Stock rear SL rim - how wide of a tire?

• tried to ask the question on older threads to keep the number down and to also not get the " use the search function" comment but no results. Please forgive.

Ordered 235/40/18 Nitto 555 G2's for the front and need the matching tire for the rear.

Will the 285/30 fit or is it too wide? Currently running a 275/30/20

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• @Ruptured Duck I installed the Nitto 555 g2 in 285 30 20 on mine and it does well. It is 1/4 inch smaller in diameter than stock so the speedometer is off just a little.

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• @Ruptured Duck I installed the Nitto 555 g2 in 285 30 20 on mine and it does well. It is 1/4 inch smaller in diameter so the speedometer is off just a little.

thanks... The 275/30/20 is 26.54 and the 285/30/20 is 26.77

It will be closer than my current tire.
    It's also gonna be about 1/2" wider.

Just needed confirmation before spending the cash.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• I went with the Nitto NT555 G2 285/30/20 but my dealer won't put it on the rear tire. They are staying it's too wide.

I did the research as much as possible only to be told it won't fit.

I am not to much of a gear head, so please bare with me on this.

• I went with the Nitto NT555 G2 285/30/20 but my dealer won't put it on the rear tire. They are staying it's too wide.

I did the research as much as possible only to be told it won't fit.

I am not to much of a gear head, so please bare with me on this.

It will fit. Dealer must not want the work. Take it to a tire store and ask them to mount it. That is a directional tire so you will have to show them which way it mounts.
    It fits fine.

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• It will fit. Dealer must not want the work. Take it to a tire store and ask them to mount it. That is a directional tire so you will have to show them which way it mounts.It fits fine.

Thanks Rob!!

I'm pretty sure they took it to a 'tire place' they were worried about sidewall being damage due to it being wide?

Dealer kept trying to get me to re-buy the stock tire.

• It will fit. Dealer must not want the work. Take it to a tire store and ask them to mount it. That is a directional tire so you will have to show them which way it mounts.It fits fine.

Nice hand grenade! :thumbsup:

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• Actually, the dealer probably wanted closer to $300 for a $130 tire.
    Technically, Nitto calls for a 9.5" wide rim for their 555 G2 285/30ZR20 tire. - NT555 G2 Summer Ultra High Performance Tire

That's why I was asking and the only real reason I went with the 275 the last go around. For this next rear tire I really want that little extra width and just wanted long term feedback.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• Actually, the dealer probably wanted closer to $300 for a $130 tire.

It was a joke but just for general information ....

The Kenda Kaiser K20 255-35ZR20 can be had for an average of around $80 - Polaris no longer has them specially made with "Slingshot" on the sidewall.

One source : $78.93 - Kenda Kaiser (KR20) - tires | Buy Kenda Kaiser (KR20) tires at SimpleTire

Polaris lists the same for $238 retail .....

TIRE, REAR, PREM., 255 [T15AAPF]

........ nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Isn't that just insane. I just saw those on SimpleTire today and laughed. I have been running the Federal 595 EVO and its has been a good tire for the $85 I paid for it. Its been on 2 Slings and covered about 8K miles. Its not down to the bar but close. Its performed good in the rain that i have been in.

There are some good inexpensive tires if that is what you are looking for. Federal is the oldest Taiwan manufacture. Federal Tyres - Corporate - History

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• @Neosolidus I believe the 275 is something like 26.6" tall and the stock 255 is 27" so very little difference. I never noticed any drastic speed indication.

Edit: 275/30/20 is 26.54 and the 285/30/20 is 26.77

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• don't know nothing about no damn tires, but a little birdie told me that if you reduce your side wall height you will also reduce your grip on corners! On a rear SL rim think about going a 275/35/20 instead of a 275/30/20. And after much testing I would say the BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2 is one of the best tires I've had.

I also would say that the expert in this field is @Slingrazor for sure as I believe he has the best set up I've ever seen and his slingshot seemed to just become part of the road.
    I do know that a 275 is listed as OK to put on the stock SL rim but the 285 is slightly over size for that wheel.

• don't know nothing about no damn tires, but a little birdie told me that if you reduce your side wall height you will also reduce your grip on corners! On a rear SL rim think about going a 275/35/20 instead of a 275/30/20. And after much testing I would say the BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2 is one of the best tires I've had.

I also would say that the expert in this field is @Slingrazor for sure as I believe he has the best set up I've ever seen and his slingshot seemed to just become part of the road.
    I do know that a 275 is listed as OK to put on the stock SL rim but the 285 is slightly over size for that wheel.

@Painter I think the next set of tires will include new wheels. I'm going to go with either a 18" or a 19" out back for the very reason you note. The 20" rear is just to tall with anything other than a 35 or under in my opinion. I like off the line speed and my N/A sling needs all the help it can get.

(Slingshot Owners Group)