helmet - do you use one?

• I am curious. I live in California so wearing a helmet is not optional unless you want a ticket. Personally on highways I would have one even if it was not the law just to protect from junk in the road. So I would like to know one simple thing - if you were going to wear a helmet which one would you choose - and why?

I got a skid lid 1/2 helmet included when I got my sling, but today I ordered this one https://www.bikerhelmets.com/c…-peak?variant=24638585093

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Yes for several reasons, my ex wife's first husband was hit at an intersection by a guy that ran a red light. He skidded across the road and his head hit a metal telephone pole....it didn't kill him, he laid in a coma for a year and then he died..wasn't wearing a helmet.

Second, I'm dating a girl now that had a traumatic brain injury from a car crash 25 years ago. She was given last rites. She was in an induced coma for two weeks because of brain swelling. She spent two years in a rehabilitation hospital learning how to do everything all over again. You can see a dead spot in her MRIs...she has lost some right side mobility but she is a walking miracle...

All that said I wrecked on my motorcycle in 1980 with my helmet on....I went off the road and about 20-30 feet into the woods...I let go of the handlebars and covered my face and head....I woke up at the base of a tree with a bloody nose, shoulder damage and a concussion....I've always ridden with a helmet and always will even though it's not required in PA.

Sure the wind in your hair feels good...how good will two years in rehabilitation feel..I know to each his own...

My best friends brother was hit on his motorcycle...big 6'2" all muscles.... He jumped up and told everyone he was fine....several weeks later he died from gangrene. He must have had internal injuries that weren't treated....probably thought he was just bruised.

We all know someone that was seriously hurt or killed in accidents...and today with every knucklehead texting instead of driving....you're odds are even higher that you'll be a statistic. How you come out of it will be determined by luck, and the grace of GOD and if you wore a helmet and seat belt that day.

• AH - the age old debate !! I have always been on the side of freedom of choice. There are very good points on both sides of the argument but it should be decided by the rider - NOT the government !! Personally I believe when it's your time --- it's your time. Hit an oil spot at Sturgis 2006 and me and my Streetglide went end over end through some very big rocks. Just about scalped me like an Indian but myself and the bike survived. By right that should been it for me BUT ....it wasn't my time to go !!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• AH - the age old debate !! I have always been on the side of freedom of choice. There are very good points on both sides of the argument but it should be decided by the rider - NOT the government !! Personally I believe when it's your time --- it's your time. Hit an oil spot at Sturgis 2006 and me and my Streetglide went end over end through some very big rocks. Just about scalped me like an Indian but myself and the bike survived. By right that should been it for me BUT ....it wasn't my time to go !!

Bill - don't take this the wrong way but did you ever think maybe neither place wanted another lawyer - so they let you move on....
    love ya brother!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

I wear a helmet, but I have it protecting my crotch. I figured that brain controls most of what i do, so why bother protecting the other brain

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Ok, so I bought the Sena cavalry helmet today and had a chance to try it out and this is my review.

1. Very light wt. and much cooler than my 3/4

2. The sound from the speakers was much better than I could ever hope for with the ear pads in. ( Did not try without them ) I could hear my music loud and clear to 80mph and my daughter called just to test that function also she said she could hear me with no problem at 80mph. I have a 7in Madstad windshield so I have very little wind noise.

3. Did not get to try the bike to bike but I am sure that will be fine based on the phone function.

4. It doesn't have any drop down sun shade or any type of visor I will have to get used to that.

All in all very happy with this helmet I think it will be much better on very hot days but I will keep my 3/4 close on trips in case of rain or cold.

:GRAYSS: Its all about that base :HEADERSS::MOTOROILSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch, Welter duels

• Thanks for the review
    I was looking at that same helmet - I have radios in my full face but rarely ever use them, I was looking for something in a half helmet with a radio. They look nice as well.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I carry one to get out of a potential "stop ride" if I get stopped by a LEO, but don't wear it. Can't see the benefit if I'm wearing a seatbelt, but that's my opinion and preference. I am aware of what the law says and am willing to take responsibility for my actions if the time comes.

My reasoning is that if a Jeep with all doors and top removed doesn't require a helmet by law, how much difference is there, theoretically and lawfully, with a Sling?

• I carry one to get out of a potential "stop ride" if I get stopped by a LEO, but don't wear it. Can't see the benefit if I'm wearing a seatbelt, but that's my opinion and preference. I am aware of what the law says and am willing to take responsibility for my actions if the time comes.

My reasoning is that if a Jeep with all doors and top removed doesn't require a helmet by law, how much difference is there, theoretically and lawfully, with a Sling?

The short answer is the NHSTA has given the Jeep its seal of approval and the Sling it has not. That is not to say, in theory, you will be any safer in a Jeep rollover than a Sling rollover. Hope that explains it a little

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• The short answer is the NHSTA has given the Jeep its seal of approval and the Sling it has not. That is not to say, in theory, you will be any safer in a Jeep rollover than a Sling rollover. Hope that explains it a little

Yeah, I understand that and you're right, who knows what happens in a crash, but governmental seals of approval are often purchased through the power of lobbying. Personally, probably good the NTSB and NHSTA haven't taken closer looks at the sling, more regulations would hurt the fun factor, most likely. Safety is as safety does, everything is inherently dangerous in some form.

• In Manitoba, Law requires a helmet. So I do wear one most of the time.

However, as soon as we cross that line heading South, they come off where allowed.

Yes, there are reasons to wear them, and it has protected me from more than a few stones flying through the air. However, the open feel of the Slingshot can really only be enjoyed without the helmet on.

• I ordered this one last Friday - Carbonator, Flat Black with Peak

It seems to get great reviews and at under one pound in weight I doubt there is anything smaller and lighter

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies