Removable Winch for Enclosed Slingshot Trailer

• Well I figure I am living on borrowed time and at some point I am goin to be broken down and need to get my Sling into the trailer without being able to drive it in.
    I have always wanted to add a winch but was afraid I would clobber it every time I pulled into the trailer. So with a little inspiration from @Slingrazor I devised my plan for a removable winch.

I had an old winch mount plate from a UTV. The bar that went into the receiver was horizontal so I cut it off and welded it vertically to the bottom of the plate. I had to weld another small section of square tube to keep it level when it was in place. Got a great deal on a 2500lb ATV winch at Harbor freight $47. Here it is painted and put together.

I made the receiver out of a "12 receiver and some steel angles I had in my junk pile - Lost of good stuff in that pile. Installed it in the corner of the center frame rail and the cross rail.

Cut the square hole in the floor and painted the exposed wood. Made a rubber pad to put under the winch so it doesn't scratch the floor. When the winch is not installed a standard 2" Receiver plug fills the hole just fine.

I just need to get a big battery. Going to add an electric tongue jack, an old inverter I found and some USB ports.
    I am also making a rig to hook up to the Sling so I don't damage the nose I am winching it in.

More to come - soon I hope

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• @MACAWS
    You are making two of these.... correct? :thumbsup: I know a guy.... who knows a guy who is --- "ME"

I was thinking of you the entire time I was building it. If you have someone local who can weld it will only take a few hours to knock one out. I will show when I se you. Still have to power it up and test it.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I was thinking of you the entire time I was building it. If you have someone local who can weld it will only take a few hours to knock one out. I will show when I se you. Still have to power it up and test it.

Awesome.... that is some nice work there!!

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• Nice job on making it removable. I gave some consideration to a winch on my enclosed trailer since I have aftermarket fenders which add to the width and make it a tight squeeze. Figured it'd be easier and safer to slowly winch it on while watching side clearance. My concern with using a winch is where do you hook it to the front of the sling? Also, if the attach point is somewhere on the front lower frame of the SS, isn't the cable angle coming down the ramp going to be too high? This would have the cable hitting against the front lower spoiler and trying to lift it. Thanks for any thoughts, solutions.

• Nice job on making it removable. I gave some consideration to a winch on my enclosed trailer since I have aftermarket fenders which add to the width and make it a tight squeeze. Figured it'd be easier and safer to slowly winch it on while watching side clearance. My concern with using a winch is where do you hook it to the front of the sling? Also, if the attach point is somewhere on the front lower frame of the SS, isn't the cable angle coming down the ramp going to be too high? This would have the cable hitting against the front lower spoiler and trying to lift it. Thanks for any thoughts, solutions.

My plan is to make a 4' bar which will be wide enough to keep the chains away from front body panels. Short length of chain from each end to the A frames. One large tab on the front for the winch hook. I have to pick up the steel this week and mock it up. will post it when done

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I went to H F bought a purple six foot sling for $8 put two hooks on it, hook each end on a arm and it pulls right down center under the POLARIS. Works great. No rubbing at all. Yes I winch all my vehicles on trailer, hate to mess up paint, or wheels.

Keep Three Wheels Down

• I went to H F bought a purple six foot sling for $8 put two hooks on it, hook each end on a arm and it pulls right down center under the POLARIS. Works great. No rubbing at all. Yes I winch all my vehicles on trailer, hate to mess up paint, or wheels.

@Boomer Thanks
    I think I have one of those straps here - I will give it a try

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• kinda like they done the midget race cars or the dragsters. Just a thought.the nylon wouldn't hurt paint, just have hook out in front. Besides the sling is light enough, lt is not like a 65 GTO. Just sayin

Keep Three Wheels Down