Wheel Size: 20 or 22in for performance?

• About to pull the trigger on some new wheels/tires tonight and wanted to get some feedback...

I fell in love with the SPEC-1 MONOTEC SPM-80 wheels and was looking to do either a 20x9 front / 20x10.5 rear (running Proxes R888 315 by Toyo) ~ OR ~ a 22x9 front / 22x10.5 rear (would love to run the Proxes 315's on this config, but am afraid it will screw up the traction control??)

Thinking of staying with the 20's as I know they will work ~> but the 22's look sweet too, and I'd like to pull them off with the bigger track tires, if possible?

Thoughts / Suggestions ?(

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• There will be many opinions on this so I will give you my 2 cents
    I stayed with the stock base 17" front and 18" rear so that I could get the maximum sidewall height - strictly a performance issue.
    Most of the bigger rims will give you less sidewall - not as good on performance and a little harder ride. Since you need to keep the circumference of the tire as close as possible to stock when you increase rim diameter you lose sidewall.
    If you are just looking for appearance -not an issue - performance could be an issue. Before you pull the plug see if you can find someone with a rim size similar to what you want and drive the SS. If you like the feel go for it!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• There will be many opinions on this so I will give you my 2 cents
    I stayed with the stock base 17" front and 18" rear so that I could get the maximum sidewall height - strictly a performance issue.
    Most of the bigger rims will give you less sidewall - not as good on performance and a little harder ride. Since you need to keep the circumference of the tire as close as possible to stock when you increase rim diameter you lose sidewall.
    If you are just looking for appearance -not an issue - performance could be an issue. Before you pull the plug see if you can find someone with a rim size similar to what you want and drive the SS. If you like the feel go for it!

Sounds like a plan... I'll keep my eyes open in MV for a comparable config before I get them (lol, convincing someone to let me roll their sling should be interesting)! :whistling:

Signature.png

• Sounds like a plan... I'll keep my eyes open in MV for a comparable config before I get them (lol, convincing someone to let me roll their sling should be interesting)! :whistling:

@ericastar76
    Not as difficult as you think @Rob the Slob let me run his supercharged sling for a demo and he sold me on the DDM love.... just ask nicely and bat your eyes I am sure they will let drive ;(

• @ericastar76Not as difficult as you think @Rob the Slob let me run his supercharged sling for a demo and he sold me on the DDM love.... just ask nicely and bat your eyes I am sure they will let drive ;(

Nice pro-tip ~> Did you use that tactic with @Rob the Slob ? :00008084:

Oh yeah, tell me again why your not coming to MV? :POKESS: *I'm asking nicely and batting my eyes!!!

Signature.png

• Because it is roughly 2294 miles away one way from San Diego so I would have to pass up both Texas and Colorado

Oh and this little thing called work gets in my way

Well, next time I'm in LA ~> plan on doing a Tijuana run with me and some of my girlfriends who live in the valley! :thumbsup: *all work and no play, makes @Cywolv a dull boy!

Signature.png

• Personally, I'd avoid the 22" wheels simply because tires that size are very expensive and seem to be more about looks than performance. At least that's the impression I got from other tire/wheel threads. Tires for 22" wheels lack the relative abundance of choices that are available for smaller wheel sizes.
    Also, based on what I've read, if you change wheel and tire sizes, try to keep the ratio of changes for the front and rear tires as close as possible to the ratios of the stock fronts and rear. Also, try to keep the overall diameter of each wheel as close as possible to the diameter of the stock tire/wheels. The nanny systems seem to work fine as long as the diameters are within 2% of the original diameters. 2-4% difference may still work, but you're getting close to having problems. Over 4% diameter difference and the nanny controls will start giving problems.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Smaller wheels = lighter weight = more power !!

A little more in depth, The big 20 + inch wheels are really heavy and can significantly reduce the power output at the rear wheel.
    And like @MACAWS said you do want to have a bit more side wall and not just the little rubber band. Give the tire some chance to try and grip.
    Our DDMWorks sling has 18 in the front and 19 in the back. We have seen some with 18's all the way around that look cool too.

:thumbup:

Jeff Mellor
    DDMWorks
    119A Highway 183
    Piedmont, SC 29673
    Orders - 864-438-4949
    Tech Support - 864-907-6004
    www.DDMWorks.com

• I have posted this before. I am running a 295 45 18 rear that gives me a lot of side wall for flex. It grips really well. The front has the 265 35 18s that grip real well.
    I know others keep talking ratio front to rear. Mine are not close to the stock SL ratio and everything works. My Speedo is off by 3 mph. When I am showing 60 the actual speed is 63.
    @Bill Martin and @dangerdarrell can chime in with their opinions on how well it grips with about 320 HP.

• Thanks everyone for chiming in... here is the balance which I think will work best for what I'm looking for (I was able to find and purchase this config last night after staying up to 3AM scouring the web)! LINK

@Jeff@DDMWorks, I hope I didn't hose myself on HP... But, I HAVE TO HAVE THESE! Got them in 20in.

Signature.png

• @Slingrazor peaked my interest with the wheel/tire combination that he is running so I did a comparison to the rear wheel and tire that I am running. This is a general comparison based on size and not actual numbers. The overall diameter and size are almost the same, but look at the weight comparison, Trent's wheel/tire weight is 12# lighter than mine which would give him the performance edge!

• I drove Trent's SS because I really wanted to see how the sc felt. He had told me about his wheel and tire combo but I really wasn't thinking about that as much as seeing how the sc changed the actual increased hp feel. I have to say, I was amazed at how well the rear tire hooked up. 8o The power is smooth and instant. I expected the tire to break loose and just spin but that wasn't how it works. Of course you spin the tire some but I have been able to do that with almost all of my 52 vehicles over the years. This power felt more like my last 427 Vette. You are immediately pinned back and every shift was the same. My wife loved it too and said I need the sc on my Sling (which she wants and wants me to get another one).
    Thanks to Trent I may have to go back to work to pay for all this. ;(

• @Slingrazor peaked my interest with the wheel/tire combination that he is running so I did a comparison to the rear wheel and tire that I am running. This is a general comparison based on size and not actual numbers. The overall diameter and size are almost the same, but look at the weight comparison, Trent's wheel/tire weight is 12# lighter than mine which would give him the performance edge!

Now you are on to me...Add that to being able to run the rear tire between 20 and 25 psi with flex of the sidewall....launch time.

If I were to guess, my front/rear stock SLR weight is about 150 pounds for all three.

I should gain a few pounds with these new rims and tires ~> probably come in at around 175 pounds for all three

*Coffee hasn't kicked in yet, so my math may be a little off...

Signature.png

• Now you are on to me...Add that to being able to run the rear tire between 20 and 25 psi with flex of the sidewall....launch time.

Oh, I have been on to you for a while! I am not going to join in on the hp/performance race. It is all in fun and many enjoy the chase. I no longer have the desire but I do enjoy a well rounded great performing machine so I will live in your shadow.

• Oh, I have been on to you for a while! I am not going to join in on the hp/performance race. It is all in fun and many enjoy the chase. I no longer have the desire but I do enjoy a well rounded great performing machine so I will live in your shadow.

My belief is there is only so much usable power. 300 HP with the ability to hook up beats 400 HP on most days. Especially in the turns. If I ever push the HP to 400 it will be with a quad rear end.

• If I were to guess, my front/rear stock SLR weight is about 150 pounds for all three.
    I should gain a few pounds with these new rims and tires ~> probably come in at around 175 pounds for all three

*Coffee hasn't kicked in yet, so my math may be a little off...

You might be surprised on the weight difference. The SLR wheels are much lighter than other Polaris wheels. IMO they are truly premium wheels. I don't know the actual weights but it is noticeable when your grab one for mounting.