Hugger fender info

• Ok I bought a hugger type fender and it didn't come with installation instructions. There is a place where you need to drill and tap the swing arm. I need to know the drill and tap size and if it's metric or standard. Pictures of the entire instructions would be great

• Ok I bought a hugger type fender and it didn't come with installation instructions. There is a place where you need to drill and tap the swing arm. I need to know the drill and tap size and if it's metric or standard. Pictures of the entire instructions would be great

This is what comes with Metricks fenders:

Available on Amazon:

Kawasaki 840490 8Mm-1.25 Tap & 6.8mm Drill Bit, - - Amazon.com

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• Thanks I'll order this. Bought it used. No instructions and no drill bit or tap. I need to know how deep to drill the hole.

You drill all the way through. Use some grease to catch the filings. Watch the installation videos.

• Thanks everyone, I just found the drill video and ordered the bit and tap.....

Side note .... my Kawasaki dealers doesn't sell those items nor can they even order them and the number on the card isn't a valid part number for Kawasaki .... Ordered if on Amazon ...

• Side note .... my Kawasaki dealers doesn't sell those items nor can they even order them and the number on the card isn't a valid part number for Kawasaki ....

That's like going to the Honda car dealership and asking for parts for your Honda lawn mower.

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• If they can't get you the lawn mower parts they should change their name..

Now. Back to the regularly scheduled fender questions.....

Some of these fenders come with a license plate relocation bracket. Does the license plate need to be moved to complete this fender installation?

• .I don't really see a reason to have a hole all the way though the arm at the weakest point. That area is at least over an inch thick....a half inch of threads is plenty to hold that fender mount. I'm going to try half a hole first....which might end up being 5/8-3/4 inch deep after I look at the swing arm again...

• I work at Remington firearms, but there is also mens shavers/grooming kits, and blowdryers, and curling irons, even pocket knives.... made by a company named remington.. not the same company though.. :D

Remington typewriters.... anybody got any of those? They're worth money.. those are the first products made by Eliphalet Remington... and the only product other than firearms that Remington produced.

Maybe there are two Kawasaki's...
    Good thing @Tripod is here to tell you exactly where to find everything... :thumbsup:

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

Edited once, last by Guardian_Angel ().

• .I don't really see a reason to have a hole all the way though the arm at the weakest point. That area is at least over an inch thick....a half inch of threads is plenty to hold that fender mount. I'm going to try half a hole first....which might end up being 5/8-3/4 inch deep after I look at the swing arm again...

How to drill & tap swingarm for Metricks fender installation. Video provided by Metricks, designers of the fender:

[Note that you drill all the way through (like I said), using a 1/8" pilot drill bit, followed by the bit in the kit I referenced. The reason for this is to have a smooth bore with no possible place for stress fracturing to form. This boss area is thick & strong, not sure where your "weakest point" statement is coming from...?!?! Follow the damn directions from the guys that engineered it!]

• yep. That video is very thorough and explains step by step by step, and even gives WARNINGS of WHAT NOT TO DO.. unless replacing your swingarm or having a smoking cock-eyed metricks fender is desired. :thumbsup:
    Whatever floats your boat is what I say. Try water... but maybe oil will work too.

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• I watched this video and I still say that is the most critical part of the swing arm so why would you want to weaken it by drilling a hole right in the middle of it? I will try to go halfway through and see how that works. If I can get a half inch of threads in the hole it should be plenty......and I'd be really happy with that much....I can always go the rest of the way I'd I need to but ...I think the swing arm integrity is more important..

I just ordered a bottom tap also....

• Well after looking closely at the swing arm it appears to be a hollow casting. So when he says he's drilling all the way through. He means through one side wall not the entire swing arm From being a maintenance welder in a steel mill I've seen and fixed every kind of equipment failure you can describe. So I know what will cause structural failures in metal and drilling a hole through the swing arm had it been solid at that critical stress point could..... Could weaken it. Even drilling a hole in one side of the hollow arm at this particular area I'm not crazy about. But since I don't intend to brutalize my swing arm doing burn outs and drifting. It should be ok.