Battery Size - 2016 SL

• Here in the desert the extreme heat has a way of shortening the life of automobile batteries. As such at some point I know I will go out to start my sling and it will be dead. I know the best solution would probably be to upgrade to an optima battery, but at this point I am not running any extra accessories that put any additional drain on the battery.

Just to be prepared for that day when my battery dies I would like to look now what battery I would need to replace it, this way I can do research now to know the best place to get it when the time comes. I have looked in my owners book and all it tells me is that it is 12 Volt / 30 Amp Hour / 575 Cold Cranking Amps

That is good info to know, but it doesnt really tell me much if I wanted to walk into a local auto parts place or the Harley dealer and buy one. Normally if I were buying a car battery I would expect a series number or size number

So can someone here tell me the series number or size of the stock battery in my SL

thanks

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I remembered reading on here they were talking about different batteries. go to the search form and type in better battery. I think that will bring it up.

:flag_United_States::BLACKSS::COLDAIRSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS::SUPERCHARGERSS::COILOVERSS:

S O G Member - TRAKHAMR

• I remembered reading on here they were talking about different batteries. go to the search form and type in better battery. I think that will bring it up.

I have seen the threads about "better" batteries and I know I could order a mount kit and upgrade to an optima, but thats not what I am asking here

I just want to know what Group Size battery the stock battery is so that I can see what options are available locally without going to the expense of upgrading to an Optima.

• Group size 26

This is out of my 2016.5. Most info rubbed off but maybe helps you a little.

thank you both

• 2015 is a much larger Group 34

You got me questioning myself now, I think the Group Size 26 came in the 2015 and guys were upgrading to the Group Size 34 for more capacity. Physically the 34 fits, it is about a 1/4" taller and 1 1/2" longer than the 26.

• interesting, I just looked at polaris's downloadable owners manuals for 2015, 2016 & 2017. Both the 2015 & 2016 give the exact same 30 amp & 575 CCA ratings for the battery, but the 2017 manual rates the battery at a lower 30 amp & 400 CCA

2015 see page 85 - 9923991r01-lo-res.pdf

2016 see page 85 - 9926666r01_lo_res.pdf

2017 see page 104 - 9927219r01_standard.pdf

it seems as if either they didnt bother updating the 2016 book or the battery was changed when the 2016 1/2 changes were made

Also as a side note the book that came with my 2016 also lists the higher capacity 575 CCA in the specs just like the link above

• You got me questioning myself now, I think the Group Size 26 came in the 2015 and guys were upgrading to the Group Size 34 for more capacity. Physically the 34 fits, it is about a 1/4" taller and 1 1/2" longer than the 26.

I assure you, the 2015 OEM battery is a Group 34 in size.

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• @edwardaneal my 2016.5 had the smaller battery. I did replace mine late last fall to the Optima. I kept the original on a battery tender. About a month ago, I got ready to ride my 2012 Harley Road King. Went to start it, but it had dropped a cell and only clicked. Took the battery out, glanced at the Polaris battery, then went to investigate more closely. Identical size, both sealed with no vents, and the Polaris was 400 CCA while the Harley was 405. Placement of positive/negative were the same. I'm now starting the Harley with the old Polaris battery....

So there's one that will fit. Although it will cost you the same as an Optima if you buy the Harley version.