Catastrophic brake failure issue

• On my 40 minute ride to the dealer today 10 minutes into it my RED BRAKE FAILURE light came on....indicating a major malfunction....so I tried the brakes and the pedal was nice and strong....yesterday I installed my new brake pedal reinforcement bracket...so I thought it could be related to that somehow.....but the brakes worked nice and strong the rest of the ride...when I got to the dealer I shut it down and restarted the bike and did about 15 laps around their building trying to get the light to come on again. Nothing.

When the garage opened I brought the service guy out and hold him about the light and showed him the bracket ....he said they know about this brake sensor issue with the 2015s and it should be logged in the computer memory how many times it came on.....now I'm wondering why this wasn't a recall issue? Seems to me a false brake failure indicator would be a reason for a recall...

• Not to be picky but this is not even close to catastrophic failure.

Catastrophic failure means you are doing "XXX"mph and the brakes fail to work which results in a crash.......

What you are experiencing is a common issue for some slingshot.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Any red light on your dash means you are facing eminent death or is associated with death and you should be prepared and have your life in order...

RED Seat belt light...eminent death
    RED Brake failure...eminent death
    RED Oil light ...eminent death of your motor
    RED water light ...eminent death of your motor
    RED Battery light...eminent death...of the battery...
    Your dash board is at any moment a pending death indicator..

• Are you referring to the ABS light indicator? In your testing were you testing the conventional brake system or were you testing the anti-lock brake system? I believe the owner's manual advises that you go to the dealer if the light is on. Dealers are aware of the issue from a previous service bulletin if I remember correctly. I believe the owner's manual advises that while the anti-lock brake system is malfunctioning that the conventional breaks will continue to work fine. Most certainly a issue that must be looked into but no imminent death if proper cautions are taken. Hope your dealer gets you squared away quickly and your back on the road soon

• Speed sensor so ABS indicator. Not the red parking break indicator. So no death but caution as your ABS has been disabled. They'll get that speed sensor swapped out for you and you'll be good to go with ABS in no time.

• Oh man, that sucks! I know your frustration! My "Change Oil" light comes on every 3000 miles... :/

I always have to take it in to the dealer so they can turn it off! I should ask if they have a recall for that!

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• Brake sensor replacement was a recall in 2015. Had mine replaced October 2015. Now having intermittent warning light. Not concerned just don't like the cruise control not working since I'm on a cross country trip.

• Calm down and listen for a second ....

To quote Judge Judy "god gave you two ears and one mouth for a reason" ....... hippie-squared

This is not...I repeat..is not a "catastrophic failure" or even a failure of any system that would effect your safety in any way (the reason it is not a recall, the recall mentioned above is a different animal)

The ONLY thing that happens when a brake pressure sensor fails is the little red light comes on in your dash and your cruise control will no longer work.

There are two sensors, one on the front brake circuit, and one on the rear rear circuit that sense pressure at the master cylinder to deactivate your cruise control. This is such a minor fault that the ECU does not log an error code....so what he said is not so .... most times shutting of the ignition then restarting clears the fault..but it will come back .....

As was mentioned this is a known condition, an easy fix, and Polaris will take care of it .. just make sure your dealer replaces both sensors and their related sealing washers ....

Then know it will probably happen again some time in the future ..... so take a deep breath and please...with your primal fear of red lights....never visit Amsterdam ...

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Red or yellow lights were always lit on my dash for the first 10,000 miles. I had a set of bad pressure sensors and a bad brake light switch.. Now with the Haltech I don't have traction control enabled anymore. It's just me and my reflexes that keep everything in check. When she slips you just ease up a tiny bit off the gas. I can turn it on but it's not nearly as much fun. .... I do have ABS though. And it works well.

• Ahh, yes. Nuclear sunset orange. Completely undesirable.

Perfecting the art of a rolling restart (neutral, key off, key on) clears that light. And prevents nuclear sunsets. A trip to your favorite dealer helps too.

• Ahh, yes. Nuclear sunset orange. Completely undesirable.

Perfecting the art of a rolling restart (neutral, key off, key on) clears that light. And prevents nuclear sunsets. A trip to your favorite dealer helps too.

Back when I had the brake sensor problem and would do a rolling restart instead of pulling over to a stop before restarting, the brake light would go off, but the Cruise Control wouldn't work again until I finally learned to try a hard accleration after the restart and I could then resume using the CC.

• No I know why my cruise control didn't work when I tried to put it on.... So the computer memory will show the codes that happened.

Yes, the codes will show..Mine have been changed out twice. Common issue, fairly quick fix and no big deal. Biggest pain is the loss of the cruise control. I was 800 miles from home both times I got the dreaded "catastrophic" red light.

• Mine have been changed out 4 times. Sensors from Mexico, washers from Japan, gaskets from China. If I was not plastered at 7 am, I could tell you the part numbers.

After 4 repairs, I appear to be good. Though I live in fear of a sling without a warranty....