They walk among us

• They know who they are. They are the first to help out in emergencies, and the last to take credit for their actions. They see a natural disaster coming and go against the tide - when others get out of harms way, they jump in to help those in need and who can't help themselves. They may have jobs in the public service industry, but they do what they do for the satisfaction of making a difference. Getting a paycheck for this is not why they do it. Others thank them for the dedication and putting others needs before their own, and refuse to accept the hero name tag. This 800 year flood in the Houston area is a prime example of that. Hours and hours of videos show "normal people" assisting in the evacuation of family, friends and strangers who are impacted by these floods. Nobody needed to ask them to do it. They saw a need to help those less fortunate and they helped out.

Danna is one of them who stayed throughout this disaster to help calm people in the hospital who are the most frail and unable to help themselves. I'm sure she's worked through many breaks and meal times to put smiles on her patients faces and to assure them that they're safe and will be taken care of if this storm requires them to be evacuated. She's already denied being labeled a hero, so I'm not going to attach that honor to her, but we all know about her dedication to others and are proud to be able to say they've met her and can call her their friend.

There are others who blend in seamlessly into background when these disasters are over, but while it's here let's take the time to thank them for doing what they do to keep us all safe. We may be hundreds of miles from the event today, but someday an event like this will hit our lives. That's when we'll all see first hand what they do. I'd like to thank them all publicly today, since I may not have that chance when something like this hits home. You know who you are and thank you from the bottom of my heart for all you do.

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• KayTwo - Absolutely. There are others on the forum who and they weren't intentionally left out. I agree that those who made a career out of helping others are a rare breed and too often are taken for granted. Then when they "do their jobs", some people take them for granted. In times like this, they separate themselves from those who perform for the cameras. They are the true heroes (plus all the uniformed troops ranging from National Guards to Special Ops who keep us safe)

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• I've tried to stay in contact with Danna but starting to get really worried now as the National Weather Service just referenced a location two blocks from her!
    I feel totally helpless but if I have to go South to help after this backs out, I'll be on my way!

@Bill Martin .. worried a bit about you and others in Louisiana as well. If you all in the "Red Zone" could post up your conditions occasionally and what we could do to help in the aftermath, this Community will support you!

• @Painter thank you so much for asking. I am still fat and sassy soaking up @Spudinator s hospitality. In contact with folks at home and lot of flooding but nothing coonass land ain't used to. My bride has been in contact with Dana this morning and all is good under current conditions We tried to get her to come to Dallas but bless her heart she AIN'T leavin her patients !!!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Thanks @KayTwo and others,... but after 20 years, things creep up and bite you in the butt,...hard. It happens to all of us so don't think it won't happen to you. You can't unsee or forget some things,... it will eat you alive. Please get the help, don't wait. PTSD in fire, EMS and police work is real. I was the tough guy and nothing will bother me. WRONG!!! I'm damaged goods now. I live in the office and at home. I don't even like to get gas because someone might say hi. Think what you want, say what you want, but this place is my window looking out. I stopped commenting because I'm judged. It scares the sh** out of me. I just read and laugh now. Anyways, you all know now and this thread is not about me. It's about the people who do and see things that are truly unreal. Thanks all and stay safe

PS. took me an hour to hit submit! no comments please

• Thanks @KayTwo and others,... but after 20 years, things creep up and bite you in the butt,...hard. It happens to all of us so don't think it won't happen to you. You can't unsee or forget some things,... it will eat you alive. Please get the help, don't wait. PTSD in fire, EMS and police work is real. I was the tough guy and nothing will bother me. WRONG!!! I'm damaged goods now. I live in the office and at home. I don't even like to get gas because someone might say hi. Think what you want, say what you want, but this place is my window looking out. I stopped commenting because I'm judged. It scares the sh** out of me. I just read and laugh now. Anyways, you all know now and this thread is not about me. It's about the people who do and see things that are truly unreal. Thanks all and stay safe
    PS. took me an hour to hit submit! no comments please

The only judging going on around here is commenting on your awesome sling and more importantly your friendship.
    We all love ya man!!!!

• Thanks for the tag on this. To be honest it's been great to read.

Having a busy summer with countless unnecessary deaths. It's why i haven't been online much of late. Here's to summer finishing with a little less tragedy.

For me..... my heart's going out to those in Texas. Take care down there everyone