Did the first oil change since installing my Fumoto oil plug Quik-valve. EASY!!!

• There is EPA regulations on recycling oil but I think it is up to the states on how it is implemented. Here in Minnesota the rules are; "All places that sell motor oil in Minnesota must post a listing of used oil collection site locations or a toll-free phone number with that information."

This has led to almost all places that sell motor oil here in Minnesota also recycles your oil. Used oil is a commodity and has value, on the most part in small amounts there is no payment but no one charges you to dispose it. Even Walmart stores here take used oil.

• FYI, Walmart does take used oil. I drop mine off there all the time. However, it has to be a WM with a TLE and, in AR, they make you put your name, town, and amount of oil in a book they have to give to the state. You could put whatever info you want since no one checks it.

• Different states implement rules and requirements in different ways, as its considered a 'waste' which the state regulates.

TN and FL both require the auto parts stores to have recycling ability, but also my local county convenience center does too. Probably enforced over a minimum level of oil sales or classification of business requires the recycling. They get pumped out by a bulk truck when full. Like mentioned earlier, Walmarts with tire/lube centers also recycle.

The trouble with bucket seats is not everyone has the same size 'bucket'.

• Well, I thought getting an adapter at the hardware store would be easy....nobody carries metric pipe fittings....so I’m going to get stuck with the stupid shipping charge...

But I’m going to order a valve for my van that has been cross threaded. By a so called mechanic....probably used a fast impact gun....due to laziness ....

• valve, adapter and plastic clip - all came packaged together. Now I just have to wait until its time to change the oil again so I can install it.

As a side note I was talking to a friend who had one of these installed on his Triumph Tr4-A. His collector buddy advised him to remove it. He said that because it made the oil drain opening smaller it prevented all of the oil from draining from the pan. Just curious if anyone here thinks that this is really something to worry about?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• valve, adapter and plastic clip - all came packaged together...
    As a side note I was talking to a friend who had one of these installed on his Triumph Tr4-A. His collector buddy advised him to remove it. He said that because it made the oil drain opening smaller it prevented all of the oil from draining from the pan. Just curious if anyone here thinks that this is really something to worry about?...

I initially wondered about that for two reasons -
    1) The valve has to fit in the drain hole so you're automatically limited by the size of the smaller hole thru the valve. This primarily serves to reduce the flow rate as opposed to how much oil is drained out.
    2) This is where some folks might be having some concern in that the increased height above the bottom of the oil pan for the hole thru the valve will mean that a little more oil is left in the pan. In practical terms, this probably means a layer of oil equivalent to a few ounces more remains in the pan after the oil drains as low as the height of the valve hole will allow. I doubt it would be more than 3 oz or so and since we're adding 160 oz of fresh oil, I doubt it's enough old oil to make a significant difference.* The extra oil left in the pan might allow a little more debris to build up, but hopefully the warm-up period for the oil before being drained will have moved most particles into suspension in the oil and will be removed during the drain [process.
    If Someone is really concerned about the old oil or debris not getting removed, just remove the valve every 4th or 5th oil change. This means they'll need some replacement washers for the older F series valves, but the newer SX valves don't use washers.
    Personally, I feel the convenience outweighs any potential liabilities.
    * Something to keep in mind is that we are probably all using Full Synthetic oil in our Slingshots and many of the new synthetics are boasting they're good for much longer than the 5000 mile (or less) oil change intervals most of us follow.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• you are correct that the SX valves do not use the washer, but the adapter for the SX valve does have the washer.

• I'm just gonna say. for the 1 to 4 times a year you need to remove one plug, and given the simplicity of said removal, this does not seem necessary to me. Anyone changing the oil monthly would/could benefit. I'd rather drain it to the bottom of the pan...

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I'm just gonna say. for the 1 to 4 times a year you need to remove one plug, and given the simplicity of said removal, this does not seem necessary to me. Anyone changing the oil monthly would/could benefit. I'd rather drain it to the bottom of the pan...

Hey, this is America where convenience and instant gratification tops all! I find the valve very convenient and my mechanic thought it was pretty cool, too.

for me I did it for more than just the convenience of not having to remove the drain plug. The things that made me decide to go with the valve are, first, the hose nipple - I like that I can put a hose on it and direct the oil into a container - this seems like there will be less mess. second I like the control the valve gives - when I normally remove the drain plug the oil gushes out usually getting on my hand and splashing on the frame tube that is just across from the drain plug - first time I changed the oil oil that later dripped from the frame caused me to worry that the plug was leaking. The third reason why I decided to get the fumoto is the knowledge that once it is installed I should never have to deal with the removing and replacing of the drain plug again - risking the chance of stripping the threads or some how damaging them - I have never in 64 years stripped or damaged the threads doing an oil change, but I have heard of it happening enough that knowing that with the valve installed it becomes a non issue just seemed like a good idea.

• Only 5000 more miles and I get to try mine out.

I installed mine without changing the oil (I had just recently changed it before I got the fumoto.) I just did a "quick swap". I pulled the old oil drain plug with one hand and quickly installed the fumoto with the other. I did lose a little oil, but it was so little that I didn't even have to add more after the swap.

I also got some oil on my hands and on the outside of the fumoto, but that was easy and quick to clean up.

• Hey Rick - Normally I like to do mods the second I have the new item in hand, but with this I can wait until the oil change. :)

• I installed mine without changing the oil (I had just recently changed it before I got the fumoto.) I just did a "quick swap". I pulled the old oil drain plug with one hand and quickly installed the fumoto with the other. I did lose a little oil, but it was so little that I didn't even have to add more after the swap.
    I also got some oil on my hands and on the outside of the fumoto, but that was easy and quick to clean up.

The best part for me is my oil drain pan scoots under the sling without me having to use a jack. Scoot it under turn open the drain lever and I can go change the filter while the oils draining.