Need advise, Some kind of engine noise that's not good

• As long as Pascal doesn't mind, I guess it's fair game!

And honestly, that's all I'm here for, to get a fair shake. Equal time, if you will. Thanks to @Goats_Hogs for adding some detail relative to our Group Buys, which have indeed resulted in many thousands of dollars in savings to our customers. As an example, a typical 20-member group buy represents 20 x $200 = $4000 of cumulative savings across the group. We enjoy passing along those savings to Group members, and of course make up at least some of the margin lost in volume.

In @Travis case, his order was placed on June 20th, and shipped on July 29th. He hit us at a low point in inventory, thus the 5-week lead time. We also refunded his shipping fee as an additional accommodation. I thank you for your order, and your patience, sir!

While we are on the subject...as to our standard stocking practices (outside of group buys) for our Hahn/QA1 coilovers, thanks to our ever-increasing volume with QA1, we've now worked a wonderful deal with them going forward. Rather than be at the whim of their stocking levels for the handful of separate part numbers which make up our kits, they now build for us our very own Hahn-exclusive complete kits. This means we will no longer be affected by one or more of the various parts being on back order as we often have in the past. We've also beefed up our on-hand inventory, and started to stock some of the more common spring colors so they are on hand, so that powder coating lead time will be less of a factor. As such, lead times are now much improved!

That said, I'd be the last to deny that at times...we've had sloooow lead times. High quality such as we are known for takes high effort, and can't be slapped together by the unskilled. Those of you who know our story will know that our current location, at my late father's ranch which I inherited and then moved the enterprise to upon his passing in 2010, is in an exceedingly remote and sparsely-populated region, actually the poorest county in all of Florida. The idea in migrating the company here was to escape the high overhead of our previous 12,000 sf facility in expensive Illinois, and for the core of the company to weather the storm of the recession until economic conditions improved. The climate improvement also was very effective, both personally and professionally, as we can race/test year round now.

It has worked its intended purpose, but while the isolation has its pros, a major con I've suffered is the lack of a fully-functional workforce. Between the extremely sparse local population, and the harsh but true fact that a huge portion of those residents are not in the workforce, instead on government assistance and pretty much just interested in having enough money to drink and fish...assembling a Hahn-level crew has proved daunting. It's not only the sparse population and the lack of prospects, it's just the general ethos around here, which simply is not one of devoting oneself to one's employment...at least not to the degree I have become accustomed in my decades as an employer. Oh, they work...they just don't work very hard. As such, it's been apparent to me for several years that another relocation is in the queue.

That this is all taking place during 2018, the year of our 30th Anniversary, makes it that much sweeter. The next shoe is finally dropping. It's time! We've scouted the much more populous Daytona Beach as our next location, have put this property on the market, and will make the transition as soon as we have a sale. We'll also be well-capitalized, able to immediately add inventory as well as several new full-time positions to cover our current deficiencies (deficiencies basically gathered around the fact that I'm the one covering all these roles now, and admittedly spread too thin). The first new hires will include fulfillment, bookkeeping, and most importantly...sales and customer service. I'll be massively enabled, with more time to devote to my most valued contributions to the company, which include R&D of new product and marketing, as well as steering the ship. A valued cohort of mine, my mega-experienced lead fabricator Joe, is one of the few plums I've picked from this squalid, barren local landscape. He will also make the move with us to Daytona Beach, about 100 miles distant. The new facility will situate us in one of the motorsports capitals of the world, both for cars as well as bikes (we are deeply involved with both!) and we look forward to great things there. Much more info to come!

Does this belong in another thread? I agree! And it will be soon enough. I'm just very excited and, believe me, you can't even imagine how jazzed I am about moving it all to the next level...or in many ways, back to the level it was prior to our "cocooning" here in the Florida woods. That's what we aspire to...first, to return to former greatness. And then to run that ball forward to even greater heights!

• Good luck with this @Bill from Hahn RaceCraft

• Good luck with the sale and congratulations o the move.
    Looking forward to seeing more of you and your great products on the forum and on the street.
    Happy New Year!
    Looks like 2018 will be a great leap forward for you and we wish you nothing but success going forward!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Sounds exciting!

Good to hear something (unlike another vendor here who hasn't said anything...)

Hope to maybe do business with you one day... Thinking of offering superchargers?... :D

Not sure if there's anything else Hahn offers that I'd be interested in for the Sling... Oh, and can afford! :00008172: (frugal guy here that mainly looks for gently used)

• Sounds exciting!
    Good to hear something (unlike another vendor here who hasn't said anything...)

Hope to maybe do business with you one day... Thinking of offering superchargers?... :D

Not sure if there's anything else Hahn offers that I'd be interested in for the Sling... Oh, and can afford! :00008172: (frugal guy here that mainly looks for gently used)

Actually, we are elbows deep in a supercharging project as well. We expect to share more soon!

Thanks for your enthusiasm :)

• Hi Hoooo Hi Hooooo it’s off to DDM I go, picking my Sling this weekend with a shiney new bullet installed. After dropping her off a few weeks back Dave determined most likely a number 1 rod bearing failure so out with the rattling one and in with a built DDM works and a new tune. Thanks again for all the advise and help from my friends here and the educating phone conversations with Dave. After looking back at the beginning of this thread a couple of you said right away connecting rod and you nailed it. I’m excited to get a strong,balanced power plant that I can trust. The next question is why? Not sure I will ever now for sure, my best guess when riding the mountain roads last summer on vacation and doing long pulls uphill at low rpm and high boost I started hearing the detonation and started the damage on the rod bearings. Will update after a couple rides and Dyno results.

• My Built DDM engine is alive and kicking and after a spirited ride along with Doctor Dave I had a big smile on my face and and a lil stain in my shorts.
    I’m not a comfortable passanger seat rider and holding the laptop for Dave as he does some flat foot pulls caused the lil stain. amazed-squared I would like to Thank Dave for the hospitality, it’s such a pleasure dealer with a professional group of people. Not just the products but the support and passion that comes with their products. Dave took his time and talking and teaching me, answered phone calls and
    Txt’s and explained everything I asked about.
    Another thing to point out about DDM if you need to visit them, Greenville SC is a great town to visit. We spent the weekend downtown between trips to bug Dave and had a awesome time, food, bars etc. :00000436:

• As far as the engine failure, after DDM
    broke down my engine we found metal in Pan, Oil Pump and Pick up. Excessive wear on oil pump and all bearings etc. I’m 99% sure the reason is 100% my fault. The metal shavings in the pan looks like they came from a drill bit. After taking pain staking care when drilling my turbo return line fitting it was the reason for the failure. I used gease on flutes as recommended plus added a couple psi by tapping oil fill cap so when I broke thru the block oil actually blew back on me, I drained and flushed several times so I felt 100 % confident I had a clean drill. I was Completely Wrong.
    WARNING to all going forward, pull the oil pan and do the job correctly. This is not worth the shortcut as it’s a very expensive risk. A complete engine failure risk. Also I would highly recommend if using a builder to install your turbo or SC tell them to pull pan and confirm it’s clean.

• As far as the engine failure, after DDM
    broke down my engine we found metal in Pan, Oil Pump and Pick up. Excessive wear on oil pump and all bearings etc. I’m 99% sure the reason is 100% my fault. The metal shavings in the pan looks like they came from a drill bit. After taking pain staking care when drilling my turbo return line fitting it was the reason for the failure. I used gease on flutes as recommended plus added a couple psi by tapping oil fill cap so when I broke thru the block oil actually blew back on me, I drained and flushed several times so I felt 100 % confident I had a clean drill. I was Completely Wrong.
    WARNING to all going forward, pull the oil pan and do the job correctly. This is not worth the shortcut as it’s a very expensive risk. A complete engine failure risk. Also I would highly recommend if using a builder to install your turbo or SC tell them to pull pan and confirm it’s clean.

You might want to add that if anyone is going to do what you did in pressurizing the block. PLEAS drain the oil first or risk getting a 5w30 facial.

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Another thing to point out about DDM if you need to visit them, Greenville SC is a great town to visit. We spent the weekend downtown between trips to bug Dave and had a awesome time, food, bars etc. :00000436:

Aww, man, you should have told us you were in town! We could have given you a home-cooked meal and a place to crash.