How much can a Slingshot pull?

• We drove my sling back from MV and on my shift in the middle of bumm f Indiana im cursing around 80ish and I hit a section of the highway that had buckled. The sling must have caught a few inches of air over it and landed somewhat sideways. Scared the living shot out of me!

amazed-squared I bet that woke you up!

• Hydroplaing does not care how many wheels you have. Hydroplaning is directly related to the psi of the tire' s contact point to the surface. The higher the psi, the better ability to keep the tread in contact with the surface. That's why a really wide tire will lift on top of the water before a narrow tire does.
    The light weight of the rear end of the sling combined with a wide tire is what makes the rear tire kick out quickly when you hit standing water.

Not a good feeling at all! I was on the long bridge in Louisiana and got sideways... the song "nowhere to run to nowhere to hide" came to mind!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• We drove my sling back from MV and on my shift in the middle of bumm f Indiana im cursing around 80ish and I hit a section of the highway that had buckled. The sling must have caught a few inches of air over it and landed somewhat sideways. Scared the living shot out of me!

Is there going to be a sale on a slightly used SLR drivers seat in the future? :D:D

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Does Polaris recommend a suggested top end speed?

Polaris recommends us to obey all traffic laws, including the speed limit. :D

If you're asking a factory quoted top speed, then 130 mph is the number (but you'll need to be in 4th gear).

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• I've towed this guy behind My Goldwing for years before the sling and now I've had it on I few trips with the sling.The SS does not even feel it back there and I've had it over 120 (passing of course 8o ). What @MiM was referring too was on my xcountry to Colorado last year I hit some pretty heavy storms and not so much because of the weight, but I'm thinking because it's pulling me back that I never felt that I was even close to Hydroplaning. I'm talking can't see shit out the front kind of storms with heavy water on the road (that was actually the worse part, but another story altogether) but as far as the hydroplaning was concerned, not an issue. I tested it too because of everything I've read about people hydroplaning. The pucker factor was really high at first but as I pressed on I gained more confidence in that it was not going anywhere. I use the wycked hitch though, not one of the swingarm mounted ones. The push/pull effect is on the entire SS, not just the swingarm

That's the thing though. With the Sling, it's all going just fine, UNTIL it isn't.

I'll repeat.... Hydroplaning is real ... This thread is worth reading.

As for towing, I'll agree with what people have already said on here. Towing should be kept simple. Just because you "can" tow something, doesn't mean you "should" tow it. I will agree that towing with the Sling is impressive, and while it is capable of something, I would advise caution.

To put it another way, I have seen videos on this forum where the Sling is pulling something you would never subject a Cobalt to. (Example above)

This is of course my opinion, although I have attended many accidents due to towing mishaps where one could easily see a chain of bad decisions leading to towing a load that was far too heavy for the vehicle towing it.

• Re-reading my post, I wish to be clear on something. I am not putting down the ability of the hitch available through Alpha or Wycked. I use an Alpha due to cost, but it also makes me aware of the weight limit that needs to be respected. I know I simply can't overload that hitch.

My concern is the train of thought that leads to a Slingshot being pushed by both a trailer and another Slingshot. Without support from a braking system on that trailer, you are asking for trouble. The brakes on a normal Sling barely make a panic stop on their own. Add that weight to the equation.....

THAT is my only concern.

Earlier, I mentioned this, and I respected that Wycked needs to product test their hitch to an extreme level, because lord knows someone else will do it. But to then post this video, it says that it is safe to always tow this at all times. People will then go the next step and load up even heavier.

Bottom line, these things are classed as Motorcycles, and they should be used & abused at that level. If you can't do it with a bike, don't do it with a Sling.

(By the way, not picking a fight.....purley my point of view up for debate)

• The video I posted was of Noel from Cycle springs doing a demo of the Wycked hitch system he did not go very far it was just a demo.

:GRAYSS: Its all about that base :HEADERSS::MOTOROILSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch, Welter duels

• The video I posted was of Noel from Cycle springs doing a demo of the Wycked hitch system he did not go very far it was just a demo.

Oh I absolutely agree. It was for demo purposes. But, to the layman, that says to me, "I can tow anything that is just as heavy as my Sling" Which isn't the message that needs to be send.

While it is impressive to see, it should go with a cautionary tale of "Don't try this at home".

• Oh I absolutely agree. It was for demo purposes. But, to the layman, that says to me, "I can tow anything that is just as heavy as my Sling" Which isn't the message that needs to be send.

While it is impressive to see, it should go with a cautionary tale of "Don't try this at home".

Yup no disclaimer, no "for demonstration purposes only", and worse of all no respect or consideration for the other drivers on the public roads he traveled .... so the viewer is left to believe he is approving of use in this manner ....

Irresponsible for anyone, more-so for a business owner ........

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Just be really careful. I became pretty confident riding in heavy rain over the past two years. That all changed last week when the back end kicked out with out warning at 60 mph when all three wheels floated. Being 90 degrees to the road and about 8 inches from the guard rail changed my mind about riding in the rain.

@Slingrazor I'm glad you were able to control that spin. I still really try to avoid riding the sling in the rain period. Unless it's absolutely necessary, I'd rather park and wait it out. I will say that when I've been caught in rain with vs without the trailer I feel much safer with the added weight and effect of the trailer than without. It's something one must experience to really understand. Without the effects of the trailer back there, these things feel absolutely unstable as hell.
    I want to qualify this with what many have mentioned, I tow a trailer designed for a towing behind motorcycles, not a car.

• @Slingrazor I'm glad you were able to control that spin. I still really try to avoid riding the sling in the rain period. Unless it's absolutely necessary, I'd rather park and wait it out. I will say that when I've been caught in rain with vs without the trailer I feel much safer with the added weight and effect of the trailer than without. It's something one must experience to really understand. Without the effects of the trailer back there, these things feel absolutely unstable as hell.I want to qualify this with what many have mentioned, I tow a trailer designed for a towing behind motorcycles, not a car.

I do understand what you are saying.
    I pulled an Aluminite trailer behind the Sling for about 6000 miles our first year. We could hardly tell it was back there.

• I just saw a picture of how the frame mounted hitches mount...the down force would be the biggest concern...too much tongue weight could cause the backend to drop lower in front of the swing arm creating less ground clearance....that should be something everyone checks....and that would also mean loading the weight of the trailer properly.... Trailer hitches and trailer tongues should be level when attached.... Not tilted up or down...