A little video from Tuesday fun.

• I was on our local volunteer fire dept for about 8 years active, and another 15 as reserve. Respect for what you do @Street Doc, and thank you for your service! It's pretty difficult to get a fire out like that... once the heat is there, the O2 is there, and the volatile fuel source keeps coming... it just keeps restarting. One of the last fire runs I was one was my neighbors house across the street. The heat had melted thru the top gauge part of the natural gas meter, and it was being fed from the pressurized gas in the line. That sounded like an angry animal when we arrived. First thing I did was use the nozzle on wide fog pattern to protect another firefighter while he shut off the feed at the base of the meter. Good times!

I got off the dept... or rather went to reserve for personal reasons. I live in a small close knit community, and I knew just about everyone in the area since I'd lived there since I was born. It's tough to see the heartbreak when someone loses their home. It's tougher if someone you know is in an accident that takes their life or puts them in critical care. I did it as long as I could, but it really started messing with my head over time. Watch a person dying while holding their hand or being right there with them... takes a special kind of person. I wanted to help my community, but I just couldn't adapt to dealing with things like that.

• I was on our local volunteer fire dept for about 8 years active, and another 15 as reserve. Respect for what you do @Street Doc, and thank you for your service! It's pretty difficult to get a fire out like that... once the heat is there, the O2 is there, and the volatile fuel source keeps coming... it just keeps restarting. One of the last fire runs I was one was my neighbors house across the street. The heat had melted thru the top gauge part of the natural gas meter, and it was being fed from the pressurized gas in the line. That sounded like an angry animal when we arrived. First thing I did was use the nozzle on wide fog pattern to protect another firefighter while he shut off the feed at the base of the meter. Good times!

I got off the dept... or rather went to reserve for personal reasons. I live in a small close knit community, and I knew just about everyone in the area since I'd lived there since I was born. It's tough to see the heartbreak when someone loses their home. It's tougher if someone you know is in an accident that takes their life or puts them in critical care. I did it as long as I could, but it really started messing with my head over time. Watch a person dying while holding their hand or being right there with them... takes a special kind of person. I wanted to help my community, but I just couldn't adapt to dealing with things like that.

Only someone who's been there knows what it's like. It has a way of turning you into a cynical person and you learn to turn off some feelings, but it always seems to get you somehow. I totally understand how you feel and there are plenty are people that are alive because of you and many more that you helped comfort in one of there most difficult and frightening times.
    Glad to know you brother!