What would be a good used Motorcycle for my oldest Son?

• If he is in to sport bikes...I started out on a Suzuki SV650S. I would say that it is near a perfect learner bike because if you ever learn to out ride that, you are a damn stud among men. If he wants to go cruiser style...Shoot for a Virago 750. I used to keep one in my garage for a few years while a friend was working overseas, to keep it in running shape I took it out from time to time. Very well balanced bike, heavier than it looks. Get's you used to the different riding position.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• I had a 2007 SV650 Naked bike and it was probably my favorite bike. Lots of owners have gone back to the SV650 after having owned bigger bikes because it is so versatile and fun w/o the temptation to blast thru the speed limits just to get to the bike engine's performance sweet spot.
    Having said that, if he is a beginning rider, I'd recommend going with a 300-500cc bike. This generally means between 30-45 HP. This size bike has more than sufficient performance for beginning riders w/o the problems potentially introduced by larger HP bikes. The SV650 has around 66 HP and is powerful enough to overwhelm a beginning rider if he/she should inadvertently accelerate too quickly. The only problem with some of the smaller-engined bikes is their frames are sometimes on the small size for larger riders.
    My first bike was a Kawasaki Vulcan 500 and I put around 8000 learning miles on it in around 8 months before buying my first new bike, a Suzuki DL650 (same basic motor as the SV650) but with a frame suited to taller riders with longer inseams.
    Before I made the switch to the Slingshot, I was seriously thinking about the Kawasaki Vulcan S, which can be adjusted for several different rider sizes. It's a cruiser powered by a derivative of the Ninja 650 motor and has been available since 2015, so used models are now available.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• My gf rides a Ninja 650R and that is a bike that I would recommend for a beginner.

It has a nice low end torque but not much on the top end , ours tops out at 118mph which is more than anyone should ever need.

This bike has a lot of aftermarket parts available and they are dirt cheap so once he makes a mistake it will be easy to fix it up.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I will second the Honda Shadow. I have owned 4 different shadows over the years and have to say hey are very well balanced and comfortable. It really depends on if he wants a cruiser or a sports bike. Just get one that fits properly not one that just looks cool. If he isn't comfortable riding it that's when accidents will happen.

• Honda Shadow again, great bike, comfortable, reliable, good resale value

Honda Shadow again, great bike, comfortable, reliable, good resale value

My first was an Allstate Cruiser made by Vespa, The first real bike was the CB 450 honda in 1970. The 2013 Harley Softail Slim is probably my last motorcycle (2 wheeler) It is up for sale now. But my 2 cent is something smaller maybe up to about a 650cc with not a whole lot of money invested in it to be sure this is really something he wants to do long term.

• Honda CB750 if you could ever find one. A classic historic ride, powerful enough to keep up as well as reliable. Parts are widely available.

Had one of those many years back. It had a 33 inch seat, 4 cyls and 4 carbs, fairly wide for it's length and not the easiest bike to ride for normal size people. Like you, I remember mostly the good times with it just like 60s muscle cars. When you drive those older cars today you then remember that they ride like crap, corner poorly and you have to jostle the steering wheel back and forth to stay straight.
    New stuff is better whether we want to admit it or not.

• Well, I have to admit that I ride a HD '17 Ultra and even though it is really a slug, I love the darn thing! Hate to follow the group but the Shadow is a very safe MC. Gosh - I'm never safe but it is your son!

Home of the free - because of the brave

• The hard part would be to keep him focused on the starter bike concept. It's hard to walk by the one you really think you want. Low miles, good blue book value, and comfortable riding position for his height. All the above bikes are great. He's going to be looking for another gear and it doesn't take long to want a trade up.

• The Suzi of the same vintage is also a strong ride, same attributes as most of the cruisers (but the resale value is a hit you have to be aware of). Buy cheap sell cheaper.
    Very few investments in bikes, only HD holds its value more than most, very trendy market.

Home of the free - because of the brave

• Unfortunately, many beginning riders have a target bike in mind.Too often, they want a more powerful bike and the end result is also unfortunately that they get scared of the bike while still learning and then are afraid to ride. Better to start with a smaller, more easily managed bike with a reasonable amount of power. Depending on the bike chosen, a starter bike can often be sold to another beginner for near what was paid for it.
    If you can find a Kawasaki Vulcan 500, it really is a great beginner bike, although the frame may be cramped if he is of tall stature. The Kawasaki Vulcan S is designed to accommodate riders of all sizes with simple changes in placement of the controls, although you might need to buy a different set of pegs, etc, if you buy the bike used and it's setup for a different-sized rider.