really basic question

• can I change the oil in my sling without lifting it?

If so any pointers to make it easier

My dealer is over an hour away and I would love to do it at home, but being as low as it is I am not sure if I can easily get to the drain plug without lifting. My F-150 was easy to get under to the drain plug, but it wasnt 4 inches off the ground

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• If you're resourceful enough you can :D . Like @MBMedic mentioned as well as a curb, a driveway (if the incline is enough, start the sling up the drive way and you'll end up with a high point right were you need it). Anything that will let you get the front wheels higher than the rear should do. As always, just be careful :whistling: .

• I change mine all the time on flat garage floor.

Use a plastic oil change pan to catch the oil just if you want to use torque wrench on drain bolt after i jack up one side. Put jack stand from harbor freight under frame for safety

Then able to get a standard torque wrench on the drain bolt.

Drop back down and refill oil

Get the oil filter wrench. Cheap from Amazon.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Floor jack through the front wing (center) to the frame under the radiator. If you lift and remove the passenger front tire it will make access to the drain plug easier.

Always place something under the frame in case the jack fails and also chock the rear tire to keep it from rolling.
    Lift enough to put your drain pan underneath.

The filter is easy but the correct socket size with a swivel end extension makes it even easier.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Easy job. Take off filter cap w 32mm socket (from Autozone)(no vacuum then) jack up driver's side (oil drain is on passenger side so easily drains), put stand under for safety, drain oil, reinstall plug, remove and install new filter, put filter cap back on, refill oil. Takes less than 15 min.

• Same way I do it @dangerdarrell. Also, don't forget to change the o ring on the filter cap. I use K&N oil filters, and a new o ring come with it. Likely most do. I'm running Mobil 1 5W30 for what that's worth. Many good oils out there, don't need this turning into an oil thread.

Besides, it'll get derailed soon enough anyway.... That's what we do best! :thumbsup:

• Floor jack through the front wing (center) to the frame under the radiator. If you lift and remove the passenger front tire it will make access to the drain plug easier.

Always place something under the frame in case the jack fails and also chock the rear tire to keep it from rolling.
    Lift enough to put your drain pan underneath.

The filter is easy but the correct socket size with a swivel end extension makes it even easier.

Yep, removing the passenger tire was what my dealer did for my first oil change. Tearing up my after-market lug nuts, after I told them I left the special socket on the seat, was a freebie. Never went back for routine maintenance. I use lower profile ramps that it use for my other "cage" vehicles.

• I use a shallow oil drain pan that will slide under the Slingshot with the wheels on the ground. Sit on the passenger tire or lean over it and carefully reach down and remove the oil drain plug. Be careful to avoid hot parts. OR - I bought a Amazon.com: Fumoto F-107N Engine Oil Drain Valve: Automotive, that replaces the oil drain plug and allows easy opening of the valve for oil changes. On the Slingshot's pan, I needed an extension (Amazon.com: ADP-107 Fumoto® Adapter 12mm-1.75 (not compatible with F107SX): Automotive) to move the valve out to clear the oil pan recess the valve mounts into. Fumoto's website for the 2.4L engine we have is here - Search Results | Fumoto® Engine Oil Drain Valves. The valve I chose sticks out to the side a ways. They also make a side-facing valve. The valve does slow down the drain process some, but it makes it very easy to drain the oil and close the valve. You can even place a small tube on the valve nipple to direct the oil wherever you want.

• Like many have already said, you can do it on a flat surface, you just need a low profile pan to fit under the vehicle to catch the oil. And if you have difficulty getting the tool onto the filter to break it free, there's plenty of room to do the old "drive a screwdriver into the side of the filter and wrench it off that way" trick. Just sayin'.

Uhhh... @KayTwo. ?( Unless you have a different oil filter than me, like a remote filter, that is going to destroy the filter housing. I still use the drop-in filter. ;)

• really ? you don't have a cartridge filter..... did you do a filter relocation or is this stock ?

Not sure what you have @KayTwo but I just changed my oil on the 15 before going to MV and changed the oil on my 17 as soon as I got back from MV. Both were cartridge filters on the driver's side, top rear of the engine. Looked at my wife's 15 and it is the same. Did you have @sideseatdriver change the oil for you? :D:D

• really ? you don't have a cartridge filter..... did you do a filter relocation or is this stock ?

Clearly I'm all fucked up. I did my own 500 mi oil change a year ago in my front yard, and I thought I remembered taking a screwdriver to the filter because I couldn't reach it. Just went out there and took a quick look (as I am getting ready for date night, so it was a daring move on my part), and the set-up's not as I remember. So I either need to lay off the peyote, or my memory is just going, or I got it confused with the oil changes I'm doing in my dreams. So, disregard. I have no odea what I was thinking. ;(

I did, however, change the damn oil in the front yard with no jack or ramps. LOL

• Not sure what you have @KayTwo but I just changed my oil on the 15 before going to MV and changed the oil on my 17 as soon as I got back from MV. Both were cartridge filters on the driver's side, top rear of the engine. Looked at my wife's 15 and it is the same. Did you have @sideseatdriver change the oil for you? :D:D

What I have, apparently, is a terminal case of "Whatthefuckitis." :P