short tool list

• I have no torx drivers and only one or 2 metric allen wrenches. Can someone give me a short list of what sizes of these I should get for very basic work on my Slingshot.

Thanks.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I have no torx drivers and only one or 2 metric allen wrenches. Can someone give me a short list of what sizes of these I should get for very basic work on my Slingshot.

Thanks.

Go to Sears and buy the Socket Wrench Set # 9 34845 42 piece set for use at home, it pretty much has everything you need. as in allen star Keep checking and they are always putting it on sale. Very good at the sale price Metric & standard

• Uh, didn't you basically ask this question here - Tools? I was going to point you to my response there with a list of what I carry on my Slingshot when I realized you started that thread, too! :D
    I find the Milwaukee ratcheting screwdriver, supplemented with the HF long-stem drivers to be really handy for most Slingshot fasteners.

• Uh, didn't you basically ask this question here - Tools? I was going to point you to my response there with a list of what I carry on my Slingshot when I realized you started that thread, too! :D
    I find the Milwaukee ratcheting screwdriver, supplemented with the HF long-stem drivers to be really handy for most Slingshot fasteners.

I was being a bit more specific here in only wanting to know the basic torx and allen wrenches needed

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I've been intending to compile a list of tools to identify what I actually need in my kit, but I've been too lazy to actually write stuff down. I posted some stuff on one of the forums, so I'll see if I can find it. Otherwise, I'll try to start compiling a list. I was actually disappointed with the Polaris Slingshot Service Manual as I expected Polaris to actually identify which tools were needed for each maintenance item. I caught a lot of grief from folks who thought that was a dumb idea. ?(
    I started a thread over on TDS and asked folks to post any tools they could link to specific tasks/parts. I onyl had 1 response (13mm for rear swing arm, but I'm not sure what tool the responder was referring to). Naturally, people posted a Hammer and Duct Tape!

Here's what I posted back in May 2016 -

My biggest disappointment with the so-called Polaris Service manual for the Slingshot is the lack of either a comprehensive list of tools needed when working on the Slingshot or a job-specific list of tools required for a specific job.
    After having removed and reinstalled my painted body panels, I thought I would start a tools list which will hopefully grow into a comprehensive list of tools needed when working on the Slingshot. Feel free to add any tools or uses you can think of to grow the list. If you add a tool that is needed for a specific aftermarket product, please identify the product to make it easier for folks to determine if they need it in their toolkit.
    It shouldn't take too long to grow this into a comprehensive list.
    Here goes:

Tool Uses
    Torx Bits -
    T40 - Most body panel screws
    T30 - ?Can't remember at the moment?
    T25 - Smaller body pieces, underhood Hi-Low screws for inserts, colored trim pieces underneath mirrors, storage compartment screws underneath the roll hoops
    T20 - Polaris speaker modules
    Hex Bits -
    4mm - Outer Headlights

Sockets -
    10mm - Lower wing bolts
    13mm - Side mirror adjustment
    16mm - Roll Hoop bolts
    1-5/8" or
    41mm - Original Rear Axle Nut
    1-3/4" - New Double Axle Nuts

UPDATE (07.28.17) - I attached a PDF Toolkit.pdf showing the tools I already had in my Slingshot toolbox. Since I had room left in the bottom of my Slingshot toolbox, I added the following metric sockets 5, 6, 7, 8, & 9 mm and a ratchet, 3/8" extension, spinner and 1/4" adapter from a very cheap HF set (HF #62843 or 63015, can't remember which) and a set of HF #61285 metric sockets (10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19 & 22mm).
    New - Unfortunately, my Grip Worklight failed on me and I need to find a new light.

Misc.
    Body Panel Pliers - Plastic rivets
    Extra plastic rivets and metal fasteners. (Remember to always start fasteners by hand as they break easily if cross-threaded.)

I'll try to update any posts to make a consolidated list.
    Tried several times to maintain spacing/columns w/o success.

Edited 6 times, last by BKL ().

• That said I've removed a lot of those 40 Torx screws that look stripped...someone before me did it...don't know if it's factory or dealer...I would like to have a few of those screws on hand. Actually a few of each size would make me happy and those threaded clips they go into..

I ordered the oil filter socket, belt tension gauge. For home..I'm not sure if I want to get a small kinda tool box or a soft tool pouch with individual tool slots.... I bought one of those to keep on my bicycle.. I do have a tire plug kit and small air compressor in the SS. Spare fuses & relays... some duct tape could be useful ....I have this also 48745604?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222051940755&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=t&wl3=10359696937&wl4=kwd-1103075721491&wl12=48745604_0&wl14=fobo tire pressure monitor&veh=sem

You can't really tell if these low profile tires are going flat.... my pickup has tire pressure sensors and I was just getting on the turnpike when one lit up...my girlfriend lived one exit away so I called her and told her I had a tire emergency and to meet me at the tire shop to pick me up. I drove a little faster than the speed limit so I didn't need a tow truck you get me off....The next morning it was totally flat. So I consider these sensors a good safety investment...it can alert your phone or iPad in the living room if the SS is in the driveway getting a flat.

Small red flashing light with a white light also. Phone charger...doctor gloves..Allen wrenches.

Anyone carrying an extra fan belt or drive belt?

• The FOBO tire pressure unit is also avalable from All things 3- fobo-bike-tire-pressure-monitoring-system and SlingMods - Polaris Slingshot Electronic Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS).

I cringe when I watch a video on doing a mod to a Slingshot and the video shows someone using a power-driver to install fasteners. Personally, I think the main cause lies with the Polaris assemblers. I doubt the assembly line allows time for them to start the fasteners manually, so chances are a power-driver is used for starting and tightening the fasteners.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• I'm a big fan of the tire pressure sensors. Doing 70 on the turnpike and hit a piece of 4x4 with the rear tire. You can see it cut a nice slice into the tire. And just grazed the rim. No dent just ever so slight paint loss.

About 20 miles from home. I got into the tire pressure app on my phone and watched the rear tire pressure thevredy of the trip to make sure I wasn't leaking air.

Stopped at my regular tire shop to let them evaluate the tire safety. He said it did its job and it was safe to drive on.

I highly recommend the sensors for everyone. It's a great safety feature.

• MY only real concern about the various tire pressure sensor systems is using the valve-stem-mounted sensors on standard rubber valve stems. Depending on whether or not the valve stem is vertical, the added weight may cause the valve stem to flex, possibly causing damage to the valve stem. If the valve stem doesn't mount vertically, I think I'd want rubber valve stems replaced with metal valve stems.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• [quote='BKL','https://www.slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/3986-short-tool-list/&postID=141191#post141191']The FOBO tire pressure unit is also avalable from All things 3- fobo-bike-tire-pressure-monitoring-system and SlingMods - Polaris Slingshot Electronic Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS).

I cringe when I watch a video on doing a mod to a Slingshot and the video shows someone using a power-driver to install fasteners. Personally, I think the main cause lies with the Polaris assemblers. I doubt the assembly line allows time for them to start the fasteners manually, so chances are a power-driver is used for starting and tightening the fasteners.[/quote
    What is your personal preference on tire pressure?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• With around 37000 miles on my 2015 Base Slingshot, I've just bought Nitto Motivo 215/50R17 tires for the front which I plan on mounting soon. For the rear, I've had 2 Kenda 265/35R18 tires (about 10-11000 miles each), a Sumitomo HTR Z III 295/30R18 (about 7000 miles), a Nankang NS-20 275/35R18 (around 8-9000 miles) and a Nitto 555 G2 315/35R17 on an American Muscle 17 x 10.5" Cobra-style wheel (to be remounted once I finish my turbo install). I've run stock pressures on all of those tires. I may change pressure on the 555 G2 once I see how it wears. The Nitto Motivo is rated at 65000 miles and comes in the same 315 size I have for the 555 G2, so I might try a Mtivo on the rear if the 555 G2 doesn't wear as well as I'd prefer and the front Motivos perform OK.

• MY only real concern about the various tire pressure sensor systems is using the valve-stem-mounted sensors on standard rubber valve stems. Depending on whether or not the valve stem is vertical, the added weight may cause the valve stem to flex, possibly causing damage to the valve stem. If the valve stem doesn't mount vertically, I think I'd want rubber valve stems replaced with metal valve stems.

FOBOBIKE Comes with short metal stems...and I had the wheels balanced after installing the stems and cap transmitters..

• Isn't there a sensor kit sold for cars that mount to the tires as OEM would and works with a phone app, so lets say I was going to replace my tires i could just ask my tire place to replace my stems with the new sensor ones and have an "OEM TPMS" that won't give me the constant fear that what if that cap leaks or if someone steals it again(I have had a set stolen from a sport bike before).

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Isn't there a sensor kit sold for cars that mount to the tires as OEM would and works with a phone app, so lets say I was going to replace my tires i could just ask my tire place to replace my stems with the new sensor ones and have an "OEM TPMS" that won't give me the constant fear that what if that cap leaks or if someone steals it again(I have had a set stolen from a sport bike before).

Yes. Talk to @MACAWS.