New 2018 Ride Command System is not backwards-compatable with previous model year Slingshots.

• Correct, he acquired another restaurant and is literally gutting it as we speak.

Oh what the hell here is the picture of the new vehicle that he is testing.

I do NOT see ride command on that new ride!

:00000436:
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• As some of you will have seen... I really sick of the lack of support, over in the UK, with the original radio (that keeps resetting to the US radio frequencies) and the total lack of UK support for problems it causes the customers and dealers.

- - NOW THE GOOD NEWS! - -

I have been working with some technical guys in the UK to get a radio that will work in my European SlingShot. This required the design of a housing for the radio, that would protect the radio from the rain and keep it from view, when parked up.

The assembly fits into the standard apiture of the pe-2018 design, without any modification and still allows for a full double din radio to be fitted in place of the original equpment.

The assembly has a cover to allow a non-waterproof radio to be fitted.

This veiw shows the radio offered up in place, before wiring up the SlingShot.

The cover ensures that it doesn't scream "Steal me!" To anyone passing by.

The angle of the radio screen has now also been changed, so that it no longer reflects the sky and so stopped the glare that is typical with the existing setup.

The compleate project is still work in progress however the fame and cover are now finalised. All that is left to work on is the fitting and wireing of the radio & its various attachments.

This assembly should let anyone fit anything that they wish, in place of the existing unit.

All the best, from UK_Paul

Edited 2 times, last by UK_Paul ().

• Are y’all going to produce more of these set ups?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• @UK_Paul, allow me translate from Texan to British:

By “y’all”, @DKF Texas means, “all of you”... :D

(Although, technically, “y’all” is singular whereas “all y’all” or “you’ns” is plural...)

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• @DKF Texas
    It looks like these can be made avalible, one way or another.

When I'm happy that it's keeping the rain out properly and everything is working fine, I'll be pleased to get something sorted out. (It won't have an certified IP rating).

I'm pleased to let you know the equipment that this is designed around and include a link below. It will also fit other double DIN setups, so you can fit just what you want.

The radio that my system will be based on (before lots of modifications)

Google the reference below for more info:
    Ownice C500 OL - 7001F

Dealer page:
    Ownice C500 OL - 7001F Android 6.0 Car Navigator-$232.88 and Online Shopping | GearBest.com Mobile

BUT...
    Don't rush out and purchase one of these yet! Let me test things out properly first.

The radio that I'm using is able to be set up for all sorts of extra functions, (It will not work with the OBD II features as Polaris have a totally diffrent setup that will not work with the industry standard products). Additionally, we are working on a slight modification that will allow the tire pressure monitoring system to work (it requires data from 4 wheels to work). It will also work with somethng called DAB radio, in Europe (High quality digital radio. Not yet avalible in the US). With an additional attchment, it will also be able to display digital TV transitions. It takes a 4G cell phone SIM card, so will also be able to connect directly to the internet, at top speeds, while you are in the SlingShot and also make calls... the list goes on, (2 Camaras, WiFi, phone mirroring, sat nav., I phone input, blue tooth, voice command) so just check the link above if this sounds interesting.

All of the above is pretty dam good for a starting price of: $235 USD (at the date of this posting). + ancillary items, to achive some of the above features.

Normally, this sort of machine would cost you thousands, like the new Ride Comand system does. It all goes to prove that if we don't need the, dedicated, Polaris OBD system, then we can get a whole lot more than we are being offered, for 1/10th of the price.

Keep watching!!!

• Definitely watching!

• I found this on YouTube.

It's a review of a similar (but elightly earlyer) design unit to the one that I will be using (see posting above).

You will also see that the presenter has commnted, that these things are highly adaptable. That has allowed modifications to be made to my unit that takes it to another level.

So what are these mods going to do?
    - One example is -
    Eventually, with some additional programming and hardware, that's also going in, it is intended that the car will be able to message people's cell phones, that stand by the SlingShot just too long, or get too close. Then if they return after looking at it once, then it will know and be able to mesage them again, on their return, possibly, even lettinngt them know who they are (but that may be just a little too weird).

• Are y’all going to produce more of these set ups?

@DKF Texas
    Good news for you...

I have spoken with the manufacturer of the housing today and shoukd anyone want one of these, we believe the best way to supply this will be as follows:

The unit is printed in ABS plastic, on a 3D printer.
    Due to the very many possble colours and finishes that may be required, we have concluded that it will be most effective to supply it in its raw, printed (black plastic) form.
    This will allow people to adapt the unit and have it polished & painted in any way that they wish.
    Should anyone require a different depth for the dimension, inside the cover, it will be possible to print deeper covers, than the one that I have used. (This will allow for protruding buttons and dials, if nessasary). The cover will not have the SlingShot badge on it (but you could have what ever you want printed, in vinal, by the same guys, over here, at a small additional cost or even fix The hood logo in place on it) The product will be manufactured in the UK and can be shipped anywhere in the world.

This should keep the cost to a sensible figure and still allow it to be finished by the owner as they wish. I sure variations will be avalible, should this be required, but that still needs to be organised.

:00000436::00000436::00008040::00000436::00000436:
    Full details and priceing will follow when they have formulated some costings.
    :00000436::00000436::00008040::00000436::00000436:

• I had to reorder the radio power wireing harness from SlingMods.com yesterday. I was about to take the SlingShot out for fitting all the new electronic components and discovers that I no longer had the wiring for powering up the radio.

I still have the separate "mark 1" camara harness but guss that either I have lost the other set of wires, or perhaos they may be sitting on a workshop floor or tucked away in a free.

Whatever has happened, the guys at SlingMods.com sorted out a set of the complete "Mark 2" wireing set (I got it on the last Black Friday deal day). So it will shortly be on its way to Europe, allong with a few other goodies.

• So I've been quiet on this as I'm just busy on other things. I think Polaris hasn't made these backwards compatible as the main wiring harness for the machines keeps changing and the hookup for the radio in particular is one thing that keeps changing. You would have to have minimum of 4 different connectors on these.

Good news is that I found the vender in China where they have these manufactured and having them send me some of the connector plugs as I refuse to cut into the RideCommand wiring harness. No easy task by the way as the plugs are NOT labeled with anything, so had to hunt them down with web searches. Need to do this in a way that is plug and go F'yourself trying to find which wiring harness you need to plug into. My 2017 has a 2016 main harness. Who figured. You need a 2018 harness to have it just plug in and go, so trying to figure out the wires now.

Also good news is I am getting the adapter for the amp as well so if you wanted to use your own amp, I will have a clean way to plug into it.

So hoping the plugs will be in in the next two weeks. Need to get this moving!

:00000436:
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• Great work @SaulGoodman