’ll probaby put my battery tender on it before I go to work. I have a service appointment on Tuesday for a steering wheel install, maybe they can figure out the check engine code.

My husband is right, the more you change the more problems you create.