Putting together "annual ride in" to the Huntsville Polaris Slingshot facility.

• Why thank you for the kind words -
    I really want to make another track day at Roebling Road a priority. If we can get 15 firm commitments we can have the track to ourselves for the day. Would cost about $300 each but that includes everything. But it would have to be a week day.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Roebling Road would be a pretty good haul for me.

I'm ready for some riding weather for sure. I am so sick of this cold and nasty crap!!

I am almost done with my SC install and looking forward to getting on the road with it.

Actually the SC install is done but now I'm working on installing the new windscreen. That isn't going so well at the moment.

My brackets should be here tomorrow to mount my gauges in. Get them done and get the issues with the wind screen taken care of and I'm ready to ride!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• You need to have a separate thread for a different event.

I for one like the idea of Rab putting on an annual event where we just ride and don’t have to pay these silly promoter fees. We don’t need to pay $75 for a T-shirt and community gathering. Let’s not turn a ride event into a business.
    Just thinkin out loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I try to run several events a year and I never charge a fee. I get the local chamber or businesses who benefit to help offset costs. But this is not how I make a living it is just to get together with friends. We also have much smaller groups only 20 - 30 Slingshots.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I try to run several events a year and I never charge a fee. I get the local chamber or businesses who benefit to help offset costs. But this is not how I make a living it is just to get together with friends. We also have much smaller groups only 20 - 30 Slingshots.

@MACAWS events are the BEST events!! (just say’in ~> but heck, I’m biased) :P

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• I was saying this thread was about Rabs event and then it was derailed about a track day and it is confusing is what I meant.

I have never been to Macaws events and I’m sure are great.
    I would rather use ALL profits to go to a good charity instead of lining a guys pocket. Maggie was started on the old forum by a group of riders to ride and meet as hobbyists. Then a guy jumps in the game because he says a way to make money on us. If we have more free and two day events it leaves guys more vacation time to spread out and go other places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I mentioned this a while back about the factory tour and some sort of ride in.

I spoke to the plant manager last year and he said it would be fine to have people come and tour the facility. He didn't have any issues with that... He even said that when we narrowed down the dates he could arrange a more detailed floor level tour of the assembly line. The only thing I have to know is what days it will be and how many would want to tour the factory. So as he pointed out he can authorize that portion of the event and Polaris wouldnt even have to be involved.

But I would want Polaris to be involved.....so here is where I got sidetracked. He said that if we wanted Polaris to acknowledge it and provide things like swag and demo rides and basically show up I would need to present Polaris's media group a breakdown of what we would expect from them and what they need to have available.

That is when i started thinking....How do I know how many will attend.. And how do I keep all these people busy during the few days that the event last. I know that people would want vendors to be onsite and that would be easy to arrange. I'm sure all the vendors would love to be involved. Another thing is the group rides that we have at other events. I know many places to ride to around Huntsville. But I am not even sure there would be time for group rides... maybe one to Lynchburg TN to the jack Daniels distillery.

Then there is the issue of where to have this event. It can't be at the Polaris facrory. Or at least i wouldnt think it could be. But that isnt a real big issue. There are many many places around that area that could hold that many people for sure.

And there was the issue of "when" it should take place. I had people telling me as early as April and as late at Sept. And each person had a good reason for their suggestion.

I have not dropped the ball on this event. I just don't want to a poor job with it. I will get with my contact and see if I can get the ball rolling again. Spencer at Champion Power Sports in Athens was helping me work with the facility. And about that time last year he had a new baby born. So he had his plate full also. I'll get back with him and see if he will be able to help now.

• I am sure without a doubt that it will be a daunting task. There are so many things to be considered. One thing is for sure, you cannot do it all by yourself. I know you didn't ask me but I'm going to put in my .o2 anyway.

If I were taxed with the responsibility of being the "Chief Manager" of such an event the first thing I would do is put together a small group of people (5-9 but always an odd number) to be the executive committee to assist me. Each of these people should be in charge of certain aspects of the event ( tickets, media, food etc) and may invite other people as necessary to be a part of a larger group called the coordinators committee. The people on the coordinators committee will be the "boots on the ground" folks that are directly involved with each task.

The first thing on the agenda is the date. Accept from the beginning that you are not going to satisfy everyone with your choice of dates. There are many things to consider when choosing a date. First and foremost is the weather. Because it is primarily an outside event you want the weather to be warm enough that you are assured that there will not be extreme conditions. In Alabama that is next to impossible but you'll have to do the best you can. Next you want to stay as far away from other events as possible. I'm not just speaking of SS events but other events as well. You wouldn't want to have it the same weekend as the SEC Championship for instance. There are tons of other happenings that could derail your turnout but that was just one that I thought of. If this is going to be an annual event once you decide on your date stick with it year after year so there is never a question of when it's going to be. In example if you decide the event should be the first full weekend in Juvember then it is always the first full weekend in Juvember!

Location, Location, Location!! We understand that it will be billed as the "Annual SS Home Coming Factory Tour" or something like that but we can't spend the weekend at the factory. You could have the factory tours set up for groups of XXX people to go through at XX times. While those folks are touring the factory the rest of us need to be doing something else. This is where "location" is important. The "center" of operations needs to be set in a place that is as convenient as possible not only for lodging, food, etc but access to some good riding destinations also. It is going to be a balancing act to pick such a place. Also in consideration of the location is how many vendors do you expect to have present. They have to have room to set up as well. Another question that affects your consideration about the location of the "center" of operations is is this event open to the general public? If the public is invited you'll need more room for parking etc. The person/persons on the executive committee are the one's that should offer up all their advice and suggestions on all this and then see what is available on the weekend you plan to have your event and go from there.

Itinerary: There needs to be a published itinerary prior to or at least at the on sight registration of the event. People are much more comfortable when they feel like they know what is going on and when and where. It is almost inconceivable but some folks don't want to spend every minute with you and I and will pick and choose from the itinerary the parts of the event that they wish to participate in. The itinerary needs to include every "planned" part of the event including but not limited to :planned rides, planned meals, planned tours(be it at the factory or other locations), group pictures, door prizes,seminars etc.

Media: You will need media and LOTS of it. You cannot depend on FB or the forum to do all the advertising that will be needed for such an event. This is one area where Polaris themselves could really help out. You will need to take advantage of every possible avenue of advertising for this event. Keep in mind that you are not just doing a regional event you are doing a NATIONAL event that needs to be advertised in every state in the union. There are lots of regional rags like "full throttle" that can help with this but you'll need recommendations from all over the U.S.A. if you want national attention.

Early Registration: Early registration is a must. That is the only way of even coming close to having an idea of how many folks will be showing up. The choice is yours of when this can take place but it is definitely key in the decisions that will need to be made as the event takes shape. Most events like this give a discount for early registrants as well as giving them an event package that includes some free gifts etc. You may welcome folks to show up unannounced but they need to understand that the price will be higher and they will not receive the "event package" that the early registrants do.

I could go on and on but I suppose enough is enough! Good luck on the event and let me know when registration is open!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• Wow. Sounds like you just put in your resume @Ghost ... lol. You are right here in my neighborhood. So we need to get together and hash out some ideas. Since my Slingshot is in South Carolina I may take this weekend to clean my garage up. If your around tomorrow or Sunday maybe you can come over.

You know you can count on me to help.
    Just a little harder for me because I am so far away and don't know any of the players in the area. But I have a few events under my belt so just reach out and ask!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Wow. Sounds like you just put in your resume @Ghost ... lol. You are right here in my neighborhood. So we need to get together and hash out some ideas. Since my Slingshot is in South Carolina I may take this weekend to clean my garage up. If your around tomorrow or Sunday maybe you can come over.

I'm not sure that I would be much help to ya but I will be glad to come up some time this weekend and give you a little more insight on how we handle some of the things for our event.

Wish me luck, here in a few minutes we are going to put the wheels back on "The Ghost" and take her for her maiden voyage boosted!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• Go ahead. :-)

Nope. You know I don't have the balls or skill to drive the thing the way it needs to be driven. I'm not saying I wouldn't try, and I know your assertion that you've got it built tough enough to handle anything the driver does, but I'm not talking about the engine. I'm talking about wrapping that thing around a phone pole as I try to push my personal limits. So, thanks, but no. Maybe next fall in Murphy I'll feel experienced enough.

A man's gotta know his limitations....