angle drive just shit the bed

• wondering if anyone has had this happen to them or has had it happen to them. my angle drive just let go out of no where well you can say kinda exploded think dealer will give me shit about the royal purple? should i attemp to just fill it with the regular stuff then drop it ?

Heard rumor of one grenading but never saw proof ......

If you have a good dealer who doesn't submarine you with Polaris over the turbo I wouldn't think the aftermarket fluids would be an issue ....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• If they give you shit and you end up needing to replace it on your dime one of the guys who did the alpha 4th Wheel conversion was selling his, can't remember the name but i think it was MatSomethingOrTheOther he posted here a while back i think.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• @Neosolidus ya ill see what the dealer says thanks for letting me know about the angle drive but i wouldn't even take the risk of buying one that wasn't brand new and warrantied but appreciate the heads up. i know at @rabtech is running high boost as well with no issues wonder if this extra power is going to be an issue in the long run .im seeing like up to 14 psi's. the turbo is the only reason i see them giving me an issue but I'm pretty sure my dealer will leave those details.

• May, 2016 (TDS)

see this is the one that always baffled me. Unless a tooth broke free from the ring gear at the exact moment that it rotated into the pinion ( causing the two to push away) I just don't understand the case splitting like that. Did we every get the full story. Would love to know the cause.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• I've heard of a few, maybe 3. But the story was always the same, it was a demo that was launched hard from stopped repeatedly. Other than that, casting failures happen. The only way to be sure if it was a casting failure is to look at internals. Anything broken inside could have caused the hole. I'd still guess they would cover it. They should for sure.... not that many failures that I know of.

• Mine didn't go through the casing, but the race ring that one of the two gears was seated in, which was itself supposed to be seated in the casing, wasn't. It (the race ring) was loose, making the mating angles and surfaces of the gears less than adequate. Mine was whining and making all kinds of noise, and when the dealer finally pulled it apart and looked, he basically just pulled it out and ordered a whole new one. If it was something like that, and you drove it long enough, I can imagine you could have some pretty catastrophic failure.

• Mine didn't go through the casing, but the race ring that one of the two gears was seated in, which was itself supposed to be seated in the casing, wasn't. It (the race ring) was loose, making the mating angles and surfaces of the gears less than adequate. Mine was whining and making all kinds of noise, and when the dealer finally pulled it apart and looked, he basically just pulled it out and ordered a whole new one. If it was something like that, and you drove it long enough, I can imagine you could have some pretty catastrophic failure.

you said "catastrophic"... Hehehehe

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• The royal purple meets the specs for Polaris's requirements ...

I have been lucky with my final drive... So far the weakest link in my drivetrain is where the rubber meets the road. If I were to put a larger stickier back tire on the rear I'm sure I could break something back there really fast. If all the conditions came toghter at the right time i would definitely snap something.

I believe @kenny_h has a spare final drive if you or someone else needs one and has to pay for it. Hopefully they will warranty this and just swap it out quickly.

Gosh Dang it..... don't you going saying catastrophic failure otherwise Bigdog is going to want to start a thread about how we should buy spare angle drives in case they die..........................

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.