Drift start

• I just had to drift start my SS after it failed to start. I was on a 30-40 mile ride heading home I stopped at a farmers market walked around and got back in maybe 3 minutes. Tried to start it and nothing...a very small click. Just one not like the dreaded dead battery clicks... recycled the key again ... nothing..recycled it again...nothing... Did the clutch in and out several times..nothing...luckily I was in a sloped parking lot that gave me enough room to start it coasting...but there wasn't much room to start it before I hit the alley. So I quickly mentally calculated I might have two tries distance and still be able to hit the last parking spot in the lot. Second gear and popped the clutch..started easily...when I got in my driveway I Tried to start it again and it worked as it should. Several times ....so I don't know what made it not work...when I had the battery case off the last time I noticed a date sticker on my battery and it's a 2016 That I think the dealer changed...so I don't think it's the battery but not certain at this point...

I think my next purchase is a small jump box...I'm starting my research as we speak..

• I just had to drift start my SS after it failed to start. I was on a 30-40 mile ride heading home I stopped at a farmers market walked around and got back in maybe 3 minutes. Tried to start it and nothing...a very small click. Just one not like the dreaded dead battery clicks... recycled the key again ... nothing..recycled it again...nothing... Did the clutch in and out several times..nothing...luckily I was in a sloped parking lot that gave me enough room to start it coasting...but there wasn't much room to start it before I hit the alley. So I quickly mentally calculated I might have two tries distance and still be able to hit the last parking spot in the lot. Second gear and popped the clutch..started easily...when I got in my driveway I Tried to start it again and it worked as it should. Several times ....so I don't know what made it not work...when I had the battery case off the last time I noticed a date sticker on my battery and it's a 2016 That I think the dealer changed...so I don't think it's the battery but not certain at this point...

I think my next purchase is a small jump box...I'm starting my research as we speak..

I have had problems with this on both Slings over a 2 year period. What I have found is the battery cables are either getting corroded or breaking down.
    When it happens leave it in gear with the parking brake off and rock the sling back and forth a couple of times. Try to start it. It sometimes takes 3 or 4 attemps. Treat it like a bad starter solenoid.
    I believe with the corrosion or bad cable there is sometimes not enough push to get the gears to push past the flywheel if they are lined up.

• @Bigdog just a thought here. If you check your battery and the connections and all is good and you have to push start it again........try looking at your clutch safety switch and wiring. Didn't you post something about wires hanging out by your pedals? Your clutch switch wire could have gotten pinched and sometimes doesn't mack connection.

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• The first thing I thought was starter solenoid...that's how it acted...then the clutch safety switch...I'm going to check that wire hanging down to see what's going on..

That all said I've checked out small jump boxes and this one looks like the one I'm buying because it comes with a small air pump too....it has really good reviews ..

Rugged Geek Portable Booster Pack Emergency Jump Starter and Power Supply with LCD Display (RG1000 Safety Plus w/ Air Compressor)

Amazon.com: Rugged Geek Portable Booster Pack Emergency Jump Starter and Power Supply with LCD Display (RG1000 Safety Plus w/ Air Compressor): Automotive

Don't bother looking for a lower price I did and every site has the same price listed..

• The ground wire you speak of....is that the one where the black battery wire connects to the frame or is there other ones? The motor should have one.

I did check that wire beside the clutch pedal...took me about an hour to get it unstuck...the wire loom was crushed and I had to slice the loom To check the wires...they are all OK

• You have a different definition of drift than most. It's normally just called a hill start, bump start, push start, or popping the clutch. If you are drifting the Slingshot then you are going too fast for the technique to work....generally only 5-10 miles per hour is all that is needed.

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• You're giving away your age,,,,,you think drifting means burning rubber around curves..today it does..
    When your car is drifting it's usually because the motor isn't running.

Years ago when you didn't have money to buy a new starter you parked one hill so you could drift down and throw it in gear and start the car..

Google the song Back When by Tim McGraw..

• OK, I'll bite. I not only Google'd it, I did it thru Bing also. Back when, by Tim McGraw. Top three answers, all the same. Nothing.... I mean nothing at all... refers to drifting. That word is not even in the song. And while I respect Tim McGraw, I don't care for country. Or being steered to look at something that has nothing to do with "Drifting". That has been a racing term as long as I remember it. I remember nothing of coasting or a bump start to be called drifting. I also remember coasting to mean trying for the most gas mileage. I'm 57, and drifting to me only applies to driving around corners....

Wikipedia.... "As a motoring discipline, drifting competitions were first popularized in 1970s Japan"

For the rest of us....

Tim McGraw Lyrics

"Back When"

Don't you remember
    The fizz in a pepper
    Peanuts in a bottle
    At ten, two and four
    A fried bologna sandwich
    With mayo and tomato
    Sittin' round the table
    Don't happen much anymore

We got too complicated
    It's all way over-rated
    I like the old and out-dated
    Way of life

Back when a hoe was a hoe
    Coke was a coke
    And crack's what you were doing
    When you were cracking jokes
    Back when a screw was a screw
    The wind was all that blew
    And when you said I'm down with that
    Well it meant you had the flu
    I miss back when
    I miss back when
    I miss back when

I love my records
    Black, shiny vinyl
    Clicks and pops
    And white noise
    Man they sounded fine
    I had my favorite stations
    The ones that played them all
    Country, soul and rock-and-roll
    What happened to those times?

I'm readin' Street Slang For Dummies
    Cause they put pop in my country
    I want more for my money
    The way it was back then

Coke was a coke
    I miss back when
    I miss back when
    I miss back when

Give me a flat top for strumming
    I want the whole world to be humming
    Just keep it coming
    The way it was back then

Coke was a coke
    I miss back when
    I miss back when
    I miss back when

• Had an old Triumph that had to be started like that a bunch when I was in college. We called it- "Hold my F%×#ing beer, while I push this piece of S&÷t down the hill" start!!!

CDCAMEL6

When my older sister was in college, I was in HS. I would go over sometimes on the weekend. There was a car there, that was used by just about anyone that needed one. It was a mid 60's AMC, with 3 on the column. It would not hold a charge for anything. It was painted an awful color, and hence the nickname "Buttercup". Anyone wanting to use it, the conversation would always start the same.... "You'll have to bump start Buttercup".

• Back in the day, we called it: "You push, I'll pop the clutch!!"
    Any one that wanted to ride with me had to be Ok with pushing.....or.....NO RIDE FOR YOU!!!!

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• When my older sister was in college, I was in HS. I would go over sometimes on the weekend. There was a car there, that was used by just about anyone that needed one. It was a mid 60's AMC, with 3 on the column. It would not hold a charge for anything. It was painted an awful color, and hence the nickname "Buttercup". Anyone wanting to use it, the conversation would always start the same.... "You'll have to bump start Buttercup".

Oh yeahhhhh!!! 3 on the tree!!! Learned to drive when I was 12 on an old International Harvester farm truck with 3 on the tree!!! A 1956 to be exact. My best friend growing up was gifted an AMC Pacer by his granny. It was more modern. Had the worst 4 speed manual transmission that was ever created!!! Not to mention that the Pacer was a goldfish aquarium on wheels!!!

CDCAMEL6